1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Somthing a bit different today: Les Nereides Imperial Oppoponax. I bought a decant of this at a fund-raiser last weekend. It's a warm, resinous scent, with a bit of vanilla and a slight powdery quality. Longevity is supposed to be pretty good, so it will be interesting to see how this one develps durin gthe day.

2. b1os

b1os Senior member

SotD Bel Ami. Try.
    SotE Navegar. Try.

3. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I am wearing Fils de Dieu du Riz et des Agrumes today. It's a sweet, summery scent that's in the ballpark of Virgin Island Water, except that it's much more complex and less "gimmicky." The most prominent notes are prominent coconut and rice, but there's a really nice lime note at the top too. As it dries down it becomes sweeter, with amber and vanilla.

4. James1051

James1051 Senior member

I'm with you, on Fils de Dieu! Terffic summer scent.

Today at work, it was Profumum Acqua Viva, the longest lasting lemon centric scent I have found, which is complemented by a bitter, tangy, woody Cyress note and, 8 hours in or so, what I identify as an oakmoss note--the latter is not listed. In short, a longggg, green lemon scent. Good stuff.

Tonight, Guerlain Vetiver Eau Glacée-- a minty, soapy flanker of the classic original. this and Sel de Vetiver are my top summer Vets.

5. California Dreamer

Anyone know anything about the new Guerlain coming next month - L'Homme Ideal?

6. L'Incandescent

I think it's supposed to be for sale outside of France in July.

Did you see the review on sorceryofscent?

7. L'Incandescent

SOTE is Jardin après la Mousson, one of my least favorite scents that I own a whole bottle of. It's an overripe melon bilgy aquatic.

8. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Really?? It's my favorite of the Jardin series, but I'm a big fan of cardamon. The lactones used really give this a focused concept of India in an almond milk chai way.

Last night, at 21:00 (for you international folks), I sprayed onto each wrist Diaghilev and I think I'm just now approaching the mid-notes.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  9. L'Incandescent

Yeah, I just can't enjoy this at all. The calone smell (which apparently is not really calone) is just overpowering to my nose.

Pre-shower: APOM. Big, heady orange blossom. If I were a big fan of orange blossom, I'm sure I'd love this. But it's not one of my favorite notes.
    SOTD: Chypre Palatin. Soft-focus, powdery floral chypre. Sometimes I absolutely love it, but sometimes I find it a bit wan.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  10. L'Incandescent

PSA: Surrender to Chance has a 17.76% off sale for July 4. (That means you get 17.76% off what your total would normally be if there were not a sale going on. I know there is a sale going on, but for the purposes of calculating your discount, just disregard that.)

11. b1os

b1os Senior member

^In other words, no other discount codes can be applied. The code is INDEPENDENCE .

SotD: Hiris

12. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

^^^ nice, I LOVE that blue bottle, it's a shame they repackaged it. Another example of an accord I usually don't care for, Iris. And yet, suddenly I love Lutens Iris Silver Mist. Well it's a toss up between that and the Hiris. I like the Hiris for the blue bottle (don't laugh) and the Lutens only comes in those annoying bell jars...

any thoughts (anyone?) on the two scents and a preference?

Re: MPG, I've got RdV and it's meh (was a freebie), Racine, which is actually a much brighter citrus vetiver and I much prefer, and then the other two somewhat common discussion ones are Ambre Precieux which I found smelled too much like L'Artisan's, a sort of plasticy vanilla, and Santal Noble, which is the one I want to comment on. I've tried the modern version (flat bottle), and it's good, decent, I get what I think is the Australian sandalwood, so a sort of dry creamy sawdusty type wood very much like Tam Dao. Now it's decent, but personally I dislike TD, so it's a no go. I have some of the VINTAGE, and let me just say I'm usually not one of those 'vintage is better' automatic sayers, but wow is there ever a difference between the original version and the new one. The original is thick, warm, nutty and creamy. If feels like an almond oil. The scent is warm and rich, nutty like I said, and also has this subtle gourmand vibe (people say coffee or chocolate). I find it warm rich and wonderful. Actually a little like L'Instant de Guerlain. The new one is much fresher, and I find it (like Tam Dao) almost shrill and think. It's still a decent scent, but really a whole different creation. And the vintage is so hard to find now. I would really love a bottle or decent decant of it. I've got a few ml left and treasuring it.

1 person likes this.
  13. California Dreamer

JHAG Calamity J today. I cracked open a FB that I've had all year; I was waiting for the cooler weather to come along.

Not impressed. After a couple of hours I can barely smell a trace on my wrist. It's much more Doris Day than Robin Weigert.

14. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I always thought santal noble had a real funk to it, fecal even, but I used up my decant long ago so I can't revisit it now.

15. L'Incandescent

Feminite du Bois (Shiseido). A really big, medicinal plummy scent with lots of cinnamon.

16. b1os

b1os Senior member

TPC also has a 4th of July sale. And as always, they undercut STC's discount by a small amount. 15%, code: FIREWORKS2014 (no other discount codes can be applied)

17. Xaviair

Xaviair Member

SotD: Verde Bosco di Firenze

18. L'Incandescent

Lys Fume. This is a nice, well-rounded floral with lily in the lead role. There's also a healthy dose of ylang, which I hadn't picked out the first few times I wore this. That's one of my favorite floral notes, and it really makes a valuable contribution to this scent.

19. California Dreamer

Another newbie from the sales that are going on everywhere around here. Lagerfeld Classic. The juice suggests “orange” and that’s what gets delivered in the opening, with a powdery note. That’s quickly subsided into a full-on tobacco scent.

20. L'Incandescent

Does it remind you at all of Fumerie Turque? Kafkaesque made the comparison in his review of Fumerie Turque (although he was referring to the older version called Lagerfeld Cologne).