• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Score! J&M Handmades

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always bid first & ask questions later. In this case I think it was a good thing. Looks like I scored a pair of J&M Handmades. I said, hmmm, J&M? But something stood out about this shoe, especially the sole. Check out the laces:
Img_5943.jpg

Img_5945.jpg=600

Img_5946.jpg=600

Add trees, condition uppers, refinish soles, enjoy.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice! I have a pair of the wingtips. Mine have the same heel, which probably dates from the 50s-70s (can't be more specific). later, they had a different heel style. Mine also came with those laces, but they both broke after not too much use. Enjoy them!

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Teach! In my searches you were heavy on the J&M Handmade threads over on AAAC. I can't wait for them to arrive.

Hopefully they won't be too narrow. I got 'em for 1% the original cost
biggrin.gif

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Thanks Teach! In my searches you were heavy on the J&M Handmade threads over on AAAC. I can't wait for them to arrive.

Hopefully they won't be too narrow. I got 'em for 1% the original cost
biggrin.gif

eek.gif

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, seller said they retailed for $200
plain.gif

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Nice! I have a pair of the wingtips. Mine have the same heel, which probably dates from the 50s-70s (can't be more specific). later, they had a different heel style. Mine also came with those laces, but they both broke after not too much use. Enjoy them!

Would you do me the honour of posting pics of yours, how they look right now? Thanks!!

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do they say Handmade on them? I had a regular pair of JM Aristocrafts with the same sole.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Do they say Handmade on them? I had a regular pair of JM Aristocrafts with the same sole.

Yeah, look close at the sole.

Plus, the info inside is written in pen.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK I'll ask it. What is the point of buying something old and used, something that is probably shaped to the previous owner's foot? It's not like it was worn once or twice in the store...those have been worn more than once.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
OK I'll ask it. What is the point of buying something old and used, something that is probably shaped to the previous owner's foot? It's not like it was worn once or twice in the store...those have been worn more than once.

When they are resoled, the old cork is replaced and the footbed can be very easily remolded.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, I'll answer it. These shoes were not worn as much as you make them out to be. Second, these are extremely rare shoes which haven't been produced in about 8 years, this pair being at least 30 years old, which go highly unnoticed by the general public. Third, while I would love to have found a NOS pair in my size, that is highly unlikely. Fourth, this type of shoe can be recrafted to a "new" status. Fifth, I collect shoes that were made before I was born, when "real shoes" were made with higher quality materials & craftsmanship. Sixth, The price could not be beat. Shall I continue?

I also scored a pair of pre-Prada Church Consuls while I was at it.
smile.gif
Could I have purchased a new pair? Sure, but nothing beats the exhilliration of searching, finding & scoring a pair of great works of art.

To my point, I saw these & purchased them for $9.99.
Seller's pic:
polo2.jpg

This is the same shoe after I installed shoe trees & wore them a bunch of times:
06-11-07_1317.jpg

06-11-07_1315.jpg

......009.jpg

......002.jpg

Not even Edward Green can put a date on these.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmm I didn't realize when you resoled them, they took out the cork, etc. and it no longer has a person's foot shape in it.
Originally Posted by bigbris1
OK, I'll answer it. These shoes were not worn as much as you make them out to be. Second, these are extremely rare shoes which haven't been produced in about 8 years, this pair being at least 30 years old, which go highly unnoticed by the general public. Third, while I would love to have found a NOS pair in my size, that is highly unlikely. Fourth, this type of shoe can be recrafted to a "new" status. Fifth, I collect shoes that were made before I was born, when "real shoes" were made with higher quality materials & craftsmanship. Sixth, The price could not be beat. Shall I continue? I also scored a pair of pre-Prada Church Consuls while I was at it.
smile.gif
Could I have purchased a new pair? Sure, but nothing beats the exhilliration of searching, finding & scoring a pair of great works of art. To my point, I saw these & purchased them for $9.99. Seller's pic:
polo2.jpg
This is the same shoe after I installed shoe trees & wore them a bunch of times:
06-11-07_1317.jpg
06-11-07_1315.jpg
......009.jpg
......002.jpg
Not even Edward Green can put a date on these.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads