• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seasonality

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
If more of you wore, in spring and summer:

-linen suits
-cotton suits, especially the classic poplins in stone and light olive
-tropical and fresco in very light gray, tan, or glen plaid with bright blue and pale red overchecks
-band-aid colored shoes
-linen cotton shirts
-linen and linen blend ties
-cotton madras ties

you would look better.

Musella

Reaction score
Nice choice Manton, I agree but I would add also light mohair and cotton/linen too (the color choice is important). Also blue Fresco will look good if the color is not a dark one (Blue carta da zucchero).

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice choice Manton, I agree but I would add also light mohair and cotton/linen too (the color choice is important). Also blue Fresco will look good if the color is not a dark one (Blue carta da zucchero).

+1

A nice a wool/linen blend suit is pretty versatile for the summer (not too informal for the office and not too conservative on social occasions).

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Mohair is nice but it can wear a little hot. Cotton-linen is OK for jackets, not really a fran for suits.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

-linen suits
-tropical and fresco in very light gray, tan, or glen plaid with bright blue and pale red overchecks
-band-aid colored shoes
-linen cotton shirts
-cotton madras ties
you would look better.

only two things I can't get behind.

Musella

Reaction score
Sure, cotton/linen only for a jacket!! :)

Mohair is nice for the middle season spring to summer (at least here in italy, don't know where you live).

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not sure on the Band-Aid shoes. Have a pair nearly that light that have never been on my feet. What do you pair them with?

I also have Madras ties that I never feel like wearing. Something else always seems more appealing. But maybe that's because I go almost exclusively knits.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Also, for Americans, seersucker.

And for everyone else, raw silk/shantung ties. I personally don't like the Rubinacci stripes but I love the solids.

Last edited:

Knowledge is King

Reaction score
Good thread Manton. I think this goes toward a topic that Vox brings up often -- wearing the right clothes at the right time to fit into your environment. After ascertaining the non-seasonal basics, a more developed sense of style includes looking appropriate for the season. There's never anything wrong with wearing a well tailored three season suit, but wearing the right seasonal clothes and accessories is a sign of a more developed wardrobe.

Part of the problem though is that it's not easy for many people to get the non-seasonal part of their wardrobe squared away. It's a dangerous thing for people to start shopping for cotton suits, madras ties and bandaid colored shoes when they may not even have a plain navy suit yet.

Also, since summer is more than half over and Fall isn't too far away, maybe we could also start a thread on appropriate fall combinations?

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

-linen suits
-band-aid colored shoes
-linen cotton shirts
-cotton madras ties
you would look better.
For casual or social occasions, yes; though the band-aid colored shoes wouldn't work for me regardless of the occasion.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Bandaid shoes with everything in summer. I have them on today with a dark blue linen suit.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Agree with everything other than the cotton suits. They look frumpy, and not in the nice linen way.

And I would def add linen odd jackets in a variety of blues to that list.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Drill cotton makes a nice suit and the fabric wears well, the problem is that it's dense and heavy so you lose a lot of the cooling properties. I prefer the very light weight stuff, which can take the heat (as well as anything can).

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Re: Bandaid, the EG color Edwardian Antique is perfecto.

Musella

Reaction score
The quality of the cotton and its manufacture makes it all. The frumpyness is also due to the weight and how it has been worked (the ironing is very important).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics