Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. .Kurtz.

.Kurtz. Senior member

Santa Maria Novella Sandalo.

2. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

Bottega Veneta; it is just a comfortable scent.

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

The lady's version or is there a new one for men?

4. james_timothy

unisex, thank you very much.

There's only one, and its marketed mostly to the girls.

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

:foo: You know what I meant

6. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I've tried this one a few times and while there's nothing really wrong about it IMO, I sort of found it a bit boring overall, like it just didn't really go in any one specific direction.
    haaa, I remember that place. I took a pilgrimage out to the shop at one point and tried my best to ask about the most overlooked bottles, use a bit of french, and say hello to his wife, etc... what an interesting adventure that was.
    favorite? do you find this one changes or develops at all with time? I get a haiku impression with this one - short, simple, pretty, etc
    I might have a brand new tester bottle of this for a good price if you (or anyone else) is interested... PM me for details and we'll work something out.
    hey Horns, if you get a sample and like it, I'm looking to pass along my 75ml bottle (bought direct from Chanel, 70-72ml left) since after only a few wearings I just upgraded to the 200ml one :embar:
    if anyone else is interested PM me too.

today, L'Artisan Tea For Two... can't get enough of this stuff, it's sort of dry and tanniny but also warm and steamy, complex mix of tea, spices, and more.
    after using my 50ml a few times I've decided I need more so will probably get the 100ml now too (ie, once again, I'm selling my 50ml bottle with 40ml left so PM me if anyone's interested).

7. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Hey MC, I've been meaning to ask you, since you're in a great position to know: what's the correct pronunciation of Byredo?

I'd have to say that La Tulipe is my favorite Byredo. There are other fragrances I like from the line quite a lot, but that's the one I find myself reaching for the most. You're right, haiku is a very good description. It's a wonderful scent, though, so I don't mind at all that it doesn't really develop. It really is much more a spring and summer scent, I think, but I like it so much that I go ahead and wear it in the winter anyway.

Speaking of feminine scents, I just realized that none of the fragrances in my top five is a masculine. Four are feminines and one is a unisex. (I think Santal Blush is unisex, at least.) Hmm.

It's Divine L'Inspiratrice for me today.

8. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Chanel Allure....I am really starting to hate this though.

Lost my Terre D'hermes to my brother...and I am missing that fragrance a lot now lol

9. james_timothy

Hey, you should try it... give it 3 or 5 wears (the first wear will not impress), you'll see what I like in it: cozy.

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I'm not opposed to it. Its just that these more feminine scents tend to not work out for me.

Mostly though, I just don't want to smell like an unwashed cunt.

11. james_timothy

BV doesn't even know that word, let alone what it smells like.

12. b1os

b1os Senior member

Malle - Musc Ravageur

13. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

As far as I know (and have used it) - it's pronounced BUY-REE-DOH. I believe it's short for By Redolence (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/redolent), meaning by smell, or aroma, etc.
    based on your penchant for interesting florals, I would have also recomended trying Bal D'Afrique. Blanche is maybe a little boring but has it's place. and then Seven Veils might be hit/miss with you at a guess since it's an earthy spicey gritty vanilla... Of course M/Mink is worth a sniff, just because you're down with SecretionsM - as usual it's different on the skin though.
    with La Tulip, open question here, is there some depth I'm missing? I've only gotten the impression that it's sort of what you see if what you get, with not much development or too many layers.
    as for the scent, I believe it's freesia in there, and my visual/feeling perception is a 'cool, dewey morning with damp earth, a fresh tulip has sprouted in a laneway garden and there's a cool stone wall behind the flower bed. there's a light mist in the air so some dew is forming on the petals'... or something like that. any visuals, textures, shapes, etc come to mind for you with Tulipe?

14. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

To me, La Tulipe is a classic "sent bon." It doesn't seem like a perfumer's perfume at all--one that tells a story over the course of the drydown.I think you're exactly right, it is definitely a case of what you see is what you get. Normally I'm not a big fan of scents like that, but for whatever reason I really enjoy it. To my nose, freesia is definitely the most prominent note. The weird thing is, even though I recognize the note as freesia, it somehow creates the impression of a tulip. I think it's because the scent is also quite green. I experience the texture as very soft, like cashmere. (It actually reminds me a little of Dans tes Bras in that respect. Not the smell, but just the impression of softness.) Also, I should say that La Tulipe lasts forever on my skin. (That's actually true of almost all of the Byredos I've tried.)
    Bal d'Afrique is a fragrance I like quite a bit once it gets into the heart. I'm not a big fan of the opening, which for some reason reminds me of orange juice. (Rose Noir does too. Weird.) I've tried, but I just can't shake that impression. I really do need to try M/Mink!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

15. tps16

tps16 Senior member

Today, Chanel Pour Monsieur