• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I seriously considered Pampelune this morning but didn't feel like walking across the bedroom. It was a lazy monday morning.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Got in my LeLabo decants and partials today. Tried out the Vanille 44? Really disappointing and dammit if it doesn't smell exactly like something else that I just tried. The vanilla isn't really a typical "vanilla" smell. It sort of smells like a vanilla bean rubbed on my skin. Very similar smell to raw cocoa butter if you've ever smelled that. This might be very nice on a woman.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Creed Windsor - the first hour isn't great until the rose dies down (and not to mention a Band Aid scent), and then it becomes a very pleasant bubble gum (like the powdered sugar when you open a Bazooka Joe) meets vintage British barbershop cologne.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Phew, lots of catching up to do...

Originally Posted by kulata
Wore Suratti Tom Oudh yesterday evening and wearing
There was just a thread on BN's about that, yours?
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
Dans Tes Bras today. I can't say enough good things about this one.
I generally always have good things to say about what I find dans tes bras ;-)
Originally Posted by kevinsp8
Old Spice. Underrated.
Huh, Shulton's?
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
At work there's a fragrance swap...
I saw DG the One, Pour Homme, Light Blue;
Burberry London, Touch, Weekend, the Beat
Issey Miyake (the white one).\t\t.Polo DB, Blue
Givenchy Play, Gentleman. \t\t.Bulgari Aqua Pour Homme
Lacoste (original)

Not sure if it's too late... I've got The One (swap from a nice SF member), it's a very simple pleasant warm wood amber thing. I actually find myself wearing it quite often and enjoy it. D&G PH, I quite like this one. It's a good mix of notes and suits any age and occasion. Polo blue's a pretty solid classic. Bvlgari Aqua's also good.
Originally Posted by Thomas
Today, Tommy Bahama from the swap box. I was hoping for more tropical/coconut/vanilla, less lavender/calone. quite mneh.
Which one, the original? Or set sail south seas or something? I've been meaning to retest the original one (brown bottle) since it's an economy decent woody frag if I recall correctly. Will it stand up to Gucci PH, Tam Dao, Palisander, Santal Noble, etc...? who knows!
Also yesterday: L'Occitane Vetyver - tried on a lunchtime, really heavy woody-spicy on application, drydown was fantastic...the next morning.
I think I remember there being something about nutmeg in there?
Originally Posted by nahneun
What do people think about Hermes' Pamplemousse Rose? I'm thinking of buying a bottle at the duty free store either when I return to Incheon from Kansai Airport or when I go back to JFK from Incheon.
It's a good frag, a little light (EdC). I bought Guerlain's Pamplelune instead, though it's not realy the same at all. Has that same sharp grapefruit note but then sort of turns creamy (vanilla). Check out the Eau D'Orange vert too while you're there, at least that one comes in a concentree version.
Originally Posted by mkarim
Thinking of getting a bottle of Terre d' Hermes. Heard good things about it, though it seems like an evening scent. .
Good solid frag. I can't complain about this one at all. Excellent recent release. As always, it's a good idea to try before you buy. It's not cheap, but a very fair price for what it is. I'd say don't bother with the parfum version, the EdT is good enough.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kevinsp8
What IS cheap and which I've been splashing on a lot of lately is Florida Water. It lasts longer that you'd think for a citrusy scent, and you can literally buy litres of the stuff for the cost of most other scents. Great for the heat.

I've got some of that as well. It was $7 for 7 ounces and it smells pretty good indeed. Lots of cloves, but very light and transparent. It's still used by superstitious cultures to ward off bad spirits.

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Phew, lots of catching up to do… There was just a thread on BN’s about that, yours?
Not mine but I read the thread and responded. Split a 100ml bottle with a basenote member coz I love Tom Ford Oud Wood but I am not ready to shell out Tom Ford-like price and since this is a perfume oil then its more bang for my buck. The fragrance itself is excellent, 98% identical to Oud Wood and definitely longer lasting. Wearing L'instant de Guerlain EDT today

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
(...)

Which one, the original? Or set sail south seas or something? I've been meaning to retest the original one (brown bottle) since it's an economy decent woody frag if I recall correctly. Will it stand up to Gucci PH, Tam Dao, Palisander, Santal Noble, etc...? who knows!

I think I remember there being something about nutmeg in there?

(...)

I guess it was the original Tommy Bahama. I found it very raspy and unpleasant after a short while, so I threw it back in the box. Maybe it's a chemstry thing for me.

And, yes! Nutmeg in the L'Occitane Vetyver. It's a far, far cry from the sprightly Guerlain version, but still a good scent, price notwithstanding.

today...before heading out to run I put on a little Kiehl's Original Musk. It was a gentle powder/flowery musk. I showered when I got back, and forgot to reapply - so I've got the mild aftereffects of the Kiehl's and that's it. Currently going through withdrawal symptoms and about to google Kiehl's to find the nearest store and wait at the door until they open.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
today...before heading out to run I put on a little Kiehl's Original Musk. It was a gentle powder/flowery musk. I showered when I got back, and forgot to reapply - so I've got the mild aftereffects of the Kiehl's and that's it. Currently going through withdrawal symptoms and about to google Kiehl's to find the nearest store and wait at the door until they open.
That good huh?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
That good huh?

No, not really. It's good, but this is more a matter of withdrawal symptoms (OMG, no cologne!) played up for lols.

It could be anything really but this is what came to mind, and it's locally available and reasonably-priced - AND I know what it smells like. The Marshall's blind-buy-bingo just doesn't seem to pan out for me, hardly at all.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No, not really. It's good, but this is more a matter of withdrawal symptoms (OMG, no cologne!) played up for lols. It could be anything really but this is what came to mind, and it's locally available and reasonably-priced - AND I know what it smells like. The Marshall's blind-buy-bingo just doesn't seem to pan out for me, hardly at all.
I actually pictured you like that old Marshalls commercial, standing at the Kiehls door with your hands cupped over your face saying "open, open, open, open..." Marshalls sucks

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I actually pictured you like that old Marshalls commercial, standing at the Kiehls door with your hands cupped over your face saying "open, open, open, open..."

Marshalls sucks

Nah - too lazy to wake up early just to satisfy my rampant consumerism. Okay, I would for perfume, but that's it.

Agree: Marshall's sucks. True story: I was there a few months back and found a bottle of Tuscany I wanted ($7 - ZOMG) but when I tried it I thought...mneh. Just like Azzaro. Leave it. So I did. A week later I was overcome with Tuscany love and went back for the bottle - not there. bastards!
So I bought a bottle from Amazon the next week and fell in love, for a week. Now the bottle sits in a dark drawer at home (no box), unworn since that week. Not sure how that's Marshalls' fault, but they still suck.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Wore Pamplemousse Rose today. Nice fragrance, but as everyone as said, it is very fleeting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads