• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
351F2A85-E0EE-4CA0-B758-F92A5166CEA3.jpeg
0E76ED5A-F13F-4749-BEF0-380F8CAC0603.jpeg
28893753-2EE6-4687-8EF4-E89C19F3C9F1.jpeg

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage Aramis today, was amused as I sometimes am by the makeup-compact floral aldehyde topnotes -- hard to square with the "uber manly" reputation!

I'm not sure I get on with Chypre-Siam, will have to give it another go sometime this week. Something in there had a vomity character to me the couple times I've tried my sample, maybe the indolic jasmine or civet or something?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Went to a flea market this weekend and found these little goodies. The first is Avon Charisma. Indolic old lady, powder, musk.
F08CE086-8749-431F-83FA-DF6343C52C81.jpeg

Vintage Opium!!! The highlight of the bunch. Kind of has a Mitsuoko vibe with some civet in there. Definitely a powerhouse.
42BBF65F-BF80-449A-98D0-8E5238AE673C.jpeg

This is the most bizarre. Never heard of it and these NOTHING on the internet about it. It was sealed in original plastic. Smells like iso butyl quinolone mixed with a urinal cake. Kind of in a good way.
9700B858-27EA-4174-AAAE-5F1D6503BAE9.jpeg
B6DA9888-F4F1-47F1-BD7B-5CA77F0422DA.jpeg

Coty L’Effleur. Smells like flowers.
E58525AF-845D-471A-B764-2730DB2DC27E.jpeg
32A3E98B-B37F-4F7A-A1DE-D8D384433105.jpeg

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Vintage Aramis today, was amused as I sometimes am by the makeup-compact floral aldehyde topnotes -- hard to square with the "uber manly" reputation!

I'm not sure I get on with Chypre-Siam, will have to give it another go sometime this week. Something in there had a vomity character to me the couple times I've tried my sample, maybe the indolic jasmine or civet or something?
Siam, does have three different kind of synthetic musk in it so I could be that. I find that this fragrance in the dry down is very similar to original Coty Chypre.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Siam, does have three different kind of synthetic musk in it so I could be that. I find that this fragrance in the dry down is very similar to original Coty Chypre.

I wore it again today and am finding it a lot more pleasant than I did the couple times I tried it a few months ago. The vomit character isn't there, go figure.

I do wonder whether the nitromusks are safe; we all know IFRA 'safety' pronouncements are often overbroad but it seems like nitromusks fell out of favor in mainstream perfumery a long time before the current 'some small portion of people have minor skin rashes from oakmoss + sunlight and therefore we must ban it' nonsense.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know about nitromusks. I am not sure if "better" things came out, or they just fell out of favor due to stylistic changes in the market.

Sisyphus

Reaction score
Chypre Siam is fantastic I think! I bought a 60ml bottle a year ago or so, and use it quite frequently. Some people also see resemblances to vintage Mitsouko, and I can kind of see that. Both fragrances I like to wear in autumn like weather.

My SOTD is Fougere Royale. It's my first " real" office day in three months (yikes), and this one seemed appropriate
fouge-royale-bottle_800x.jpg

shoewarma

Reaction score
I find Fougere Royale to be a very strange fragrance. I don't really consider it a fougere either. It's very citric and sharp, but there's a really unnerving plastic-like like note that hinders my enjoyment of it. I don't understand why it sells out so quickly from discount shops.

I felt like wearing Montale Black Aoud today. One spray under the chest and one on one wrist, dabbing both wrists together. It is a really good scent when tamed and worn with a light hand. A beautiful dry, jammy rose that's almost edible. It's kind of like rose jam without sugar.

Sisyphus

Reaction score
I have to get a bottle of Royale. I think that is what the Rogue Fougere L'Aube is modeled after.

From what I understood, Fougere L'Aube was modeled after the "original" Fougere Royale, which is quite different from the modern version above (which I still love as a fantastic citrus/fresh office scent with retro feel). From my memory Fougere L'Aube smelled much more oldskool due to real oakmoss in there. A really nice fragrance, and I wouldn't say no to a bottle either.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the modern Houbigant Fougere Royale, especially the extrait version. Bought a bottle at NM a few years ago and the SA comp'd me a 100ml of the EDP.

I saw recently Sultan Pasha posted on his IG feed photos of a bottle of the real deal antique version. Must have paid a princely sum for that. Not a small bottle either.

shoewarma

Reaction score
Azzaro Pour Homme today. I wish the longevity was better, but it just plain smells great.
I recently got Aramis Tuscany, and it is a little bit similar. I think it smells better than APH because it lacks the muskiness that I dislike so much in APH. I need to wear it more to understand the performance, but when I wore it last week, it didn't last or project very well at all. Maybe it was just way too hot that day.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently got Aramis Tuscany, and it is a little bit similar. I think it smells better than APH because it lacks the muskiness that I dislike so much in APH. I need to wear it more to understand the performance, but when I wore it last week, it didn't last or project very well at all. Maybe it was just way too hot that day.

Yep, Tuscany is a close cousin to Azzaro PH for sure. A little more of an herbal/outdoorsy vibe to my nose. Like pretty much everything by Aramis, good stuff, though I do find their current production a little weak-kneed.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I got sample sets from Hendley and January Scent Project. I was really expecting to be into Hendley's stuff, but honestly it was all kind of forgettable. His expensive "Bourbon" which is actually aged in bourbon barrels and is, I think, all natural and takes forever to make smelled like egg nog to me. Blond, was interesting and Untitled was a vetiver bomb if that your jam. Ronsenthal was pretty linear rose as well. As with most all natural fragrances I found the longevity lacking, 2-3 hours tops. Pass on all of them.

January Scent Project which I was ho-hum about reading the copy, but interested after his American Perfumer Podcast appearances was a knock out of the park. I love all of them except for one, Selperniku which has this butter/lactonic note which nauseates me. All of the others just to lump them together have a very different twist to them and I think it is because he (John) tinctures a lot of less common ingredients such as Marigold for one, sea shells another. Eiderantler is a great fougere even if a bit heavy on the lavender, Vaperocindro is a standout being fresh and green, Burvuvu opens as geranium and changes so much through wearing evolving to a mushroomy cedar. Smolderose is a nice dirty rose and Serin is very weird, probably because of that marigold note, which brings back memories to when I used to work at a nursery and sold them to many people (because the deer don't eat them because of the smell). Making things even better they have huge sillage and longevity and are affordable. He does 3 30ml bottles for $165. I might get 6 tbh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads