• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Returning a bottle of Bois du Portugal today - just cant stomach $285 for 75ml! (small timer) I really like it, but I'll just keep looking around for something similar . . .

Mr Melanzane

Reaction score
You would be missing a lot if you just listed ten.
wink.gif
No doubt, my friend, no doubt. Expand the list as necessary.
smile.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

As we (in the civilized world) are entering the cool of the fall and winter months, would you care to offer up something like 'the ten best winter fragrances', in case there's something I'm missing. You never know.

I could easily list 10 from the herd and feel like I'm missing a few.

Today, I wore Chergui. Now Ambre Sultan. Delicious stuff, both of them. Also @Mr Aubergine.

True, and true.

Returning a bottle of Bois du Portugal today - just cant stomach $285 for 75ml! (small timer) I really like it, but I'll just keep looking around for something similar . . .

Oy geez that's ridiculous! I liked it when I tried it except it made me queasy after a few hours.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Saying goodbye to the final few mls of Chamade parfum, one of my favorites for cool spring and autumn weather. Not TOO sad to see it go; as overall I like the lighter concentrations of it (and have a remaining EdT bottle in the closet).

I'm with T above; $285 for 75mls of Creed is beyond ridiculous. I'd recommend that the poster try PdN New York... not the same, but in the same family, perhaps even better, and well less than half the price (unless Patricia decided to up her prices by 80%, haha)

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wish I had access to Parfums de Nicolai - I've never smelled any of her perfumes.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

(...)
I'm with T above; $285 for 75mls of Creed is beyond ridiculous. I'd recommend that the poster try PdN New York... not the same, but in the same family, perhaps even better, and well less than half the price (unless Patricia decided to up her prices by 80%, haha)

Good call. It also reminded me of old Chanel for Men.

I wish I had access to Parfums de Nicolai - I've never smelled any of her perfumes.

New York was really nice, Baladin was mneh (think Aramis + vetiver), and Cologne Sologne didn't stick around long enough for a proper introduction.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New York is still probably my all time favorite. I like it any time, anywhere.

I posted earlier that I wore Shalimar parfum today. Holy cow, I hardly ever wear good extrait like this but I can certainly see the attraction. I'm about 14 hours in and it's still rich and stong, like a spiced creamsicle, but it was never overpowering. It just revved along all day at the exact right volume.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I posted earlier that I wore Shalimar parfum today. Holy cow, I hardly ever wear good extrait like this but I can certainly see the attraction. I'm about 14 hours in and it's still rich and stong, like a spiced creamsicle, but it was never overpowering. It just revved along all day at the exact right volume.

Great post. This, to me, is the magic of a good, classic Guerlain.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dzing! today. I got a bunch of samples of this yesterday when I bought a bottle of Al Oudh. I've been nursing my decant of Dzing! for a while at home, so I'm happy to have some more now. I really, really like this stuff.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today: Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Great post. This, to me, is the magic of a good, classic Guerlain.

Yeah, I was tempted to sell that Shalimar on ebay after seeing what it might be worth, but now I'm not so sure. I think I'd wear it all winter long. Also waffling on the Mitsouko edp. It's also very nice, but I'm not sure if I should try and find some vintage parfum instead.

Dzing! today. I got a bunch of samples of this yesterday when I bought a bottle of Al Oudh. I've been nursing my decant of Dzing! for a while at home, so I'm happy to have some more now. I really, really like this stuff.

I love Dzing! - is it discontinued? I'd heard it might be and my own decant is pretty much dusted.

Mr Melanzane

Reaction score
Hermes - Terre

johnvw

Reaction score
Please excuse a noob question from a lurker on this thread for a while. Why are colognes such as Old Spice, English Leather, Pierre Cardin, and some others apparently considered so far below the radar that they never receive a mention by a poster? Not expensive enough for "typical" SF members? I'm not acquainted with the fragrances that receive rave reviews here, but it is hard for me to believe that all of them are so far superior in composition to some less expensive scents that only they deserve a mention. What's the deal?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads