• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rum.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Had a rum sampling at the house last night. Results:
Plantation 2000 Jamacia - horrible nose on this. smells like rotten bananas. It was very weird in that it would mellow a bit after a pour, then when I'd come back to it the smell would return. Couldn't get over it.
Plantation barbados run 20th anniversary extra old - the nose on this was better but the taste was worse. sort of rotten bananas again. not impressed with the Plantation family, obviously.
Rum Martinique - rhum agricole Neisson reserve special - this one has a sort of creme brulee nose but really lacked any sort of body on the finish. Might have been helped with an ice cube but I doubt it.
Smith & Cross Traditional Jamacia Rum - Pure Pot Still Navy Strength - The strongest of the bunch at 57% alcohol, it literally tasted like rum cut with rubbing alcohol. Horrible.

Crazy talk. You must not care for the cognac finishing.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Not true kind sir. I do loves me some Dos Maderas. There was just something about it, and the Jamaican, that made me want to gag.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Dos Maderas = sherry :nodding:

God damn it, you're right. My bad.

Tonight's tastings:

Ron Barcelo Imperial - very honey scented nose. The finish is sort of a cross between a fine rum and honey. Nice. Not my fav, but definitely not offending in any way.

Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva - Very sugared/molasses nose. The taste is sweet but with a bit of burn on the finish. Just a slight bit. Complex character on this one. I get a bit of charred sugarcane. I like this.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Had a rum sampling at the house last night. Results:

Plantation 2000 Jamacia - horrible nose on this. smells like rotten bananas. It was very weird in that it would mellow a bit after a pour, then when I'd come back to it the smell would return. Couldn't get over it.

Plantation barbados run 20th anniversary extra old - the nose on this was better but the taste was worse. sort of rotten bananas again. not impressed with the Plantation family, obviously.

Rum Martinique - rhum agricole Neisson reserve special - this one has a sort of creme brulee nose but really lacked any sort of body on the finish. Might have been helped with an ice cube but I doubt it.

Smith & Cross Traditional Jamacia Rum - Pure Pot Still Navy Strength - The strongest of the bunch at 57% alcohol, it literally tasted like rum cut with rubbing alcohol. Horrible.

Everyone seems to praise the Plantation 20th Anniversary, so that's interesting. I've had the Smith & Cross in cocktails, and didn't even like it there. I don't understand the point of it.

To that end, I just ordered this Rum book on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0789208024/ref=pe_175190_21431760_cs_sce_dp_1

We'll see if its any good. I've really been enjoying Rum since my first bottle of Zacapa two years ago, but am only now really getting into it. I don't know that I yet really understand it -- it is not as easy a spirit to learn as, say, Scotch, or even bourbon.

Speaking of finishes, ama, one of the stores I take quarterly trips to sometimes has the Murray McDavid rums with various finishes. Do you have any experience/recs for rum finishes? I so often love them with whisky, especially when they add a winey element to a estery whisky, or a sweet treacle to a smoky one. When I imagine a rum like El Dorado 15, I can't really see what note I'd want to add.
God damn it, you're right. My bad.

Tonight's tastings:

Ron Barcelo Imperial - very honey scented nose. The finish is sort of a cross between a fine rum and honey. Nice. Not my fav, but definitely not offending in any way.

Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva - Very sugared/molasses nose. The taste is sweet but with a bit of burn on the finish. Just a slight bit. Complex character on this one. I get a bit of charred sugarcane. I like this.

Dude, you are really rockin it out. I am impressed.

~ H

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Everyone seems to praise the Plantation 20th Anniversary, so that's interesting.

Speaking of finishes, ama, one of the stores I take quarterly trips to sometimes has the Murray McDavid rums with various finishes. Do you have any experience/recs for rum finishes? I so often love them with whisky, especially when they add a winey element to a estery whisky, or a sweet treacle to a smoky one. When I imagine a rum like El Dorado 15, I can't really see what note I'd want to add.

~ H

M McD finishes that I've had I thought were overpriced. I love the Plantation cognac finish though. My recent lower priced favorite has been Dos Maderas PX 5 + 5. I don't think that is really a finish though, as it spends its entire life in sherry casks. I've had some interesting finishes from Renegade too, but again, I think they are largely overpriced. Finishes with rum are an odd thing because of the vast breadth of vessels that rum is aged in. Check out the Zacapa blending and aging process sometime to see what I mean. They use practically everything in their process to stellar results.

The only thing that I would do to El Dorado 15 is make it smokier. I think that is an incredible flavor in rum. (Hudson's rum can be very smoky depending on the batch. I usually try to keep a bottle of it around for a change of pace.)

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any good rums available here around 30€? Nothing sounds familiar but some sound interesting. And I might as well buy one rum and one gin instead of two gins.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

. My recent lower priced favorite has been Dos Maderas PX 5 + 5. I don't think that is really a finish though, as it spends its entire life in sherry casks.

Dos Maderas 5+5 isn't so much a finish as an incredibly smooth ride all the way through. Sometimes I don't even think it tastes like rum.
:inlove: Ramboaner got me a bottle of this as a Christmas gift. It is the cat's meow. I say a little sheepishly that my bottle is almost gone already, but it's really hard not to have a couple of ounces every night while unwinding. Very smooth, just slightly sweet, complex, beautiful.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:inlove: Ramboaner got me a bottle of this as a Christmas gift. It is the cat's meow. I say a little sheepishly that my bottle is almost gone already, but it's really hard not to have a couple of ounces every night while unwinding. Very smooth, just slightly sweet, complex, beautiful.

I found it for $30 at a place and bought the last six they had. I think its easily that good.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I found it for $30 at a place and bought the last six they had. I think its easily that good.

Its $40 here so I would have definitely done the same.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads