• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Threw on some Platinum Egoiste from a sample last evening. That was my first full wear, have only really smelled it on a strip before. It's a somewhat generic sharp-clean-cool-fresh type deal, I understand the 'metallic' comments some people make. But it smells good and is IMO an exemplar of that genre, sort of an earlier execution of the same general approach as in Bleu de Chanel - a "move over and let me show you how it's done" take on a mass-market trend.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been doing a kind of weird thing since I've been working from home. Since the gym isnt really an option right now, I've been running and since I dont really go in public I put on fragrances while I run so I get to enjoy them still.

The thing is, I've been putting on a lot! It's been a really interesting experience wearing my scents and sampling others in high doses and has really let me learn about the notes. I would never wear anything close to this amount in a real world setting, but for running its been great.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, that is certainly a benefit of working from home. Experimentation with amounts and stuff you wouldn't wear in public is fun. I, at 35 have just started working out. I bought a rowing machine. Other than feeling like Kevin Spacey when I use it it is interesting to get wafts of whatever I am wearing.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Wafts guys did a video recently on only keeping 10 fragrances for life. It is hard to do oddly. I was thinking about it and I think at this point in my journey I would say it might look like this:

1. Guerlain Mitsuoko
2. Guerlain Mouchior de Monsieur
3. Caron Le Troisième Homme
4. Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Pandora
5. Bogue Maai
6. Jean Desprez Bal à Versailles
7. La Curie Incendo
8. Libertine Sex & Jasmine
9. Meleg Birch Tar & Russian Leather
10. L'Artisan Parfumeur Dzing!

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing Brooks Brothers New York Gentlemen today, which I've had in the back of my cabinet for ~10 years after receiving it as a gift and only occasionally wear. This time around I find it more enjoyable than I remember, it isn't anything earthshattering but is a nicely done citrus-to-woods salt-and-pepper-haired masculine. Down the middle, pleasant, could do much much much worse, etc.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Wafts guys did a video recently on only keeping 10 fragrances for life. It is hard to do oddly. I was thinking about it and I think at this point in my journey I would say it might look like this:

1. Guerlain Mitsuoko
5. Bogue Maai
7. La Curie Incendo

I have a too-big collection and very much enjoy having the variety, but I think I could get on pretty happily with vintage Kouros, Mitsouko, an aromatic fougere (either Rive Gauche PH or Azzaro PH), and a leather chypre (either Aramis or Yatagan).

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could get down to three: Creed GIT for spring/summer daily, TFPB Italian Cypress (RIP :() for fall/winter daily, and Chanel Egoiste for formal/romantic.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a too-big collection and very much enjoy having the variety, but I think I could get on pretty happily with vintage Kouros, Mitsouko, an aromatic fougere (either Rive Gauche PH or Azzaro PH), and a leather chypre (either Aramis or Yatagan).
I'd love to hear your thoughts on Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Pandora. It is an incredible leather Chypre. It is all natural so unfortunately it sits close and has poor longevity, but I still love it so much.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd love to hear your thoughts on Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Pandora. It is an incredible leather Chypre. It is all natural so unfortunately it sits close and has poor longevity, but I still love it so much.

Haven't smelled it, may have to track down a sample someday. I don't tend to look that closely at most niche stuff, too expensive relative to historical greats even in vintage form. There's lots of good interesting stuff coming from niche houses these days but it just tends to be expensive and the signal-to-noise isn't that high. Different strokes for different folks! (Analogy: it is similarly easier to find a good book from the historical backlog of consensus 'classics' than it is to keep on top of current releases and sift through them yourself.)

Habit Rouge EdC, 1990s vintage today. Smells rounder, plusher, and smoother than current EdT but performance is worse by a good margin.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I got a sample of Phoenix Artisan's scent for Big Shave S'West 2020 looking to see if I would like it as a shave soap and it turns out I actually like the fragrance itself. But it starts off a little aqueous whenever I smell it. Which I suppose, given what it smells like to me (western, leathery, gunpowder and campfirey) is probably OK.

Anyway, long way of saying here is what he describes the scent as, is there anything you guys recommend that is similar?

A Dark, Leathery, Musky, Smokey Mesquite, Western Bouquet wrapped up like an Eastern Attar! A very manly, rugged, yet sophisticated fragrance.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Haven't smelled it, may have to track down a sample someday. I don't tend to look that closely at most niche stuff, too expensive relative to historical greats even in vintage form. There's lots of good interesting stuff coming from niche houses these days but it just tends to be expensive and the signal-to-noise isn't that high. Different strokes for different folks! (Analogy: it is similarly easier to find a good book from the historical backlog of consensus 'classics' than it is to keep on top of current releases and sift through them yourself.)

Habit Rouge EdC, 1990s vintage today. Smells rounder, plusher, and smoother than current EdT but performance is worse by a good margin.
Totally get that. It is overwhelming.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So I got a sample of Phoenix Artisan's scent for Big Shave S'West 2020 looking to see if I would like it as a shave soap and it turns out I actually like the fragrance itself. But it starts off a little aqueous whenever I smell it. Which I suppose, given what it smells like to me (western, leathery, gunpowder and campfirey) is probably OK.

Anyway, long way of saying here is what he describes the scent as, is there anything you guys recommend that is similar?

A Dark, Leathery, Musky, Smokey Mesquite, Western Bouquet wrapped up like an Eastern Attar! A very manly, rugged, yet sophisticated fragrance.
First things that come to mind are La Curie Incendo, and Meleg Birch Tar & Russian Leather

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First things that come to mind are La Curie Incendo, and Meleg Birch Tar & Russian Leather
Thanks, Russian Leather is way out of my price range and Meleg's website is under repair!

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. Guerlain Mitsuoko
5. Bogue Maai
7. La Curie Incendo
I have this under the radar scent I kind of like.
It's called Dior Sauvage...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads