• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any of you guys excited about Caligna, the new L'Artisan? Sounds like something a few of you would be interested in. Based on the notes, I'm not sure it would be up my alley, but I'll give it a try anyway.

Sounds interesting. The clary sage note is intriguing (isn't clary sage known for being reminiscent of sweat?); I wonder how the "fig and jasmine marmalade accord" will play out—I hope not too sweet. I'll try to head over to Aedes sometime this week if I can to give it a spin...

Indeed it does sound interesting but didn't L'Artisan just release a perfume in December?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A lot of good information here, but a little overwhelming to try and digest it all.

I'm new to the fragrance game and want to purchase 2-3 to get me started. I have a horrible sense of smell, but that doesn't mean I don't want to smell good for the ladies. Can anyone make a recommendation to get me rolling? Would like to spend around $200 all-in, which I know is somewhat limiting but I don't mind purchasing smaller bottles. If it helps, I have a corporate job, casually smoke (would be great to mask that) and live in New York.

Cheers guys

Honestly, I think the best recommendation is to get a bunch of samples. Fragrance preference is highly personal, depending on all sorts of hard-to-articulate factors like skin chemistry and what your father's study smelled like when you were a kid. If you look on Surrender to Chance & the Perfumed Court, you can find sampler packs of fragrances that will allow you to experiment within a certain range (i.e. "Masculine Fragrances") and get a sense of what you like, which will help you to search more specifically & find what you really like.

Having said that, here's a list of inexpensive starter fragrances off the top of my head, none of which seems too outlandish to me, and all of which are generally highly regarded. You should be able to get a bottle of each for less than $50. Many are available at substantial discount online.

Parfums de Nicolai New York
Christian Dior Eau Sauvage
Caron The Third Man
Chanel Pour Monsieur
Hermes Equipage
Guerlain Habit Rouge

That's a good starter, but it's so hard to recommend fragrances for someone. You just have to shop around and become a sample bandit like Rambo, then you'll never have to actually purchase a bottle.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pre-shower: APOM
SOTD: Jour d'Hermes

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

That's a good starter, but it's so hard to recommend fragrances for someone. You just have to shop around and become a sample bandit like Rambo, then you'll never have to actually purchase a bottle.

What is this 'purchasing' you speak of???

Last edited:

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cristiano Fissore Cashmere for Men today. Haven't smelled this in a while, and I'm enjoying getting reacquainted with it. Soft, sophisticated woods.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You got a bottle of that yet, L'Inc?
My wife put a bunch of it on last night because she had a cold and couldn't smell anything and she smelled FANTASTIC.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nope, I still haven't bought a bottle. Someone from the forum sent me a generous sample, so I'm still using that.

Is it something you'd consider wearing for yourself, or is it too far on the feminine side?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, I'd wear it. But I'd rather save it for my wife to associate with her than for myself.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does your wife like it?

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cuir Mauresque today. Not my favourite Lutens, but probably the one i wear the most.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads