1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

SOTD - Roja Dove Neroli Extrait -- really like this neroli...much more so than say TF Neroli Portofino....the Roja is clean and fresh, floral but not overwhelming or feminine...and has pretty decent longevity and sillage.

SOTE - Roja Dove Creation-E -- I really enjoy this one too...it is blended so well...I guess the best way to describe it as being completely 'sublime'. It is boozy and smoky and sweet...cognac, tobacco, and vanilla.

2. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today was a beautiful day in San Francisco, so I wore my decant of Ocean Rain - it's been a long time (over a year) since I put it on, and my appreciation for this masculine floral has become deeper over this time. This fragrance was bound to never be a commercial success, but I appreciate its audacity to make men smell like they are wearing a plumeria lei necklace.

1 person likes this.
  3. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I wore Ormonde Jayne Ta'if for the last night of the opera season. Man, I really love this one! I don't like the top, which is too peppery for my taste, but after it gets into the drydown a bit it's a bright, sweet saffron and rose with an ambery base. This is definitely in my top ten favorite fragrances.

4. L'Incandescent

Villoresi Musk. This is just an amazing dusty rose.

5. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: YSL Jazz in the tall clear zig-zag bottle - as far as fougeres go, this is one of my favorites.

6. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

Why aren't my posts showing up?

I tried Tom Ford Black Orchid and liked it. Not sure I'd swap it out for BdP, but they might coexist.

7. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

SOTD - By Killian Prelude to Love - a very powdery / citrusy parfum....very nice...decent longevity...reminds me of Creed Millesime Imperial...I think I prefer the Killian take on it though...before the dry down there is this great fragrant freshness from the Neroli that is so great...

8. kulata

kulata Senior member

9. LeeroyDaBoy

LeeroyDaBoy Senior member

Roja Dove Enigma Pour Homme 2day

10. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Vintage Givenchy Gentleman today. A lady friend described this to me as "essence of man", so I had to buy some. It is really a classy scent; perhaps a bit strong on first spray, but with a really nice mix of leather and patchouli developing.

11. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

SOTD - Roja Dove Crystal Amber Aoud Parfum - amazing. absolutely amazing.

12. L'Incandescent

Lyric Man. A ridiculously good bright, spicy rose with a remarkable lime note at the top.

13. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Lyric Man is my favourite Amouage, although I just got my hands on a sample of Interlude, so that may be up for review.

Today is HdP Ambre 114. I'm starting to enjoy the amber scents at this time of year, perhaps more than gourmands, and this one has a little bit of pepper cutting the amber that works pretty well.

14. b1os

b1os Senior member

I recall that once upon a time you weren't a big fan of it.

BdP, today.

15. James1051

James1051 Senior member

Sounds awesome. Have a decant that I have never sprayed! That will change.

Tonight, for me, is AdP Colonia Assoluta, which I love, being a cologne with a few extra layers still blending into a very harmonious whole.
    I have to try Essenza. Anyone care to compare/contrast the two for me?

cheers guys

16. L'Incandescent

I bought another decant because I had a hunch my judgment would change. I have no idea how it works, but I typically trust those hunches.

1 person likes this.
  17. kulata

kulata Senior member

SOTD Clive Christian V for men

18. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Yesterday - MMM Untitled (original one) - Do you guys ever have a scent that despite majorly disliking a certain note or even category, there's just this one that you technically should revile, and yet you really like it? Well MMM Untitled is like that for me. I really dislike sharp green scents. I really dislike most florals. And I generally don't like galbanum. So the combo is a major no-no. Carnal Flower, Grey Flannel, Chanel no.19, any sort of indolic jasmines, etc... Well there's something very sharp and green, with a floral undertone and a hint of smoke, and yet, for some reason I find this really crisp and refreshing and clinical, all the reasons why I hate those others, but for some reason I like this one. It's a bit addictive! I guess if you're somewhere between liking Sycomore for it's sharp incency green woods, and Carnal or no.19 for their green rubbery florals, then give this one a shot. The packaging is really neat too (bottle and box and pouch). TRY

Yesterevening - MPG Route de Vetiver (vintage) - There's something rather thick and syrupy to me about MPG. I've always maintained that they feel rather 'dense', sort of Lutens like. La Porte had a style and it's not lost. This bottle is fortunately the vintage one so 90ml with the diamond cross-hatching in the glass. The bottles look cool but of course my lid broke into pieces and the build quality is total crap. Now the scent. Well it's a little green, a hint of smoke, but basically a really thick dense vetiver scent, maybe even some dull citrus peel in the opening. I generally like my vetivers as cool summer refreshers, but with this one I actually prefer it for fall. In a way it's a reference vetiver, but somehow to me it's a little too dated and I think a lot more great vetivers have come out since then. If you love vetiver, then give it a try, if you have 2-3 vetivers and feel you've satisfied that style, then pass.

19. kulata

kulata Senior member

Amouage Opus VII today

20. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I wanted to like the MPG range so badly, especially the Santal Noble and Route de Vetiver, but there is a quality to them that makes me wince - you say they feel "dense", and I understand exactly what you mean, but to me it is like the line emits a rather loud humming olfactory noise that, rather grating on the ears is grating on the nose. Anyhoo . . .

Yesterday: Artemisia Ondine - made by an Oakland, CA perfumer and has this great narcissus and petrol-like smell to it.

Today: Italian Cypress - I really like this fragrance in its simple quality and nostalgic sense (Original Polo) but I would never pay the retail price for a bottle. Fragrantica implies that it is similar to Halston Z-14, which my Dad had back in the 1980s, so I need to revisit that at some time soon and if I like it I will get it for 10% the price of the Tom Ford.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014