• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

scanner

Reaction score
anyone have any luck with the hawaiian shirts? i like them as objects, but look like a tool in them.

I have the white / black hawaiian shirt and get mad compliments on it. It's super lightweight and dries in minutes. there is a subtle sheen to it and paper like texture that I really like. The cut is pretty cool - longer in back, shorter in front and it looks awesome with one of the new leathers.

To all the new posters - I think its great you are taking an interest in SLP and are excited about L01 and L17 and Wyatts and Nut and Ochre and what have you, but the annoying thing is that there are about 40 pages at the beginning dedicated to all of these things that you could have simply browsed through and moved on from. A better idea would be to research and read through everything from the beginning and slowly develop your style and see what works for you so you can transition and appreciate some of the newer pieces.

neonrider

Reaction score
i wasn't referring to you or anyone in particular. there's no need to get defensive, that's exactly what's making this thread so tedious. just chill and wear it how you like. maybe that way we can discuss what we actually love about this, instead of constant expressions of anxiety over getting it "right".

for example, as the rattler the sl black raws are a way deeper black than other jeans, i have yet to see one that's as black. or that has such a proportionally cut top block, such a nice balance between denim weight and skinniness thru the leg, etc. i could go on. these are relatively objective things. now you can CHOOSE something else, and that's fine. there's no need to be anxious about it, its not "right" or "wrong" in any sense. this isn't stylezeitgeist where you'll get digitally raped by a thousand frothing goth ninjas for having the impertinence to wearing rick with ccp. so no one's gonna attack you for it. but we should be able to discuss simple facts we can all agree on without it turning into a shitshow.

Last edited:

mansard

Reaction score
an important thing to remember is that none of the rockstars we idolize ever thought about the shafts of their boots poking out. it's okay to care about your appearance, but the nonchalance and irreverence of hedi's saint laurent was what drew me to the brand. obsessing over minute differences in width is not my thing, but to each his own.
To all the new posters - I think its great you are taking an interest in SLP and are excited about L01 and L17 and Wyatts and Nut and Ochre and what have you, but the annoying thing is that there are about 40 pages at the beginning dedicated to all of these things that you could have simply browsed through and moved on from. A better idea would be to research and read through everything from the beginning and slowly develop your style and see what works for you so you can transition and appreciate some of the newer pieces.
assuming the L01/L17 bit is a reference to me - i've tried going through to the beginning of the thread (i've been lurking since page 300-ish) and i really haven't found too much info, but that's really just laziness on my part. i'm a newbie to actually purchasing SLP (the closest boutique is the Millenia Mall boutique in Orlando, and i've not visited it), but i've definitely coveted these pieces for a long, long time. (that being said, FW15 sparked my SLP fandom - i hadn't heard of any of the FW13 obsession until i started browsing this thread.)

therattler

Reaction score
amen to the irreverence. another reasons why this stuff often doesn't work for those who don't understand the specific references etc etc. but for the love of god can someone agree with me that the brass rivets are dope?

slann01

Reaction score
C'mon guys, the latest pages were terrible. All that elitism, and we are speaking of clothes based off vintage and thrift shop finds. We are better than that, seriously.
What I wore today: went for the aggressive route - FW14 studded biker, fluid silk tee. Boots are the ones my father had during military service.

Also, for the new recruits of this Saint Laurent thread, I think you could find useful my latest two posts on my blog - How to find the season of SLP denim (and some traits to search if you are doing a legit check) http://lustercatcher.com/2016/03/01/saint-laurent-tags-guide-spot-fakes/

And my guide for denim codes, sizing and fit for almost all the denim released by SLP up to now http://lustercatcher.com/2016/02/29/saint-laurent-denim-codes-guide/

I hope you enjoy the pics and the links, cheers guys.

Jbidwal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

respect @Jbidwal
 it would be great to see or to talk about how people are working in ss16 pieces into their existing wardrobe. all I've done so far is wear the sneakers instead of boots. when the weather warms up ill start doing the souvenir jackets instead of leather/teddy or blazer as i have previously. i also really like wearing the ripped flannel under permanent outerwear. subtle nods to the surf stuff is really cool.

anyone have any luck with the hawaiian shirts? i like them as objects, but look like a tool in them. 

Being a California person and born and raised here, the surf/ skater influence has always been part of how I like to dress. Grew up with dirty chucks and vans so the sneakers this season really remind me of those. I honestly think the slightly looser denim this season works really well with sneakers.

therattler

Reaction score
nothing inherently wrong with elitism. you rock that studded biker real well. can't entirely get behind the boots, but i feel you.

needhelp123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Beckham

Legiti check? What should I be looking for to make sure on one if these?

that's the one on grailed yeh? that ****** is selling a fake. look at the tag

Last edited:

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does Saint Laurent's calf leather (for jackets) compare to their lamb? I've always found it remarkable how well SL lamb jackets wear in compared to a lot of other lamb jackets (like TOJ), so they must be doing something very right with their sourcing.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Firstly, I think we're all tired of hearing about Hedi jodhpurs and Wyatts in nut. Not criticising those items, but it's been discussed to death. I also agree that we shouldn't become too obsessive over small details, as if something looks good then it looks good.

But then on the other hand it's the details in fit that seperate this stuff from the rest of the garbage out there. Also, we should be careful not to swing too far back the other way either and just buy anything that's offered. Slapping another 2 cm on the shaft of boots was an absolute disaster and completely unnecessary, and these days often what gets produced doesn't resemble what appeared on the runway / ad campaign very closely at all in fit.

I'm about as loyal to the label as it's possible to be (the only other label I even look at is Burberry Prorsum because the tailoring is the only thing that even comes anywhere near my tastes), but with jeans I've been forced to look elsewhere as every raw black pair of jeans post AW 13 looks atrocious at the knee area on me. The only other label I will consider for jeans is Acne because they look very clean and basic (I personally couldn't accept that logo ********** and Bone jeans posted for example), but if they're not up to scratch when I get around to handling them then I'll be forced to have alterations done to the Saint Laurent (however I really don't feel that one should need to taper jeans practically from the crotch down, and sizing down doesn't work as even a 27 isn't nearly as skinny in the leg as a 29 from AW 13 - better to just find another brand).

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
an important thing to remember is that none of the rockstars we idolize ever thought about the shafts of their boots poking out. it's okay to care about your appearance, but the nonchalance and irreverence of hedi's saint laurent was what drew me to the brand. obsessing over minute differences in width is not my thing, but to each his own.
assuming the L01/L17 bit is a reference to me - i've tried going through to the beginning of the thread (i've been lurking since page 300-ish) and i really haven't found too much info, but that's really just laziness on my part. i'm a newbie to actually purchasing SLP (the closest boutique is the Millenia Mall boutique in Orlando, and i've not visited it), but i've definitely coveted these pieces for a long, long time. (that being said, FW15 sparked my SLP fandom - i hadn't heard of any of the FW13 obsession until i started browsing this thread.)

I kind of agree, in that caring too much just isn't cool. I mean it's hard to picture Pete Doherty ever being sober enough to use shoe trees. But then style wise I'm not comparing myself with rock-stars, as I see staff members that look better than the rock-stars almost every time I go to a Saint Laurent store - and they do analyse the details and often have alterations done to get things just so. Also, when I saw Bobbie Gillespie in at the old Bond Street store, he was having his new blazer pinned ready for adjustments to improve the fit, and he was taking plenty of time over it as I was annoyed I couldn't get to the best lit mirror, so I guess even rock stars care about getting things right, and may not be as nonchalant as we think.

therattler

Reaction score
@kieran84 hahahaha i kind of love the idea of pete doherty getting fucked up and getting real obsessed about shoe trees. bleeding on his favourite ones etc. i think the posters, or KTT guys, going overboard on a cm here or there are just posturing. anyone who really cares that much, will as you say, would just get it altered. ss16 seems to have been pretty good for items actually produced? apart from the lack of flames on the dip dyed flannel (which I still love) everything else is pretty spot on.

interesting will be aw16. I'm hoping to be going to the showroom to see some it relatively soon. i fear that everything is going to be a step up price wise. which is fine, but not preferable. i don't see too many people sticking around for pointy boots, waistcoats and *****bows.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a step up in quality / accuracy in production this season too definitely, and almost everything I've bought has just been ordinary permanent collection stuff.

Next season looks very promising to me. Footwear is 100% to my tastes, and I like lots of the outerwear. I'm looking forward to trying one of these overcoats actually. At first I thought it was too much for me, but then I'm thinking with my wardrobe which is pretty plain and basic, then it could look really cool:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads