• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Diptyque L'Autre. This has always been one of my favorites, but I always crave it more in spring. It's a spicy, minty scent that has a bit of that cuminy BO vibe.

Supergenius

Reaction score
I have a travel size if Diptyque Eau Duelle. I wear it when I am travelling (obviously). Heading to NYC for the weekend so that will be my Scent of the Weekend (SOTW).

Last edited:

TheShoeMaker

Reaction score
SOTD aftermath of yesterdays rose oud By Kilian. This thing is lethal, even a single spray is overwhelming for most occasions. Anyway, im looking to update my collection and would happily receive some tips about fresh (not citrus, not too sweet or fruity) masculine parfum. I need a new daily driver which isnt too expensive, around $100-130. I just buy too much scents that smell interesting or cool but hard to wear comfortably.
I have reached a point where I want to slow down on rotation and simply just use one or two and pick others for the special occasion. :)

Last edited:

TheShoeMaker

Reaction score

rainy day out so went with Dior Homme parfum. also rewore a shirt from a few days ago that had this sprayed on it so figured might as well refresh it instead of having the old scent fight a new one with my nose stuck in the middle.

This is why im leaning to ditch my usual rotations!

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This past week, I wore Portrait of a Lady and finally got a compliment on it. Amazing and vindicating since I sold my old bottle when I was still married to satisfy my then-wife, who absolutely detested it. I also wore Amouage Epic Man and got several compliments on it. That's two more compliments then I got in two years.

This evening I am wearing Diptyque Benjoin Bohéme, a lovely comforting scent with a simplicity that is not unlike the style of Tam Dao in its simple elegance and comfort. I'm a big fan of Diptyque and its aesthetic, so YMMV.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've told this story a million times, but I once had a colleague from work come running after me to find out what perfume I was wearing. It was POAL. (She couldn't believe it was really called that. She is in the English Department, and so of course that doesn't sound like a perfume name to her.) She thought it was the most amazing thing she'd ever smelled.

My gf of girlfriend, on the other hand, hates it. (On the whole, though, Malle is her favorite house.)

I'm wearing Secrets du Paradis Rouge by Jul et Mad today. I really love this one. Bitter almond and orange blossom with a sweet gourmandy vibe.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wore Kerosine R'Oud Elements which I've had the sample of for ages and finally got round to trying. Reminds me of YSL M7. I feel like I mentioned that recently.

I've reworn and finished my sample of Montale Greyland. I keep thinking I'm wearing Gucci PH. There's this dry peppery incense cedarwood accord with a bit of wax. Too simple for my taste but quite nice. If Gucci PH wasn't so expensive I'd wear that instead.

Today I'm not overthinking it. 4711 sprayed liberally.

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing Bluff by Lubin today. I think Lubin is one of my favorite scentmakers, I haven't tried everything of course but I have yet to smell anything that I dislike of theirs. Definitely get the lime and bergamot on top but the clary sage comes through really nicely with the iris as well. A really light spring scent that goes well with the particularly nice weather here in the bay.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is your opinions on shelf life of a fragrance if stored properly?

I've finished my bottle of La Nuit, and a friend offered his 100mL bottle to me for $60 CAD. It's about 80% full. A new 100mL would be $120 CAD.

He purchased it roughly 10 months ago, but he's a collector, so I know he's stored it properly.

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a bottle of Volutes by Diptyque kept in its box in a dresser drawer of mine which is dark and fairly cool that I bought close to 4 years ago and it has held up perfectly fine. In an old French perfumerie book I have it essentially states good quality colognes and perfumes will last invariably, as long as they do not come into contact with high heat or persistent sunlight. I am sure this rule isn't the end-all be-all but it has worked for me so far!

Also I am wearing CDG Gosha Rubchinskiy.

Last edited:

papillo

Reaction score
What is your opinions on shelf life of a fragrance if stored properly?

I've finished my bottle of La Nuit, and a friend offered his 100mL bottle to me for $60 CAD. It's about 80% full. A new 100mL would be $120 CAD.

He purchased it roughly 10 months ago, but he's a collector, so I know he's stored it properly.

10 months is nothing. It should be more tahn fine. There are lots of fragrances that are decades old that are just fine today.

Today I am wearing Acqua Vitae Forte by Maison Francis Kurkdijian

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have many bottles I bought myself that are over 10 years old, and some vintage ones that are much older. The only one that is a little off is a bottle of Chanel Pour Monsieur, but it's still quite wearable. Just a little sour in the top notes.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've had most of my collection for at least 3-5 years, some closer to 8-10 years and can't say any of them smell off in any way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads