• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had a great week and a half for fragrances! I recently got new supplies of two of my favorites: Bois des Iles and Santal Blush. And just last night I ordered a bottle of MPG George Sand, which is not easy to find.

Bois des Iles today.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've had a great week and a half for fragrances! I recently got new supplies of two of my favorites: Bois des Iles and Santal Blush. And just last night I ordered a bottle of MPG George Sand, which is not easy to find.
Bois des Iles today.

I just looked this (MPG George Sand) up and find it fascinating. Is this a blind buy?

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I just looked this (MPG George Sand) up and find it fascinating. Is this a blind buy?

Rambo sent me a 1 ml sample of this, completely out of the blue. It was love at first smell. As a first approximation of what it's like, I'd say that it's in the ballpark of YSL Opium--the feminine one, not the masculine. But it's rounder and a bit lower-pitched that that. Also, there's a fair bit of patchouli, which is what really takes this scent over the top, IMO. (I like patchouli, but I'm not a huge fan of the note. But it works absolutely perfectly in this scent.) After one day of wearing it as my SOTD, I knew I had to get a bottle. It was a limited release, though, so it's not easy to find a bottle. As soon as I found one, I jumped on it.

I should add that there's another fragrance called George Sand by Histoire de Parfums, but that one is completely different from the MPG.

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Thanks, homie.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I combined my homemade/bespoke scent with some Oud 27 today with the intention of making the dry down more deep and rich. Right now, I like the cedar-floral component of the one I made with Yosh but the tea rose is just too evident at the end. In my limited experience and poor language in applying metaphors to smell, tea rose is a fresher scent and is lasting a lot longer than I expected in the perfume so that's why I need a darker balance.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you going to continue fine-tuning your bespoke scent with the perfumer, or is what you have going to be the final product?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm going to take it slow and do some layering and then see if there's any combination that brings more depth to the scent. To me there's something missing - a warmth. I'm ordering 4 ml of ambergris right now . . .

tps16

Reaction score
Yesterday, No. 19
Today, Egoiste.
HORNS, it's great learning about your bespoke perfume experience. Can't wait to read more.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Forgive me if it's one of you guys who have bid on this, but here's a 2.5 oz bottle of Chanel Sycomore that is ending in 6 hours and has one bid for $90 . . .

Chanel Sycomore

. . . maybe a 5 ml decant for me if you win it? A little bone thrown to the finder, and all that? Maybe? :embar:

Last edited:

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Forgive me if it's one of you guys who have bid on this, but here's a 2.5 oz bottle of Chanel Sycomore that is ending in 6 hours and has one bid for $90 . . .
Chanel Sycomore
. . . maybe a 5 ml decant for me if you win it? A little bone thrown to the finder, and all that? Maybe? :embar:

I'd avoid. Chanels are notoriously counterfeited on ebay. I mean, ridiculously, preposterously, counterfeited.

...but if you're interested, I could probably shake the e-tree and see what falls out.

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'd avoid. Chanels are notoriously counterfeited on ebay. I mean, ridiculously, preposterously, counterfeited.
...but if you're interested, I could probably shake the e-tree and see what falls out.

Sorry for my naive post then! Seriously, I didn't know that the Chanel scents are such a hot item that they would foster such a counterfeit industry. Well, on second thought, maybe I should have known. I thought that, since it was just one person selling one bottle, that it would be legit. I don't know.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are established e-bay sellers with good reputations that I'd buy Chanel from, but this person has practically no track record.

HORNS, have you considered just getting a small sample from Luckyscent, Perfumed Court, Aedes, or Raffy?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

There are established e-bay sellers with good reputations that I'd buy Chanel from, but this person has practically no track record.
HORNS, have you considered just getting a small sample from Luckyscent, Perfumed Court, Aedes, or Raffy?

Yeah, Perfume Court actually has a good deal on 5, 8, and 15 ml decants of Sycomore.

Thanks for your input, guys!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Sorry for my naive post then! Seriously, I didn't know that the Chanel scents are such a hot item that they would foster such a counterfeit industry. Well, on second thought, maybe I should have known. I thought that, since it was just one person selling one bottle, that it would be legit. I don't know.

That used to be a good gamble: partial bottles used to be a reasonably safe bet, probably a couple of years ago. Nowadays I'm not so trusting on that front. But, yeah: Creed and Chanel are the two worst buys off ebay, and nearly anything vintage. There are a few well-known scammers who buy empty vintage bottles (yes, on ebay) and then refill them with whatever, and then use the disclaimer that they have No Idea how this should smell, it's been Sealed for Eleventy-Thousand years, and the transaction is Entirely At Buyer's Risk.

I love those people.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Santal Blush today.

EDIT: Got a compliment from an attractive lady on the Santal Blush.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads