• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seiko Upgrade

DrewMill

Reaction score
I think a lot of people would agreed that Seiko watches (specifically 5 Sports and Prospex) are a great value. They punch quite a bit above their weight. I'm curious what everyone thinks is a logical upgrade step from there. Outside of Grand Seiko (or King Seiko), where would you look for a watch that outpaces the Propex line while still maintaining some level of value? Where does the craftsmanship and watchmaking hit that next level? TIA

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These two are several years old, but this may be helpful. The Black Monster is an OK watch. The 7S26 automatic movement is notorious for running fast, and mine does go 3 or 4 minutes fast per week. I always liked the look and feel of the watch, still do.

I bought a used Marinemaster SBBN007 a few years ago. The feel and details of the watch are next-level compared to the Monster. Of course it's spot on accurate because it's a quartz movement. I only wear the Monster because I prefer that custom bracelet.

I don't own any Prospex Seikos. I looked on Amazon and the Prospex which looks like the old Black Monster is $735. I wouldn't trade my Tuna for two of them. You can buy a nice used Tuna for $700 easily.

034.jpg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This question doesn’t make much sense without telling us (1) style of watch (2) budget and most importantly (3) what you value about a watch. “Value” is such an incredibly subjective term and it’s particularly problematic around watches. What makes you say that the Seikos you listed “punch above their weight”? Do you attach value to the movement? manual wind or automatic (or even quartz)? Do you care if it’s in-house vs ETA vs Miyota? Finishing? Whether the design is unique/distinctive?

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of people would agreed that Seiko watches (specifically 5 Sports and Prospex) are a great value. They punch quite a bit above their weight. I'm curious what everyone thinks is a logical upgrade step from there. Outside of Grand Seiko (or King Seiko), where would you look for a watch that outpaces the Propex line while still maintaining some level of value? Where does the craftsmanship and watchmaking hit that next level? TIA
You are leaving things slightly vague, but in my mind Hamilton would be a logical step up.
I've always thought the Khaki Field King is a really nice looking sub-$1K watch that you can find on sale periodically.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like mentioned, you don't have much detail on what you are after... So I will put in my few cents. I pretty much culled my wristwatch collection in favour of my Seiko SARB017 Alpinist. Barely ever wear anything else. I even had Seiko tune it up to tighten up its timing when I had it serviced. Hell, I even made a profit on some of my old watches like the Stowa Antea I offloaded.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really depends on what you like. I have several Seiko Prospex watches as part of a larger collection. I've also enjoyed certain microbrands that make a very nice product for less than what a mainstream brand would sell it for (e.g., Halios, Monta, Christopher Ward, Helson). Certain mainstream brands also have a reputation for offering good value for the money (e.g. Oris, Tudor and Longines). And, you can get significant value for your dollar by buying preowned watches, if you know what you are doing. I picked up the original Omega Planet Ocean this past week for half of what current versions sell for. Start with determining what you like and go from there.

DrewMill

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. I'm really not a watch guy, so I don't know much about specs. I guess I'm looking for something with similar styling, sapphire crystal, automatic movement, but better movement. Are Longines/Tudor the next place to look?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. I'm really not a watch guy, so I don't know much about specs. I guess I'm looking for something with similar styling, sapphire crystal, automatic movement, but better movement. Are Longines/Tudor the next place to look?
In that case I would look at the Tudor Black Bay or Pelagos watches.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads