• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NO MERCY

Reaction score
Press studs on the inside of the cuff tabs really catching my eye, this is a great design detail. Hope you found that toggle btw.

1600908435412.png

1600908525897.png

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The cuffs there are one of the things that, if you don't have them, the sleeve looks rather bare.

We did have made some miniature versions of the horn toggles, to use at the cuff. They're really very sweet, lovely little tactile things, but in terms of a garnish on the coat, perhaps a little too twee for their own good.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Apologies, kind of nit-picky but is the stitching on the cuff in the 1st photo intentionally slanted? Seems to be straight on the navy toggle and was curious.

I think it must just be the angle of the photograph.

That or the machinist was drunk again.

We've actually done away with that row of stitching entirely this year. The hem at the sleeve is now hand-sewn (felled) which doesn't show through to the outside. I haven't had chance to update the photograph yet.

Jinbei

Reaction score
Could you tell me more about the pockets on the Balmacaan ? Are the front pockets usable to store or it is only for the hands ?

Is it suitable for winter ? (Above 0 degrees celcius)

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
With pleasure!

The pockets function like the slanted / sideways / welt pockets you'd expect on a normal overcoat -- albeit it with an especially deep pocket-bag, because especially deep pocket bags feel great to plunge your hands into.

On top of that, the pocket may also be accessed from the *inside* of the pocket, from the top down, courtesy of wide jetted pockets cut into the side-body facing.

Basically, on each side, you have one pocket, but two ways to access it.

For me, this means I can shove my mobile phone or wallet into the pocket with one hand, but retrieve it perhaps later with the other. As someone who travels around London carrying bags, and thus usually only has one hand free at any given time, it is a godsend.

It goes back to the days of old military coats, where pockets would have a channel through which a person could access the garments worn underneath (maybe to access a gun or grenade-belt or other supplies: who knows?)

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Is it suitable for winter ? (Above 0 degrees celcius)

The tweed is in the 850gsm range, and is chunky, and from the perspective of a Londoner, is a good all-round winter coat. I'd wear it with at least a couple of layers, scarf, and gloves at 0ºc, though.

Jinbei

Reaction score
Is this the same color as last year, navy grey, but with a different pattern (the left one) ? Can't wait to see the tweed on the final product.

What kind of wool is used to make this tweed ?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Is this the same color as last year, navy grey, but with a different pattern (the left one) ? Can't wait to see the tweed on the final product.

What kind of wool is used to make this tweed ?

The blue-grey is a bit lighter and less saturated than the box-tweed last year, but is pretty similar, yes.

And the yarn is pure merino lambswool. That's one of the reasons we use tweed like this every year: it is very knobbly and bobbly but not at the expense of comfort.

Jinbei

Reaction score
I usally see garments made from merino or lambswool, but I never saw the two terms combined together. Does it mean its from a lamb of the merino species ? It may be the best of both world...

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I usally see garments made from merino or lambswool, but I never saw the two terms combined together. Does it mean its from a lamb of the merino species ? It may be the best of both world...

I think the terms "merino lambswool" and "merino wool" are interchangeable. Not sure.

Maybe merino lambswool is the term used more in weaving, but merino wool is more common for hosiery or knitwear ... ?

Obviously, merino lambswool is the softest possible combination, though, yes, as "merino wool" by itself implies the yarn comes from merino sheep of any age, and like us all, as sheep age, they coarsen.

Last edited:

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Paul, can you comment on the colours for the crew neck (and possibly other knits) this season?

Yep!

The heavy crewneck is coming back in a dark grey-green and a dark brown-grey.

Rather than recent years, where the mottled / marbled effect of the knit is made by combining two shades of yarn, this time there will be three shades of yarn in the mix. It should up the ante of texture, and make the look of the knitwear more unique.

We went through a stage, about a decade ago, of using four shades of yarn. That was very nice, but sometimes, some colours of the knitwear could be too muddled or cluttered. Hopefully, the middle-ground that is three will be the right balance.

Oh — and all knitwear will be superfine lambswool.

The gansey is coming back in very dark blue and dark grey; the bodywarmer will make its debut in very dark blue and brown; the polo shirt (with long sleeves) in mid-grey and dark grey; the balaclava in dark grey and very dark navy; the scarf in the same grey-green as the crewneck plus dark grey; and the watch cap (which will be taller for that fashionable garden gnome look) will be in grey-green and dark navy.

As with quite a lot of other things this autumn-winter, numbers will be smaller than normal on account of having planned all the above mid-lockdown (part 1) when the prospects for the rest of the year weren't exactly rosy!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads