• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
You can't go wrong with MI... it may not be the most innovative fragrance in the world, but it oozes class and atmosphere. My personal favorite "all purpose" creed is still Silver Mountain Water, but MI is definitely up there for me on warm days if I want to impress somebody or feel, literally, like a million bucks.

Have you ever tried Bond Riverside Drive? If you like the MI, I think you'd love RD as well. It's got the crispness of MI and a whole lot of that "rich uncle" quality.

Okay, I like SMW pretty well, despite it's quiet nature, but have yet to be moved to try MI, as I've come across a few creeds that were pretty foul, even for my tastes. But I've got to ask - what's the 'rich uncle' quality?

Inquiring minds want to know.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh, you know, everybody has that one rich uncle who was always pleasant-smelling, classy, and was totally unlike your normal family (in a GOOD way). On Basenotes, we call that "rich uncle." You'll know it when you smell a scent that has it...
wink.gif

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Creed Acier Aluminium today. Not sure where it lands on the "Rich Uncle" scale. Maybe an 8.5 out of 10.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today is Hermes Rocabar. Finally the temperature has dipped below 70 which makes me mentally ready for the holidays. Now I just need to visit Garden Ridge Pottery to see all the Christmas decorations (wait, don't we have a few holidays to celebrate between now and Christmas???) to get gloomy again.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Today it's Bond no. 9 H.O.T. Always... for comparison, it's in the same universe as Givenchy Gentleman, only the patchouli is more natural/earthier, the spice is MUCH hotter, and the overall mixture is much deeper and richer (as it should be, given the price difference). Definitely not one to be oversprayed or overapplied, but a great one for cooler weather. "Rich, kind of sleezy uncle" score of 7.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Creed Original Vetiver. I am not really a fan but a sample was in the front of the cabinet and I was rushing out. I give it a "rich uncle" score of 7.

Not a fan of Creed Island Water. Probably because I am not a fan of coconut. Have not come across too many coconut fragances though so have to give them points for originality.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Tried out the new Narcisso Rodriguez today. I don't know how to accurately describe this smell. It smells like somebody rubbed their balls on my arms. Very weird. I may need to try this out again but I'm slightly afraid at the moment.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isfarkand - Ormonde Jayne. I'm a fan of Linda Pilkington's perfumes and this ones has a citrusey start and pink pepper middle section. The drydown smells of pure vetiver. If it had a touch less pepper I would be happier. I first bought this when it was still called Isfahan.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Montale Chypre Vanille for me today. The vanilla is very dry and very pungent, with somewhat harsh middle notes that are bizarre and almost antiseptic... not at all the soft, sweet Chanel Egoiste variety. Nevertheless, I actually really like it, in that it is appealing in a counterintuitive sort of way (sort of like how some people really like the smell of gasoline, I guess).

Anyway, it gets a rich uncle score of .02, but a "crazy aunt score" of 9.5 (you know, the one who has lots of cats and eats oatmeal without any water).

Culverwood, I've not yet tried Ormond Jayne, but I keep hearing such good things about it that I'm definitely going to have to try some out.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Anyway, it gets a rich uncle score of .02, but a "crazy aunt score" of 9.5 (you know, the one who has lots of cats and eats oatmeal without any water).

lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

Today it's back to Helmut Lang Cuiron. For a time I thought this and Rocabar were close cousins, but I think I was dwelling on the orange/spice aspects, and missing the drydown entirely. At least I'm remembering to apply scent in the mornings. We moved to a new house and my bottles have been relocated, and being a creature of habit I'm completely lost.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

Today it's back to Helmut Lang Cuiron. For a time I thought this and Rocabar were close cousins, but I think I was dwelling on the orange/spice aspects, and missing the drydown entirely. At least I'm remembering to apply scent in the mornings. We moved to a new house and my bottles have been relocated, and being a creature of habit I'm completely lost.

Thomas, I think you'd totally be a fan of the Chypre Vanille. You like your scents... shall we say, pungent... and this one might be a vanilla that is harsh enough even for you (haha).

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
John Varvatos - great, imo, autumn scent.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thomas, I think you'd totally be a fan of the Chypre Vanille. You like your scents... shall we say, pungent... and this one might be a vanilla that is harsh enough even for you (haha).

Actually I'm considering a custom scent. Don't know what it will smell like, don't really care actually, I'm just looking for the opportunity to trademark the name Vanilla Crotch. Too bad Tom Ford seems to have had the same inspiration for his print ads.

As for Chypre Vanille, well, I'm on the fence here. My only experience with chypre in general (at least from what I know) is a shave soap called Chypre Rose, and I totally did not connect with it. It was too perfume-y for my tastes, in the same manner that I can't tolerate Guerlinade. So when I hear Chypre, my brain automatically says "Portuguese cathouse" and I tend to back away slowly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads