1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by AriGold, Oct 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. ASAPRice

ASAPRice Well-Known Member

That's a very good point Rattler- I think a lot of what stems from what people tend to like and dislike about the SLP outfit is the intention behind it. It seems kinda corny to me if one dresses a certain way just because their favorite celebrity dresses like that and they don't understand anything behind the culture. Maybe it's just my arrogant (there's a word for this, not coming to my brain atm) side, but I enjoy the things I enjoy because I identify with certain parts of the culture and I desire to express myself in similar ways.

2. OakGhost

OakGhost Senior member

First FW pre order landed.. Can't wait for the velour wyatts next but for now :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  3. Isolar

Isolar Senior member

Interesting thoughts @therattler

The one flaw in praising those who put a lot of work into their outfits is that this goes against the ethos of the brand, certainly under Hedi. No outfit should really appear too labored. Now, that isn't to suggest that a more novel outfit should receive undue scorn. The selection of pieces is of equal importance with the attitude with which you wear them. This, for me, is what seperates those who wear the brand well, and those who seem to only have an interest in the hype surrounding the label. It's difficult to define, but I'd say—like the old adage about obscenity—I know it when I see it. And, more recurrently, I certainly know when it's missing.

It's actually quite refreshing to have discussions like this about the brand. Without being read as too pretentious, I think it really taps into the intellectual intentions behind Hedi's work.

@OakGhost Goddamn, those look awesome! Congrats! I was holding out for a reissue of the calf version, but I might end up grabbing the suede.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  4. chipskylurk

chipskylurk Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. therattler

therattler Senior member

The thing about asking how you come to know what you like, is that you can never really know. You just do. But the point is that it's therefore not strictly an individual thing at all, rather its a complex result of responses to others, images, subcultures, status ... all of it. You cannot disavow the influence the things you say that you don't take into consideration.

You're on to something @Isolar . In order to be perceived as having great style it's always said that one has to look effortless (another contradiction). SLP often allows you to do this with most of the standard stuff, and then you can throw in a seasonal piece as well. Which again is why the bikers, jeans and plain blazers are generally the most interesting items. Let the crazy stuff sit in the outlets alone and forgotten, as closets of Gucci will soon do too. Says the dude who will definitely buy the musical note jacket and never wear it haha.

2 people like this.
  6. ASAPRice

ASAPRice Well-Known Member

@therattler I think a lot of the effortless style comes from being comfortable in what you're wearing. A lot of people who aren't look like the clothes are wearing them and aren't having fun- even more so with the louder pieces.

@chipskylurk thanks!

7. Isolar

Isolar Senior member

A lot of this reminds me of that song, "Losing My Edge" by LCD Soundsystem. How our influnces come to shape who we are, and the absurdity of laying claim to these influences and deeming who can and cannot share in these works, to which you have made no real contribution. I think this attitude is especially prevalent when the work is perceived as somewhat outside the mainstream, and therefore more niche and thereby cherished. I know I'm certainly not immune to this way of thinking, whether in fashion or otherwise. It's a form of curation that isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just worth viewing in proper perspective.

8. Adamdraps

Adamdraps Senior member

9. ZeroChrome

ZeroChrome Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. thorns

thorns Senior member

Nice, I think the wear on those silver cropped jodhpurs tones it down a bit and makes it more rock n' roll and versatile in casual outfits.

11. mwn11

mwn11 Senior member

I tend to agree @therattler , some of the best SL pieces are the everyday ones. The leather jackets, the jeans, the blazers as they are so wearable. Looking at some of the Gucci RTW stuff, i love the look of it such as the bow shirts. But i couldn't throw that on with anything and make it work.

I found a lot of Hedi's work at Saint Laurent accessible and able to work with a variety of different people/subcultures. Maybe this contributed to the typical 'uniform' that has appeared. Compare the L01 to say the Dior Napoleon jacket or a Balmain Military jacket (all of which i like) and I'm guessing most people would pick the L01 as it finds a balance between luxury/fashion/versatility.

The influences and the way people wear saint laurent is a hard one to try and pin point down. As has been mentioned on here discussing whether a belt clashes with a pair of shoes is probably the antitheses of the way that clothes and brand have been portrayed. On the other hand i feel like the clothes have been meticulously designed and cut. e.g the hem to thigh ratio on the jeans, the tailoring of the blazers, even the distressing on shirts and jeans along with the materials used. So to spend time thinking about the details is fine.

I think due to the media/celebrities and probably peoples misconceptions people have pigeonholed Saint Laurent into one look/season. They see the brand and think boots, ripped jeans, leather jackets, and miss out on all of the other cultures/looks/backgrounds that have been references across the collections.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  12. Autre Vue

Autre Vue Member

I must have purchased what is likely the last ever pair of brand new FW2013 Wyatt boots sold at retail, from Galerie Lafayette.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. onlyslp

onlyslp Senior member

Can't believe my belt question brought up this whole talk

But to be honest, everyone is wearing SLP for different reasons. Because it's popular, because celebrities wear SLP pieces, because they want to fit into the template, because they want to look like what seems to be cool at the moment. For whatever reason, you'll be the only one that knows the truth. Nothing wrong with whatever reasons you are buying and wearing SLP pieces.

@neonrider did brought up a point that I never really thought about. There is no formula or recipe as to how one should be wearing SLP. The importance of "style" is what you want to wear hence how you want to present yourself to the world with your outfit. A personal style aka how you and i dress should be something very personal and intimate. This is not including if yourself or other people think if you have a "great style". I believe the most important thing when one decides to buy pieces from any brand should be is it something that you can cooperate into your style to aid how you want to present yourself with your outfit.

And when it comes to great style, you guys mentioned that Hedi thinks it is when someone looks good in their outfit that looks effortless. But a great style to me does not necessarily mean that one has to look good in it. The point of looking good is when a style that you find fits your personality and your appearance. And that's when you realize 1. what looks good with your appearances and features 2. your personality which reflects how you want to be perceived by people.

Some people might think what I just said is really superficial. Hell I myself might not even be a good candidate to be wearing SLP. But that doesn't matter, I'm not trying to convince that I look good and I have great style. On KTT, most people had been arguing about how one has to be skinny and tall to pull off the look. But that's because they're missing the fact that you don't wearing SLP to pull it off, you wear it to compliment your body proportions. If you are tall and slim, congrats now you look taller and slimmer. If you're on the shorter and bigger side, that is when you have to find the right pieces (which saint laurent offers a lot of different fits e.x. skinny - slim - regular fit) to manipulate the visual of your proportion to look good. And if your outfit compliments proportion, then I believe you have a great style.

One last thing though, I am a hair stylist who works at a salon and I see most people try to get hairstyles to fit their outfits/style. But that is wrong, you should be getting outfits that fit your hairstyle because a perfect hairstyle is way harder to find than a perfect outfit

Don't get me wrong, do what makes you happy and these are just my opinions

2 people like this.
  14. Isolar

Isolar Senior member

I actually find it interesting and somewhat amusing that the leather jacket-and-jeans look is so strongly associated with the brand, when I consider the tailoring to be an equally—perhaps, more—distinctive element of the label's DNA. Perhaps it's down to the fact that people dress more casually than they once did, but I still consider the skinny black suit to be Hedi's premier achievement, just as it was at Dior, and one of his more singular looks.

2 people like this.
  15. mwn11

mwn11 Senior member

This i agree with and think it is stupid.

Yes you have to be tall and slim if you want to copy the runway looks and look exactly the same as them. People are limiting the brand to only being able to wear the runway outfits and variants of them.

Lenny Kravitz is a great example though of the non typical body shape yet still rocks it well.

16. GeneralNegative

GeneralNegative Active Member

@onlyslp funny that you should mention hairstyle because, as I was reading all that you guys are talking about, I was thinking about how my hair is a key part of my whole look. If my hair were any different, my look would definitely not flow as well.

To add my two cents and to back up what some of you are saying, remember that a lot of Hedi's influence comes from vintage clothing, rock and punk rock, where it doesn't matter what the brand is, but how you style it and the attitude you put to it. A lot of the people Hedi photographs and that model in his shows wear jeans they've been wearing for years and have gotten torn up and they pair it with some band t shirt and beat up vans/converse. Whether in formal clothing or casual clothing, you can get the punk rock look completely without any SLP clothing.

17. Nimzerz

Nimzerz Well-Known Member

@onlyslp idk your point, nearly every category of hairstyle can be achieved with any hairtype.... You can get rockstar glam hair no matter your type--maybe not a specific kind but it'll fit the style. Even johnny didn't do much other than grow it out but it still worked.

18. onlyslp

onlyslp Senior member

you can get whatever hairstyles you want.....but not all hairstyles will match your face shape, the way you look, and your personality

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  19. slann01

slann01 Senior member

20. Gustave

Gustave Member

Hey guys, I've 2 questions about the black & white teddy jacket. See if any expert could answer :)

Q1, The Black & White wool Varsity/Teddy jacket in this season are made of 88% Wool, 10% Polyamide, 2% Silk. The one in SS16 were made of 93% virgin wool, 7% polyamide.
    I've bought this jacket in aw13 and as I recall it were made in 100% virgin wool in that season.
    So my question is does that 2% silk in this season make a difference comparing the previous seasons one? Or it should feel the same like the one they released in previous seasons ?

Q2, I've noticed this jacket released in a full leather version in women collection this season. I've been wondering when will Saint Laurent make a full leather one for years and finally they made one in Hedi's final collection. Any of you guys know are they gonna release this version in men collection too? It would be a pity if they only have women size...
    [​IMG]

Sorry for my poor English =_="