• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CoutureCowboy

Reaction score
Recent pick-ups, AW13 Sumi Ink and the SS16 aged mutton L17.

I also pre-ordered the grain de poudre black blazer and they shipped it like the next day, lol. Arrived totally f'd up and I wasn't into the jacket in general so I sent it back.

View attachment 788093 View attachment 788094 View attachment 788095

View attachment 788096

All time holy grail, sumi ink... props man.. what size ? Does it fit a little smaller? Measurements I got from a 46 seem to fit like my 44?

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and I feel like this is the right place for questions when it regards Saint Laurent.

I'm in the process of ordering the L01 leather jacket and my question is should I order from ssense.com or ysl.com there is a 100 euro price difference but that is not a problem.

Pros and cons for either is very much appreciated.

Thank you

Prudy

Reaction score
@xczuman the L17 is a Sz 48. I recommend trying first or buying from an online retailer w/ a good return policy as they can vary a bit from season to season and materials/size. I usually take a 46 or 48, depending on the style.

Randeep

Reaction score
Hey Prudy, congrats on the picks up! Would kill for a sumi ink jacket!

I have the SS16 aged mutton L17 in a size 48 (very fitted).

If I just read correctly yours is also 48 but your sumi ink is size 46 (I'm surprised) <<< is that correct? So you recommend I search for a size 48 in the sumi ink I imagine.

Reason I'm asking is because I thought in that jacket (it being calf and fw13) I might need to size up to 50. But if you sized down from the jacket we both own I reckon I should go for the same size.

Thanks

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_3213.JPG
Just got these boys in, I like the color a lot. Sorry about the two diff boots in the pic. Really nice grey faded denim though.

IMG_3217.JPG
Got the coated denim in as well. The stacks are awesome but they are too long, will need to get the hemmed. They are rolled underneath in this pic

Last edited:

Prudy

Reaction score
Hey Prudy, congrats on the picks up! Would kill for a sumi ink jacket!

I have the SS16 aged mutton L17 in a size 48 (very fitted).

If I just read correctly yours is also 48 but your sumi ink is size 46 (I'm surprised) <<< is that correct? So you recommend I search for a size 48 in the sumi ink I imagine.

Reason I'm asking is because I thought in that jacket (it being calf and fw13) I might need to size up to 50. But if you sized down from the jacket we both own I reckon I should go for the same size.

Thanks

Hey, @ohyehhh that's correct ;)

I tend to wear either 46 or 48, depending on style and season. For some reason, I typically take a 46 in the L01 and a 48 in the L17 (though, I can technically wear either). I'm kinda in between sizes, so I just have to base my choices on the individual piece/fit. I'd say the Sumi Ink fits TTS but it's all relative to your proportions.

You are way more muscular than I am, and my body shape is super rectangular (I definitely don't have big biceps or chest muscles). Hence, I find the cropped, boxy fit of the L01 (which I never zip up, btw) usually fits perfectly in 46 and the cropped but not-as-boxy style of the L17 looks better on me in 48 (especially in a lamb/mutton style, which drapes differently). But, the truth is I could wear either size in most SLP leathers except for the really cropped styles that you would want to zip up or button up on occasion.

Just to give you an idea of what I have in case it helps, and none of these fit 'oversized' they are all pretty slim/skinny on my frame:

SS13 trapunto-stitched moto = 48
SS13 peacoats (regular and cropped caban) = Size 50 (this season's overcoats are even smaller than AW13)

AW13 sumi ink = 46
AW13 velvet-collar chesterfield = 48

SS14 blood luster bomber = 48

FW14 tabacco shearling = 48

SS15 fringed L17 = 46
SS15 whipstitch leather = 48

FW15 military pea coat = 48
FW15 camel chesterfield = 46
FW15 shearling aviator = 48
FW15 zig zag bomber = 46

SS16 mutton L17 = 48

FW16 leopard chesterfield = 46

All my denim jackets (SS14 light wash, SS15 March 1978 & 2016 vintage wash) = M

I wear size 48 in all my SLP blazers except for FW14 which runs oversized and I wear a size 46 in those.

Hope that helps...

Ranger44

Reaction score
View attachment 788279 Just got these boys in, I like the color a lot. Sorry about the two diff boots in the pic. Really nice grey faded denim though.

View attachment 788280 Got the coated denim in as well. The stacks are awesome but they are too long, will need to get the hemmed. They are rolled underneath in this pic

Are those SS17 grey? Ive seen some on Mr. Porter, but they were 100% cotton which I hate. Really need that 2% stretch.

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are those SS17 grey? Ive seen some on Mr. Porter, but they were 100% cotton which I hate. Really need that 2% stretch.
Yeah they are the ones from mr porter. The 100% cotton is far more forgiving in the waist than my white D02s, but the thighs are pretty unforgiving. I'm sure they will stretch out a bit, but the color/fade looks really great imo.

Ranger44

Reaction score
Sumi ink... Grail. I love the campaign photo with bubble gum
Yeah they are the ones from mr porter. The 100% cotton is far more forgiving in the waist than my white D02s, but the thighs are pretty unforgiving. I'm sure they will stretch out a bit, but the color/fade looks really great imo.

Do you have back pocket photo? I have the fw16 with 2% stretch..
But the pockets are so small.....idk why

Randeep

Reaction score
Thanks @Prudy - very helpful, I figure you're like a true 47, whereas I'm a true 49 (like Kieran). Hate not being able to try pieces before searching for them but arguing the toss I think 48 would be the size I'd try to make work in sumi ink - I mean it'll give _a little_ I imagine, even being calf.

Recently picked up the fw13 military coat in navy with the peaked lapels, size 50, knowing it is well known to be super skinny - alas it's still too skinny for me at my current size - an expensive mistake to make - armholes especially are unbelievably tight. However it's my true grail piece so hard to let go. Convincing myself I'll fit into it one day ha.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads