1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

I wish I had access to Parfums de Nicolai - I've never smelled any of her perfumes.

2. b1os

b1os Distinguished Member

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

3. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

Thanks, homeboy! :cheers:

Surrender To Chance has pretty good deals on it so I'll just get it through them.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

4. Thomas

Thomas Stylish Dinosaur

Good call. It also reminded me of old Chanel for Men.

New York was really nice, Baladin was mneh (think Aramis + vetiver), and Cologne Sologne didn't stick around long enough for a proper introduction.

5. Baron

Baron Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

New York is still probably my all time favorite. I like it any time, anywhere.

I posted earlier that I wore Shalimar parfum today. Holy cow, I hardly ever wear good extrait like this but I can certainly see the attraction. I'm about 14 hours in and it's still rich and stong, like a spiced creamsicle, but it was never overpowering. It just revved along all day at the exact right volume.

6. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Great post. This, to me, is the magic of a good, classic Guerlain.

7. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Stylish Dinosaur

Dzing! today. I got a bunch of samples of this yesterday when I bought a bottle of Al Oudh. I've been nursing my decant of Dzing! for a while at home, so I'm happy to have some more now. I really, really like this stuff.

8. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

Today: Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree.

9. Baron

Baron Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, I was tempted to sell that Shalimar on ebay after seeing what it might be worth, but now I'm not so sure. I think I'd wear it all winter long. Also waffling on the Mitsouko edp. It's also very nice, but I'm not sure if I should try and find some vintage parfum instead.

I love Dzing! - is it discontinued? I'd heard it might be and my own decant is pretty much dusted.

10. Mr Melanzane

Mr Melanzane Senior Member

Hermes - Terre

11. johnvw

johnvw Distinguished Member

Please excuse a noob question from a lurker on this thread for a while. Why are colognes such as Old Spice, English Leather, Pierre Cardin, and some others apparently considered so far below the radar that they never receive a mention by a poster? Not expensive enough for "typical" SF members? I'm not acquainted with the fragrances that receive rave reviews here, but it is hard for me to believe that all of them are so far superior in composition to some less expensive scents that only they deserve a mention. What's the deal?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

12. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

To me, Old Spice is very good for its price. That being said, there certainly IS a superiority in the components of the perfumes (cologne is a type of perfume) that are mentioned here when compared to the drugstore varieties. Also there's a "been there, done that" mentality with me when considering new perfumes versus the ones you mentioned. For example, my respect for Old Spice is there, but it will always be associated with the older generations in my family and the only scent I want to stimulate memories of my past is Chanel Pour Monsieur because I have fond memories of wearing it in college, but I don't want to necessarily smell like my uncle with the Old Spice.

Also, I am exploring new scents that I previously did not appreciate, and those new scents are so truly sophisticated that once you appreciate them it then takes many, many wearings to pick out the multitude of nuances. For example, I never liked Mitsouko but now do, but those who have loved it for years are still surprised by its complexity.

I think that in this thread you will find people who are quite immune to the hype that surrounds the perfume industry and would love to experience less expensive perfumes as long as they delivered.

13. Thomas

Thomas Stylish Dinosaur

^^ good question.

In some cases they're considered 'dated' (Pierre Cardin, which I wore a bit in high school) or the formula has been cheapened terribly (Brut, which I also wore in high school) or they're considered 'old man' (Old Spice, which I wore briefly in middle school - my dad's bottle).

Some scents get 'played out' like Cool Water - everyone's smelled it for so long, no one wants to wear it now. Other scents have a rougher connotation - for instance, a prominent rosemary note brings up a 70's hairy-chested vibe (Paco Rabanne, for instance). Some people can wear them no problem, but others get self-conscious and put the bottle away.

Another big reason is that once you start sampling and trying new things, you don't really revisit the older scents much. I recently bought a bottle of Polo Green (middle school) and even now it brings up memories of center-parted feathered haircuts and green chinos (School uniform). Or they bring up unpleasant memories (like Rach and Habit Rouge, or me and Giorgio for Men).

One more comment re: Old Spice. When Carter released La Baiser du Dragon it was fairly polarizing - some loved it, others hated it. Someone knowledgeable commented that it was identical to Old Spice, circa 1971 - and so what was old is new again.

And, yes, in some cases they are just flat-out better.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

14. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

Oh, and if you read this thread enough you will see that I will wear Tabac aftershave on occasion and Thomas will note that he put on Bay Rum. :)

And just a thought, if you are wearing Royal Copenhagen, or something else, then say so and tell us why you like it! This is a very pragmatic bunch in here!

15. Thomas

Thomas Stylish Dinosaur

No kidding. Cheap thrills abound. And sometimes, on the right person, they smell much better than their price would suggest. Agua Lavanda is a good example of this.