• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sneaky Pete

Reaction score
And here's a few new witterings about another very fine cloth — one arguably more suitable for this time of year:

https://www.sehkelly.com/words/2018/07/topical-tropical-topographical/

Paul
I love your writing as much as I love your clothes (or think I do - haven't managed to buy any yet, although I hope to change that soon). It's not just the subject matter, which indicates a deep thoughtfulness about design, fit, fabric, etc but the style too. Really good writing is rare, especially when it comes to clothes.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I love your writing as much as I love your clothes (or think I do - haven't managed to buy any yet, although I hope to change that soon). It's not just the subject matter, which indicates a deep thoughtfulness about design, fit, fabric, etc but the style too. Really good writing is rare, especially when it comes to clothes.

Cheers. Very kind.

I’ve always enjoyed the discourse across Styleforum, but I do agree that there isn’t as much written with thought about clothing as perhaps there should, especially given all the thought that clearly goes into it.

I’ve had some spare time to update http://sehkelly.com/words/ over the past week, and intend to plough on with it next week, too.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We've been having some fun this month making shirts with cloth that isn't quite what you'd expect ... quite.

The first of these is a type of cloth we've been pursuing for quite a while — namely a very lightweight material, good in "properly hot weather" and but which is also quite interesting. What we've found is a very unassuming cloth known as parachute cotton.

shirt-granddad-parachute-cotton-alabaster-6.jpg

shirt-granddad-parachute-cotton-alabaster-5.jpg

shirt-granddad-parachute-cotton-alabaster-3.jpg

shirt-granddad-parachute-cotton-alabaster-2.jpg

It is, in the words of the man that makes it, "used for parachutes and ejector seats in fighter planes. The reason it shines is that it is made from the finest Egyptian cotton, which is mercerised, like sewing thread, which also makes it very strong."

It is by far the finest and lightest material we have ever used — even more so than the light Irish linens that we made shirts with a few years ago. And though it looks very plain, it does have a very subtle lustre to it, because of the mercerisation mentioned above.

We introduced it in large part to satisfy a demand of our customers in Japan, where it gets very, very hot and humid in summer. And, now that we're having a similar sort of summer here in London, I'm very glad we did.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Here's another of those fairly unassuming materials we've used to make shirts this summer.

It's a linen, and a plain one at that -- but it is very fine yarn, a weighty weave, and is mercerised and sanforised. The former creates a very clean, lustred surface, and the latter stabilising the cloth and means, unlike most linen, it doesn't shrink or otherwise misbehave.

shirt-kelly-collar-tailor-linen-grey-1@2x.jpg

shirt-kelly-collar-linen-dark-navy-2.jpg
shirt-kelly-collar-tailor-linen-grey-5.jpg
shirt-kelly-collar-linen-dark-navy-6.jpg

It's tailoring linen, in effect: typically used for making suits. It also makes a linen shirt with no little amount of heft and authority, and one low on the "crease-propensity" scale. Not as light and breathable as lighter linens ... but good in spring and autumn. It is a match for some of the heavier jackets we've lined up for post-summer, such as the corduroy work jackets we're currently making -- and the idea of things being suitable beyond a narrow seasonal timescale is something that we've been working slowly towards for some time.

Paul

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Any news or new pictures of the tielocken? Thanks, Paul!

It is very much at hand, and is due to be cut within the next couple of weeks — ergo, probably complete this time next month.

Shall I drop you a line when they're done?

And I'll post some photographs of the cloth, cut or otherwise, in the next day or two. It is a very subtle Donegal tweed: a birdseye. From a distance it looks very similar to the only previously shared images of the tielocken, but up close, the pattern is slightly more bold.

JackL2

Reaction score
It is very much at hand, and is due to be cut within the next couple of weeks — ergo, probably complete this time next month.

Shall I drop you a line when they're done?

And I'll post some photographs of the cloth, cut or otherwise, in the next day or two. It is a very subtle Donegal tweed: a birdseye. From a distance it looks very similar to the only previously shared images of the tielocken, but up close, the pattern is slightly more bold.

Yes, please! I appreciate that, I'd very much like to stay posted. The old fabric looked great, and I"m sure this birdseye is more of the same.

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Paul. You mention cord work jackets. Any swatch colors you share? I have been looking for a corduroy jacket and can’t find one I like

Thx

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Paul. You mention cord work jackets. Any swatch colors you share? I have been looking for a corduroy jacket and can’t find one I like

Thx

We're making them in a tan colour (at the redder end of the tan spectrum) and black. The corduroy is quite thick, and quite wide of wale. A good, hard-wearing chunky corduroy.

And the style will be the same as https://www.sehkelly.com/work-jacket-in-cotton-sail-cloth-in-slate-blue/ — i.e. with the collar and the recessed armhole.

The other new thing is that they'll likely have butcher's buttons: our first garments to do so.

They'll be done by the end of the month, all being well.

Paul

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, please! I appreciate that, I'd very much like to stay posted. The old fabric looked great, and I"m sure this birdseye is more of the same.

Here it is.

Quite resistant to being photographed in the poor light of the factory, hence a few variations of the same thing.

tielocken-cloth-2.jpg
tielocken-cloth-3.jpg
tielocken-cloth-1.jpg

Paul

JackL2

Reaction score
That's perfect. Are there any pics of tielocken samples from the front, just to see the full design? Regardless, I think I'm definitely in for this when it's complete next month.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That's perfect. Are there any pics of tielocken samples from the front, just to see the full design? Regardless, I think I'm definitely in for this when it's complete next month.

Sorry for the delay — I'll see what I can do ...

I did photograph a toile of the tielocken quite extensively, for posterity, a few months ago, and I'm sure there's a front-on image there somewhere.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Some photographs of our new peacoat, here, which this time we've made in a merino hopsack from West Yorkshire.

peacoat-hopsack-overcoating-dark-navy-2.jpg

peacoat-hopsack-overcoating-dark-grey-3.jpg

peacoat-hopsack-overcoating-dark-grey-5.jpg

peacoat-hopsack-overcoating-dark-navy-7.jpg

peacoat-hopsack-overcoating-dark-grey-11.jpg

peacoat-hopsack-overcoating-dark-navy-15.jpg

peacoat-hopsack-overcoating-dark-grey-12.jpg

peacoat-hopsack-overcoating-dark-navy-5.jpg

It's a splendid cloth, it really is — heavy, dense, but not too bulky.

Thus the peacoat arguably looks more elegant than last year's nigh-bulletproof model.

Full of character, too, the cloth — all bobbly basketweave, multiple shades of the same colour, and a certain fuzziness. Atypical of merino, that last quality, and a result of a very light and personality-preserving finish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads