• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shell Cordovan Video - Fantastic

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is great, and even better that its in HD. Its also making me want to buy those C&J shells you are selling even more...
frown.gif

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really cool -- thanks for the link!

Any math geniuses out there add up how long the process takes, start to finish? There were a lot of "30 days" and "90 days" getting thrown around...

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Really cool -- thanks for the link!

Any math geniuses out there add up how long the process takes, start to finish? There were a lot of "30 days" and "90 days" getting thrown around...

150 days + however long it takes to do the rest of the work

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could have used some footage of live horses, then some shots of horses at the slaughterhouse, then maybe something showing hides being stripped from the carcasses, etc.

With some nice guitar music in the background.

All in HD.

Cool...

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZON_JR
Could have used some footage of live horses, then some shots of horses at the slaughterhouse, then maybe something showing hides being stripped from the carcasses, etc. With some nice guitar music in the background.
How many people reading this do you think do not sense the sarcasm? LOL

hxh_killua

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZON_JR
Could have used some footage of live horses, then some shots of horses at the slaughterhouse, then maybe something showing hides being stripped from the carcasses, etc.

With some nice guitar music in the background.

All in HD.

Cool...

I was told they took the hides from when the horse dies; hence, the premium prices in comparison of calf hides.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hxh_killua
I was told they took the hides from when the horse dies; hence, the premium prices in comparison of calf hides.

I'm pretty sure there are not massive horse farms with slaughterhouses decapitating a hundred horses a day to satisfy the enormous demand for shell cordovan.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you NYR for the link!
Here was the other one posted before. It is different.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting that they trim so much off to make the "figure 8". I wonder if that excess is thrown away? Processed into some other horsehide?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hxh_killua
They sure do, only the horses don't die of old age. Approximately 86,000 horses are slaughtered in Canada for the USA every year. Live horses shipped from the USA to Canada, slaughtered in Canada, then hides and meat shipped back to the USA, or maybe the meat is shipped to France, I can't remember. Google 'equine slaughter' for details.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sort of confused by these "shaving processes," that the hides go through. Does this mean the cordovan shells aren't full grain?

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
I'm sort of confused by these "shaving processes," that the hides go through. Does this mean the cordovan shells aren't full grain?

That would be my understanding. I found the video very interesting, but I'm having a hard time buying into the concept of cordovan as a 'natural' product - it seems to go through what, in any other context, would be perceived as very aggressive processing - hanging in vats of pretty serious chemicals for 75 days, being tumbled in hot vats of fat, having the top face shaved off etc...

I'll state for the record that I have three pairs of cordovan shoes, so I'm not entirely against the stuff. I just find the repulsion over corrected grain versus the love of cordovan to be a little incongruous.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads