• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Film/Cinema Thread

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I love Oldboy, I'm starting to think that Lady Vengeance was a better, more "achieved" film. What did you think of it?

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
On the top of my head, I cannot think of any other prolific and talented director who has made only great films. All of my favorite directors (including Kusturica, Polanski, Scorsese, the Coen brothers, Lynch...) have made some crappy movies. I can only think of Kubrick as the only great prolific filmmaker with a perfect filmography

The answer is Ingmar Bergman.

And to lesser exstend Charlie Chaplin.

P.S. "Redicule" by Lelush is an absolute drek. The movie is flat and so uneven you will wonder what was the point at all. Reminds me of that stupid Coppola flik a lot.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
The answer is Ingmar Bergman.

And to lesser exstend Charlie Chaplin.

P.S. "Redicule" by Lelush is an absolute drek. The movie is flat and so uneven you will wonder what was the point at all. Reminds me of that stupid Coppola flik a lot.

Who is Lelush?
What is "redicule"?

I'm assuming you mean "Ridicule" by Patrice Leconte...

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
As much as I love Oldboy, I'm starting to think that Lady Vengeance was a better, more "achieved" film. What did you think of it?

It is definitely a more mature work, relying on pacing and characterization to advance the plot while Oldboy is more « gimmicky ». I think Oldboy's strength lies in being the quintessential representation of the hyperrealist universe that Park's characters inhabit, possibly the purest tour one can have of that "other" world he has developed in his recent films. By the way I just got a copy of the Tartan 2 disc DVD, can't wait to watch that version (same cut, better quality, interesting extras).

Some recent asian movie viewings (while we're on that topic):
Strawberry shortcakes
After this our exile
Adrenaline drive

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fuuma . . . I cannot remember the name of a fairly recent Japanese film, from about two or three years ago. It dealt with a man whose wife collected couture garments, obsessively, simply to admire their beauty. In the end, her husband dies in a car crash while admiring a detail on one of his wife's garments. Slow, absorbing, sensitive and poignant. Disturbing, as well. Too bad I can't remember the name.
22.gif

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Who is Lelush? What is "redicule"? I'm assuming you mean "Ridicule" by Patrice Leconte...
No I meant "redicule" a small bag popular in France around 17th century and Klod Lelush: famous French director.
bounce2.gif
P.S. I have never seen an Asian movie that I could get into. They all look completely foreign to me in their aesthetics and especially humor. Just as I could never play Asian video game or watch one of those Manga cartoons. Two of my fav. movies are "Angel Heart" Allan Parker and "Pope of Greenwich Village" by someone. Also "Bar Fly" with Fay Danavey and M. Rourke And one more:"Drugstore Cowboy", Matt Dillon, what a movie. Oh yea wonderful B&W a must see Shakespearian "Rumble Fish" Nick Cage, Matt Dillon, M Rurke, and many others.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
Fuuma . . . I cannot remember the name of a fairly recent Japanese film, from about two or three years ago. It dealt with a man whose wife collected couture garments, obsessively, simply to admire their beauty. In the end, her husband dies in a car crash while admiring a detail on one of his wife's garments. Slow, absorbing, sensitive and poignant. Disturbing, as well. Too bad I can't remember the name. http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...20faces/22.gif

Tony Takitani, a Jun Ichikawa movie adaptation of a short story by Haruki Murakami, I liked it a lot too. Seems right your cup of tea, as the central character is a strong (in a sense) obsessive female that brings forth something that was dormant in an emotionally withdrawn man (the title character). By the way what did you think about Laura and other similar movies with a high dose of drama and glamour coupled with some sultry singing? Removing a glove was never this sensual...

Dkzzz: I haven't seen Barfly but really think Rourke is one of the strongest American actors presently working. That's the Buckowski adaptation, right?

You should try watching some of Kurosawa's later works, the humanist themes are very much in tune with European sensibilities, which should be nearer to your concerns. A little bit like Wong-Kar-Wai, those were the people praising him the most anyway (think French intellectuals and films festivals).

An existentialist fable like Woman in the dunes might also be more in line with what you're looking for.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Fuuma. I loved that movie. Stayed with me, for quite some time.

By the way what did you think about Laura and other similar movies with a high dose of drama and glamour coupled with some sultry singing? Removing a glove was never this sensual...
Fuuma, I think you mean GILDA, with Rita Hayworth. Oh, yes . . . once while guesting on the Carol Burnett Show, a clip of Gilda was shown. Burnett asked Hayworth, the following question: 'how'd you keep that dress on?'
Hayworth's reply: 'Two good reasons.'
2143986075.jpg
Jean Louis was a superb costume designer. He dressed Hayworth in Gilda, and in a number of other films.
Rita1.jpg

.bishop.

Reaction score
On the subject of older japanese film, I haven't seen Kobayashi mentioned once. Maybe I missed it? I saw all the other famous directors from the 50's and 60's but not Koybayashi. Harakiri and Kwaidan are easily two of my favorite films from that time period. The "Hoichi the Earless" story in Kwaidan is amazing.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
Thanks, Fuuma. I loved that movie. Stayed with me, for quite some time.

By the way what did you think about Laura and other similar movies with a high dose of drama and glamour coupled with some sultry singing? Removing a glove was never this sensual...
Fuuma, I think you mean GILDA, with Rita Hayworth. Oh, yes . . . once while guesting on the Carol Burnett Show, a clip of Gilda was shown. Burnett asked Hayworth, the following question: 'how'd you keep that dress on?'
Hayworth's reply: 'Two good reasons.'
2143986075.jpg
Jean Louis was a superb costume designer. He dressed Hayworth in Gilda, and in a number of other films.
Rita1.jpg

Damn, as much as I love "Laura" the movie I was referring to was indeed "Gilda" with Hayworth, slip of the keyboard I guess.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You see, Fuuma? You've got to stay on top of things, every single minute.
Mommie Dearest
3647046088.jpg

untitled-1.jpg

MommieDearest2.jpg

BLIT0884.jpg

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Dkzzz: I haven't seen Barfly but really think Rourke is one of the strongest American actors presently working. That's the Buckowski adaptation, right?

You should try watching some of Kurosawa's later works, the humanist themes are very much in tune with European sensibilities, which should be nearer to your concerns. A little bit like Wong-Kar-Wai, those were the people praising him the most anyway (think French intellectuals and films festivals).

An existentialist fable like Woman in the dunes might also be more in line with what you're looking for.

I feel the same about Rourke.
He is so method, I love him. Too bad his mouth made him persona non-grata in Hollywood for over a decade. He actually reminds me of Bukowski himself. Quitting movie carrier in favor of prize-fighting is that a Bukowski plot twist or what?

P.S. "Francis" by Liliana Cavani with Rourke is an unusual movie.

One of my all time fav. athmospheric movies "Light Sleeper" with Will Dafoe & Susan sarandon, as well as "Naked Lunch".

Movie that is better than a book it is based on : "The Unberable Lightness of Being". Haunting and superbly edited.Monumental movie about human life. Title alone deserves some sort of prize.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
P.S. I have never seen an Asian movie that I could get into. They all look completely foreign to me in their aesthetics and especially humor.
Just as I could never play Asian video game or watch one of those Manga cartoons.

What the **** is wrong with you? I mean, ahem, I think Ozu is among the least ethnocentric of the masters, and I second the recommendation of Teshigahara. Also, as Fuuma stated, Kurosawa's later work may be to your liking, though the more I re-watch Kurosawa the more I appreciate his heavily ethnic works and samurai flicks, where the humanist tales seem to be aging poorly and losing their place in the pantheon as more people are discovering the likes of Ozu, Yamanaka and Mizo.

But yeah, a cinephile and gamer who does not appreciate Asian aesthetics blows my mind.
tounge.gif

Originally Posted by .bishop.
On the subject of older japanese film, I haven't seen Kobayashi mentioned once. Maybe I missed it? I saw all the other famous directors from the 50's and 60's but not Koybayashi. Harakiri and Kwaidan are easily two of my favorite films from that time period. The "Hoichi the Earless" story in Kwaidan is amazing.

You haven't seen Kobayashi mentioned because I haven't completed my list yet.
smile.gif
How about The Human Condition trilogy?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I feel the same about Rourke.
He is so method, I love him. Too bad his mouth made him persona non-grata in Hollywood for over a decade. He actually reminds me of Bukowski himself. Quitting movie carrier in favor of prize-fighting is that a Bukowski plot twist or what?

P.S. "Francis" by Liliana Cavani with Rourke is an unusual movie.

One of my all time fav. athmospheric movies "Light Sleeper" with Will Dafoe & Susan sarandon, as well as "Naked Lunch".

Movie that is better than a book it is based on : "The Unberable Lightness of Being". Haunting and superbly edited.Monumental movie about human life. Title alone deserves some sort of prize.

On Rourke: +1, need to watch more of his work. I really enjoyed the "Bob le flambeur" remake (The good thief) thanks to his charisma.

The unbearable lightness of being: You need to read more Kundera, and watch out for translations as his style was notoriously butchered in many versions.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Bad Seed
BadSeed4w.jpg

Hugely entertaining, overwrought, relentless and absorbing. Nancy Kelly is beautiful and chic as Christine Penmark. She carries the gene for 'bad seeds.' Patty McCormack will curdle your brains, as child murderess, Rhoda. Carpy, cunning, convincing and cruel: 'Rhoda, remember that old woman in Germany? The one who fell down the stairs, and died?'
'Yes.'
'Is that what really happened? You slipped against her by mistake. She fell, and that was all?'
'No. That wasn't all.'
'Then what happened?'
'I slipped against her, on purpose.'
Eileen Heckart is brilliant as the alcoholic mother of Rhoda's victim, Claude Daigle. The boy whose penmanship medal, Rhoda coveted.
Trumped up Hollywood ending, diminishes things. Still a great show.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads