• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I slept in (yay!!!) and left the house in a hurry, such a hurry that I neglected to pore and ponder of the cardboard box that currently stores my vast hoard (not) of fragrances. So I arrived at the office today wearing Lavender deodorant and the remnants of a citrus-scented shave cream.

But, all is not lost! I have in my desk drawer a small vial of New West. No I do not as a matter of course keep cologne in my desk at work, that is maybe a tad womanly, but this was for a road trip months ago and the sample vial got lost in the car until I discovered it a month or so ago. This was at the office, and tidyness has not been a major priority for me. So, it's more a matter of slovenliness than womanliness.

All that to defend a small vial in my desk drawer.
rolleyes.gif

Reaction score
Jean Paul Gaultier Fleur Du Male.

Today will probaly be Narciso Rodriguez for Him.

On another note, I just recently smelled Tom Ford Black Orchid, and im very tempted to purchase a bottle. This stuff smells amazing, I have a small amount on my hand and I can't stop smelling it. I wish Tom Ford for Men was smelled more like this.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueberryMansions
On another note, I just recently smelled Tom Ford Black Orchid, and im very tempted to purchase a bottle. This stuff smells amazing, I have a small amount on my hand and I can't stop smelling it. I wish Tom Ford for Men was smelled more like this.
I had the same reaction/wish. Black Orchid was love at first sniff and then the TF Men was just... blagh. But, I've heard that the TF Men Extreme is actually the version to try; apparently it is much more in line with what everybody was hoping the TF Men regular was like. Of course, it's going to run $125 for 50mls, so I'm not sure if I want to try it THAT bad. When the pricing gets into Malle territory, it has to be stellar to get me to switch teams. Anyway, I'm sporting some Diptyque Philosykos today. Edit: Going out tonight and revisited an old friend, Guerlain's Coriolan. I really love this one, especially when the evening's start to get a little cooler.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some Creed Royal English Leather today... not the best leather scent I've ever smelled, but a definite classic. The addition of tangerine in the top notes helps to keep things from feeling too dark, musky, and dry.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Jil Sander Sport

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Raining like a bastard here today so I decided to try out some new samples I've been collecting. Went with Jo Malone White Jasmine. Not bad. Some of her other men's scents are WAY too feminine without all that mixing ****. One scent is enough to deal with.

hayzum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
I have a larger sample of Creed Vetiver and its one of the few of theirs I just don't like.
Though Vetiver wasn't appealing when I first received it, it has grown on me since.

Originally Posted by designprofessor
Anyone else here associate their cologne with the place they bought it? So today when I put on the Hermes, I'm transported back to summertime in Scottsdale, Arizona.- Bulgari: Chicago
Besides the place of purchase, for some odd reason I tend to recollect the women that have been around a particular cologne.

Yesterday- Amouage Dia. The graded change from incense to ylang-ylang to leather was perfect for a chilly evening.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
New West, once again, after a Bay Rum weekend. Sure wish it would start acting like Autumn. Went to a soccer game yesterday (Dynamo hosted the Galaxy, hoped Beckham would turn up...no luck) and got clouds and wind, followed by searing heat and bright sunshine, then rain. But I doubt it ever dropped below 85.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Jil Sander Sport

SoCal, I'm curious to hear your opinion on the Sander fragrances. Obviously, we both share an affinity for the brand, but I find the fragrances really boring and too conventional. I wanted something like Lang's quirkiness (ala Cuiron or EdC), but get typical fresh/detergenty blagh...

The only exception being Background and "feeling man," both of which are discontinued (and even they aren't great). I keep waiting for Jil to come out with something really spectacular... but I've been waiting now for more than a decade.

As for me, today it's Terre d'Hermes. Not my favorite, but it's the only one in my arsenal that ever gets compliments...
frown.gif

Also, Thomas, have you tried Trumper's Bay Rum (or is that the one you are using)? It's pretty interesting and VERY spicy. I'm not using much of mine, I'd be happy to send you some (just email me).

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
The thing is I am really not that much of a fragrance person. I used to have a ton of fragrances in college because I was living in Santa Barbara and it was the only way I could hold myself over between monthly shopping trips to LA.

I will probably buy the new Jil Sander fragrance Raf has done that should be coming out very soon.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A mixed day today so I went with another sample: Tom Ford Black Orchid Voleur de Fleur. I don't think this one will qualify as unisex like the original did. Very feminine on me. If I had to compare it to something I'd go with L'Artisan's Voleur de Roses but with a more floral component.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D.R. Harris Arlington, it's citrus-lime, not at all heavy and not at all uni-sex ("not that there is anything wrong with that!").....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads