• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shaving Cream/Oil/Gel/Foam..

Bouji

Reaction score
I use the following:

Anthony Logistics Shave Cream - Good lather, comfortable, does not really aid a closer shave though, about as close as one would get with a standard aerosol. Nice fruity scent. Not too thick, so does not clog the razor. Expensive, but then again you get away with using less. High Glycerin content so moisturizes and cleanses well. It contains Hops, which really helps, the hops numbs your face a bit, so if your beard is too short (perhaps a late shave the day before) you can still shave at full force.

The Real Shaving Co. Shave Cream - Too creamy for my liking, for the price (its only 3.50 GBP, which is not more than Gillette) its not bad, but it also lathers up too much, and its hard to get just a bit out of its small cap. No great scent, and needs a really good moisturizer after it, because the shave cream itself does not absorb much of its moisture into my skin.

Cariad Shave Gel - Has Peppermint, Tea Tree, and Lavender Essential oils. Not bad for use once in a while. It’s a bit like using soap, because when you lather up with a brush, it leaves a clear soapy like substance on my face. It smells pretty good but not as strong as I would like. It’s probably good for sensitive skin, but mines not and this is far to light, I like something more creamy and moisturizing. I'm sure a non astringent soap would do the same job, which said it’s not too expensive.

Kiehl's Blue Eagle Shave Cream Green - It’s impossible to use this stuff with a shave brush, which I always use, and thus one needs to use a lot more, and thus the price is ridiculous. 1 tube lasts me little over 2 weeks, and at just over 25 pounds per tube, that's ridiculous for a shave cream that is just above average in the grand scale of things. When I was in the US the same tube was $15, so it costs a lot more here. Its pretty good whist shaving, very moisturizing, and gives a closer shave than most, however after washing it off, it suffers the same fate as The Real Shaving Co. Shave Cream, you need an amazing post shave moisturizer, because none of it is absorbed, and its benefits are only whist you shave. Plus it clogs the razor; you need a pressure washer to clean your razor!

American Crew Shave Cream - Very strong menthol, a bit too strong, lather amount is just right with a shave brush, gives a marginally closer shave than standard substances, its post shave moisturizing ability is average, i.e. better than Kiehl's and Real Shave Co. It does, however leave a bit of razor burn, possibly because it has too much menthol etc.

L'OCCITANE en Provence Cade shave cream - This stuff is perfect, if a little expensive, simple good scent, Juniper, which is just strong enough and nice. Moisturizes just right during and after the shave, although I do use the Cade post shave moisturizer and energizing gel after, I could easily get away with out them. No razor burn, no cuts, lathers just right. Only negatives are that it is a bit too creamy, so you need to rinse the razor a lot, but at the same time it’s not thick, so it’s a simple rinse, not cloggage as with Kiehl's

As for oil, I sometimes use Johnson’s baby oil with a few drops of tea tree or lavender essential oil as a base alongside the shave cream, but not too often.

Let's hear which you use.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Vulfix luxury shaving cream (lavendar) and L'oreal Comfort Max after shave balm.

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I use Vulfix luxury shaving cream (lavendar) and L'oreal Comfort Max after shave balm.

I've never tried Vulfix, its the kind of stuff you find in isolated villages here in England... I hear good things about it.

I used to use L'oreal Comfort Max, but found it too watery, and somewhat astringent.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite shaving cream is some Nivea stuff that comes in a tube. I don't think it's available in the US; I bought a multiyear stash of it in Dubai...

Of course, I use my Mach 3 over it. I don't have half an hour a day to shave. I prefer to get the job done in half a minute.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I thought Vulfix only made brushes.
you learn something new everyday.

i use cremo cream. it is the best lubricating cream in the world and it doesn't need a brush.

proraso red is also very good. it is slightly better than khiel's, and costs less.

i put khiel's at number 3, but i've only used the unscented, unmentholated version.

p.s. when i say 'better', i'm referring to lubrucation.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
i use either the L'Occitane shaving soap or the Body Shop shaving cream (the tub one).

Very happy with both.

mr_economy

Reaction score
Nancy Boy is my standard/favorite cream. Every now and then I'll use Prorasso or Kiss My Face.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
First of all - Wow!!

(its only 3.50 GBP, which is not more than Gillette)
3.50 GPB for Gillette! That's like $7 a can right? That's insane.

I use Gillette Series Foam, but I pay no more than $2.99 a can and most of the time I buy it on sale for less.

Gillette Foamy is good too and that's only $1.99 a can.

Sometimes I'll even buy cheap Barbasol foam for $.99 a can.

I'm really not picky - any foam will do, but I can't stand shave gels.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent lubrication: Proraso Green. Strong eucalyptus scent. Use it when I shave in the mornings, works well to wake me up.
Truefitt & Hill 1805. Excellent scent but I am sensitive to it. Lubricates pretty damn well, also.
Geo F. Trumper Rose / Geo F. Trumper Violet: WOW. Love the scents, work very well for me. Lathering becomes a sheer joy with these (sounds like a contricved advertisement for GFT).

Englandmj7

Reaction score
I have products from each of the "Three T's": Trueffitt & Hill, Trumper, and Taylor of Old Bond St. My favorites are T&H's "Ultimate Comfort," "West Indian Limes" and Taylor "Almond" and "St. James"

If you want to try some new stuff, order samples from member 'Scotto' on the badgerandblade forum. Excellent deal for 6 little pots of various products.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
I have products from each of the "Three T's": Trueffitt & Hill, Trumper, and Taylor of Old Bond St. My favorites are T&H's "Ultimate Comfort," "West Indian Limes" and Taylor "Almond" and "St. James"

If you want to try some new stuff, order samples from member 'Scotto' on the badgerandblade forum. Excellent deal for 6 little pots of various products.

Indian Limes was too much for me; just too much of a faux-lemon scent. UC was pretty damn good thouh.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
First of all - Wow!!

I use Gillette Series Foam, but I pay no more than $2.99 a can and most of the time I buy it on sale for less.

i used to use gillette foamy and barbasol gel. the more expensive brands really are much better.

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
First of all - Wow!!

It's what we call the joys of shopping at convenience stores on Lower Sloane Street and Elizabeth Street
dozingoff.gif
. I'm sure if I went out to Fulham, or even Bayswater I'd not be paying such high prices, but the petrol/tube fare is going to cost be about as much.
Everyday brands are not so bad, unbranded goods are far worse around here. Unless you are willing to travel a few miles, a pint of milk goes for 6 pounds, and a loaf of bread (albeit Poilane) 30 pounds, an average loaf is around 6 pounds. I was shocked when I was staying with relatives in Surrey, that bread around there was 80 pence
On another note, you really should try better shave creams, I really notice the difference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads