Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. STATcurse

STATcurse Active Member

L'Artisan - Tea for Two

2. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Shalimar parfum today, trying to figure out which of these Guerlains I want to keep. This is really lovely. Alsom I forgot how close it is to Jicky. This is richer, more vanilla, less bright, but still they share a big chunk of the same stuff.

Shalimar is also at the root of the family tree for all those modern amber scents, and viewed through that prism is still smells pretty modern.

3. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I was just at a shop where they had six bottles of that. (It's been discontinued, so the owner stocked up while she could.)

I had a frustrating day checking out fragrance shops. First I went to Verso, which has the best selection in Antwerp. The lady behind the counter acted like the fragrance nazi. She asked me what notes I liked and I said rose. She said "No no, that is too feminine, you can't like that." I tried to explain that this wasn't a hypothetical situation; I actually do like rose. "No, when rose is in a fragrance, that makes it sweet. You don't like sweet." At that point I decided that she did not want my Euros, so I left. I did get to smell Mona di Orio Oud, which was fantastic.

Then I went to a place called In Fine, where they sell their own line of scents. They seemed disappointed to have to deal with a customer, so I disburdened them fairly quickly. There was nothing there that was interesting at all.

Finally, I went to Maison de Parfum. That turned out much better. The lady who ran the place was French; for whatever reason, I tend to get along well with them. (I even get along well with lasbar.) I bought a bottle of Al Oudh, and the lady gave me tons of samples.

4. Mr Melanzane

Mr Melanzane Senior member

CdG- Original

5. tps16

tps16 Senior member

I've been wearing Antaeus for the past few days. I forgot just how good this is for cooler weather. Made a switch to Egoiste for today. Back to Antaeus tomorrow.
    Anyone have opinions on Egoiste? In theory, it should be right up my alley, but I've always remained indifferent to it. I don't dislike it in any way though.

6. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

^^ I'm one of the only people I know who really dislikes it. To me the sandalwood is overpowering and headache inducing. (At least I think it's the sandalwood that I dislike. I do enjoy other sandalwood scents, though, like Bois des Iles and Santal Blush.)

7. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today it's cold and over-cast: Vintage Balenciaga Pour Homme.

8. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

what, lasbar's French? :eek:

It took years for me to like Egoiste, and then one day it clicked. I love it, but it's not an every-day type for me. When I'm in the mood, it really works for me.

Three words: Camphoraceous Apple Pie.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

9. Mr Melanzane

As we (in the civilized world) are entering the cool of the fall and winter months, would you care to offer up something like 'the ten best winter fragrances', in case there's something I'm missing. You never know.

10. b1os

b1os Senior member

You would be missing a lot if you just listed ten. ;)

11. b1os

b1os Senior member

Today, I wore Chergui. Now Ambre Sultan. Delicious stuff, both of them. Also @Mr Aubergine.

12. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Returning a bottle of Bois du Portugal today - just cant stomach $285 for 75ml! (small timer) I really like it, but I'll just keep looking around for something similar . . .

13. Mr Melanzane

No doubt, my friend, no doubt. Expand the list as necessary. [​IMG]

14. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I could easily list 10 from the herd and feel like I'm missing a few.

True, and true.

Oy geez that's ridiculous! I liked it when I tried it except it made me queasy after a few hours.

15. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Saying goodbye to the final few mls of Chamade parfum, one of my favorites for cool spring and autumn weather. Not TOO sad to see it go; as overall I like the lighter concentrations of it (and have a remaining EdT bottle in the closet).

I'm with T above; $285 for 75mls of Creed is beyond ridiculous. I'd recommend that the poster try PdN New York... not the same, but in the same family, perhaps even better, and well less than half the price (unless Patricia decided to up her prices by 80%, haha)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012