1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Last night to celebrate the first cold day of fall. "Faggot" by CB I Hate Perfume. Woody and smokey.

Wow... and I thought Ineke "Derring Do" and Lez Nez "Let me Play the Lion" were the oddest fragrance names. [​IMG]

Anyway, it's cooler today, so Prada Amber. Technically, it's marketed for women, but the deep patchouli and amber still work well for men (it's sweet, like CoSTUME NATIONAL Scent Intense, but also a little warmer and deeper).

2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Has anyone tried out the new Tom Ford for men yet?

3. rach2jlc

Has anyone tried out the new Tom Ford for men yet?

I did... and I was quite underwhelmed. I'm anxious to try the "Tom Ford for men Extreme," as I've heard that it is the standout from my fragrance-friends who have tried it and had the same reaction to the regular as I did. I certainly hope it is better; the regular for men was very flat, didn't really go anywhere. I'll admit my hopes were high, given how much I enjoyed Black Orchid, but TF for Men really wasn't anything special.

To give a comparison, it reminded me somewhat of Escada Pour Homme, if you've ever tried that one. Both have that soft, spicy, sort of understated manliness about them. Only, for $85 and for something from TF, I expected a little more romance. Had I it to do over again, I just would have saved the cash and bought the $15 bottle of Escada from TJ Maxx/Marshall's.

As for me, today I'm wearing Keiko Mecheri Musc. It's a VERY soft, very dry musk... the musky polar opposite of Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan.

4. Minkous

Minkous Senior member

today i used a test bottle of Issey Miyake le pour home? (sorry if i butchered that) fairly nice scent none the less

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I did... and I was quite underwhelmed. I'm anxious to try the "Tom Ford for men Extreme," as I've heard that it is the standout from my fragrance-friends who have tried it and had the same reaction to the regular as I did. I certainly hope it is better; the regular for men was very flat, didn't really go anywhere. I'll admit my hopes were high, given how much I enjoyed Black Orchid, but TF for Men really wasn't anything special. To give a comparison, it reminded me somewhat of Escada Pour Homme, if you've ever tried that one. Both have that soft, spicy, sort of understated manliness about them. Only, for $85 and for something from TF, I expected a little more romance. Had I it to do over again, I just would have saved the cash and bought the $15 bottle of Escada from TJ Maxx/Marshall's. As for me, today I'm wearing Keiko Mecheri Musc. It's a VERY soft, very dry musk... the musky polar opposite of Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan.
    I've been getting mixed reviews from my fragrance snobs as well. I've got about 10 samples here at home to try out but I've got such a backlog that it'll be weeks before I get to it. I've yet to delve into Keiko Mecheri. What do you recommend in her line?

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Wow... and I thought Ineke "Derring Do" and Lez Nez "Let me Play the Lion" were the oddest fragrance names. [​IMG]

Anyway, it's cooler today, so Prada Amber. Technically, it's marketed for women, but the deep patchouli and amber still work well for men (it's sweet, like CoSTUME NATIONAL Scent Intense, but also a little warmer and deeper).

I always thought The Third Man was a distinctly odd name, almost a non sequitur.

7. Golf_Nerd

Golf_Nerd Senior member

Has anyone tried out the new Bond No. 9 (New York) 'Chez Bond' yet?

8. Omega Man

Omega Man Senior member

Today I am wearing FM French Lover. Just one of those days that I don't want to wear anything fruity.

As for Chez Bond from Bond No.9, I think it is a classic scent. The notes are very very similar to GIT from Creed IMHO. It is a anytime anywhere scent.

9. rach2jlc

I always thought The Third Man was a distinctly odd name, almost a non sequitur.

IIRC, I believe that 3eme Homme was the third men's release from Caron, after PuH and Yatagan... though I could be mistaken. If the name isn't related to the number of men's fragrances from Caron, I agree that it really doesn't make much sense.

Also, I'm wearing Lutens Miel de Bois today. Woods and rotten honey... gotta love it.

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Going with a classic scent - Trumper's Bay Rum. Bay leaf, rum, and cloves in abundance. Love it!

11. rach2jlc

Diptyque Philosykos today... sort of a wet, woody fig. Quite pleasant for a cool, clear fall day.

Was thinking of going with the decant of Curzon I got from Thomas... but didn't have the nerve. Wow, what a scent that one is... an olfactory smack on the back of the head. [​IMG]

12. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

It was rather cool yesterday, a good morning, and like a tourist I thought that today would be cool as well. I threw on a jacket and Ungaro III this morning thinking I would be appropriate for the weather. Nope. 75 and sticky-humid out there. If they fixed the A/C in my office I would be fine, but even that comes down to a coin flip at the moment.

Ungaro III is a dark scent, redolent of damp earth and roses and probably best worn in the dead of winter. For some reason I think Vincent Price would have worn this for sitting in his dark library, reading ghost stories to the neighborhood children whose parents are counting the minutes until their younglings return.

And, Rach, I won't comment on your lack of nerve, since I've been reluctant about wearing Curzon ever since it bloomed on me one afternoon and I could not get out of my office fast enough. [​IMG]

13. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I thought The Third Man was named after a movie of the same name. Can't recall where I heard that (probably basenotes), but I do find it an odd scent. Ivan Kipling liked it quite a lot, but I think we're cut from slightly different cloths where scents are concerned.

14. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

Yesterday - L'Artisan Parfumer Mechant Loup. Jut like L'Arisan Dzing, I can barely smell anything and have a hard time distinguishing individual notes with this one. I think my nose is not sensitive to some of the ingredients in these two fragnances.

Today - trying out Parfums Frederic Malle Noir Epices. On my skin I smell rose and sweetness, but none of the "spice market" that is suppose to be there. This rose dose not do much for me. I think this is a much better match for my wife. When I want to do rose I prefer the metallic rose of Creed Fleur de The Rose Bulgare.

15. sybaritical

sybaritical Senior member

Commes des Garcons Rhubarb No.5.

It's a slight bit too sweet when you first put it on but it lingers into something
    unmistakably green and fresh. Perfect for clear bright autumnal days like today.

16. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

Krizia Uomo for the Fall day.

17. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Went shopping for an anniversary gift last night, ended up at Sephora getting samples of men's scents. Got a sample of Cartier Pasha (among others) and I'm really liking it today. It's a fougere, similar to Platinum Egoiste, but a little more tightly wound, not so many florals peeking through, and then there's that mint note that keeps things interesting. Kind of like I'm wearing toothpaste, but at least it's Marvis toothpaste instead of Crest. I might have to get a bottle of this one.

18. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

Jo Malone: Pomegranite Noir

19. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

18 October: Patchouli by Profumum. Just bought it from the Scent Bar and really growing on me. The drydown is spectacular!

20. rach2jlc

Tiffany for Men again today. When in doubt, or on days when the weather is nothing spectacular, this one is always a good fallback option.

Also, Thomas, found out that some of my relatives from "that side of the family" (everybody has "that side," whose inevitable visits bring about a mix of bewilderment and loathing) will be visiting this weekend. I think that Curzon will finally have found its proper setting, where a little bit of over-spraying will be in order. If nothing else, it will guarantee a short visit. [​IMG]

If only I hadn't run out of SMN Peau d'espagne...