• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Score! J&M Handmades

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2007
Messages
7,343
Reaction score
12
I always bid first & ask questions later. In this case I think it was a good thing. Looks like I scored a pair of J&M Handmades. I said, hmmm, J&M? But something stood out about this shoe, especially the sole. Check out the laces:




Add trees, condition uppers, refinish soles, enjoy.
 

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 2, 2005
Messages
12,940
Reaction score
467
Nice! I have a pair of the wingtips. Mine have the same heel, which probably dates from the 50s-70s (can't be more specific). later, they had a different heel style. Mine also came with those laces, but they both broke after not too much use. Enjoy them!
 

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2007
Messages
7,343
Reaction score
12
Thanks Teach! In my searches you were heavy on the J&M Handmade threads over on AAAC. I can't wait for them to arrive.

Hopefully they won't be too narrow. I got 'em for 1% the original cost
 

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 2, 2005
Messages
12,940
Reaction score
467
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Thanks Teach! In my searches you were heavy on the J&M Handmade threads over on AAAC. I can't wait for them to arrive.

Hopefully they won't be too narrow. I got 'em for 1% the original cost


 

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2007
Messages
7,343
Reaction score
12
Yeah, seller said they retailed for $200
 

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2007
Messages
7,343
Reaction score
12
Originally Posted by Teacher
Nice! I have a pair of the wingtips. Mine have the same heel, which probably dates from the 50s-70s (can't be more specific). later, they had a different heel style. Mine also came with those laces, but they both broke after not too much use. Enjoy them!

Would you do me the honour of posting pics of yours, how they look right now? Thanks!!
 

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2006
Messages
7,219
Reaction score
35
Do they say Handmade on them? I had a regular pair of JM Aristocrafts with the same sole.
 

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2007
Messages
7,343
Reaction score
12
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Do they say Handmade on them? I had a regular pair of JM Aristocrafts with the same sole.

Yeah, look close at the sole.

Plus, the info inside is written in pen.
 

haganah

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
6,351
Reaction score
30
OK I'll ask it. What is the point of buying something old and used, something that is probably shaped to the previous owner's foot? It's not like it was worn once or twice in the store...those have been worn more than once.
 

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 2, 2005
Messages
12,940
Reaction score
467
Originally Posted by haganah
OK I'll ask it. What is the point of buying something old and used, something that is probably shaped to the previous owner's foot? It's not like it was worn once or twice in the store...those have been worn more than once.

When they are resoled, the old cork is replaced and the footbed can be very easily remolded.
 

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2007
Messages
7,343
Reaction score
12
OK, I'll answer it. These shoes were not worn as much as you make them out to be. Second, these are extremely rare shoes which haven't been produced in about 8 years, this pair being at least 30 years old, which go highly unnoticed by the general public. Third, while I would love to have found a NOS pair in my size, that is highly unlikely. Fourth, this type of shoe can be recrafted to a "new" status. Fifth, I collect shoes that were made before I was born, when "real shoes" were made with higher quality materials & craftsmanship. Sixth, The price could not be beat. Shall I continue?

I also scored a pair of pre-Prada Church Consuls while I was at it.
Could I have purchased a new pair? Sure, but nothing beats the exhilliration of searching, finding & scoring a pair of great works of art.

To my point, I saw these & purchased them for $9.99.
Seller's pic:


This is the same shoe after I installed shoe trees & wore them a bunch of times:






Not even Edward Green can put a date on these.
 

haganah

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
6,351
Reaction score
30
hmm I didn't realize when you resoled them, they took out the cork, etc. and it no longer has a person's foot shape in it.
Originally Posted by bigbris1
OK, I'll answer it. These shoes were not worn as much as you make them out to be. Second, these are extremely rare shoes which haven't been produced in about 8 years, this pair being at least 30 years old, which go highly unnoticed by the general public. Third, while I would love to have found a NOS pair in my size, that is highly unlikely. Fourth, this type of shoe can be recrafted to a "new" status. Fifth, I collect shoes that were made before I was born, when "real shoes" were made with higher quality materials & craftsmanship. Sixth, The price could not be beat. Shall I continue? I also scored a pair of pre-Prada Church Consuls while I was at it.
Could I have purchased a new pair? Sure, but nothing beats the exhilliration of searching, finding & scoring a pair of great works of art. To my point, I saw these & purchased them for $9.99. Seller's pic:
This is the same shoe after I installed shoe trees & wore them a bunch of times:
Not even Edward Green can put a date on these.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

  • JW Anderson x Uniqlo

  • Nigo x Virgil Abloh

  • Converse x Midnight Studios

  • Rick Owens x Champion

  • Barbour x Engineered Garments

  • Adidas x Bed JW Ford

  • Jordan Brand x Dior

  • Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

  • Lego x Levi's


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
446,328
Messages
9,651,566
Members
201,686
Latest member
ultraketoburnx
Top