• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Rugby Cords - Review

tony19

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2008
Messages
96
Reaction score
0
Hey guys - saw this pic recently on the Sartorialst and it motivated me to go check out Rugby here in Georgetown. They did not let me down. I opted for the more simple tan wide whale cords. It is so hard these days to find cords/khakis that do not have too much material. Their cords and khakis were spot on. no tailoring needed at all to get the slim more modern look. they weren't too slim either. just right. I've recently been paying a lot of attention on the looks of a book called "take ivy" which focuses on the styles of the 60's / 70's at ivy league colleges. this was my dad's generation and they get it. why is it so hard for our generation's clothing lines to make products that fit like this? anyways Rugby has done a good job...not to mention at a great price.

To top everything off their service was incredible. very friendly and helpful.


http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_qjpwnPW4c1...tasslesWeb.jpg
 

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 8, 2007
Messages
9,081
Reaction score
42
The Rugby store here closed a few seasons ago. Are yours embroidered like those? I can't tell what little emblems are embroidered on his. I'm wearing Brooks cords at the moment and was thinking this morning how much I liked them. They are not as slim in the leg though.
 

tony19

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2008
Messages
96
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by crazyquik
The Rugby store here closed a few seasons ago. Are yours embroidered like those? I can't tell what little emblems are embroidered on his. I'm wearing Brooks cords at the moment and was thinking this morning how much I liked them. They are not as slim in the leg though.

no the ones I purchased are the plain ones in "british taupe" they have the same cut as the guy's on sartorialist. I like Brooks for other items but can't get hooked on their slacks. they are simply too baggy and need too much work done at a tailor. I always thought it was funny that we now call the slimmer cut "modern" when you look back it is actually more "classic" than anything. the baggy look should be called "modern" instead. kind of funny.

here is the link for the ones I purchased today:

http://www.rugby.com/shop/item.aspx?...goryId=3138682

Here is the link for his:

http://www.rugby.com/shop/item.aspx?...goryId=3138682

I believe the embroidered feature is a crown with a bird on it. His sweater is also from rugby. I checked that out as well but it had brown suede patches on the elbows. thought it was a little impractical....along with the embroidery
 

netovargas90

Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2007
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Nice purchase on the cords, i like them a lot myself. However the ones in the picture are not in the same cut (or fabric if i remember) than the university cords you own. The ones you own are much slimmer and are a thick wide wale corduroy, all their embroidered pants are done in the roomier fit.

Also, the clothes in take ivy are far from slimmer than today's. In fact you can see that most of their shirts balloon out when tucked in and their chinos have roomier legs than what we have available today. Most of what preppies wore back then was from brooks, murrays toggery shop and the like, all of which never really offered a slim fit. In addition to that, when comparing old brooks shirts to the new ones, the new ones are a tiny bit narrower.I think you might be mistaking the effortlessness of how they wear their clothes and bigger builds with slimness.

Hey crazyquik, how are the brooks pants (quality and fit)? I haven't been there in a while and the times i've been there before i have never really tried on their pants. All of my pants are from either jcrew, rl or rugby if those serve as a point of comparison.
 

tony19

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2008
Messages
96
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by netovargas90
Nice purchase on the cords, i like them a lot myself. However the ones in the picture are not in the same cut (or fabric if i remember) than the university cords you own. The ones you own are much slimmer and are a thick wide wale corduroy, all their embroidered pants are done in the roomier fit.

Also, the clothes in take ivy are far from slimmer than today's. In fact you can see that most of their shirts balloon out when tucked in and their chinos have roomier legs than what we have available today. Most of what preppies wore back then was from brooks, murrays toggery shop and the like, all of which never really offered a slim fit. In addition to that, when comparing old brooks shirts to the new ones, the new ones are a tiny bit narrower.I think you might be mistaking the effortlessness of how they wear their clothes and bigger builds with slimness.

Hey crazyquik, how are the brooks pants (quality and fit)? I haven't been there in a while and the times i've been there before i have never really tried on their pants. All of my pants are from either jcrew, rl or rugby if those serve as a point of comparison.


Roomier? I'd hate to see what you consider slimmer fit. Thanks for the reply but i think you are off. sure back then they didn't offer a line of "slim fit" because all the clothing naturally came slimmer...or the way it should fit. I look back at my dad's old photos in cords or khakis or even jeans and they all fit slim down the leg naturally. My dad is a total meathead and he wouldn't be caught dead looking at a label for "slim fit". he just bought what fit.

almost all the guys in the photos in take ivy have slimmer legs. see the pictures below...I don't see how they are far from slim.

See this thread for good pics from the book:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=66216

Also see these links:

http://acontinuouslean.com/2008/05/19/take-ivy/

http://acontinuouslean.com/2008/06/0...more-take-ivy/

http://acontinuouslean.files.wordpre...08/05/ti13.jpg

http://acontinuouslean.files.wordpre...8/05/ti121.jpg
 

netovargas90

Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2007
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
whatever, really no point in arguing it. nice purchase on the cords.
 

metkirk

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2006
Messages
589
Reaction score
0
Rugby cords are great, I have the same pair in 28 waist and it fits me perfectly even when my legs are kinda chickenish.
 

tony19

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2008
Messages
96
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by metkirk
Rugby cords are great, I have the same pair in 28 waist and it fits me perfectly even when my legs are kinda chickenish.

Damn! 28! I wish I was close to that size. I usually go with size "bear".

How do they hold up over time? do they last? how long have you had them?
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 31 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.5%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 53 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,199
Messages
9,229,896
Members
193,751
Latest member
mvagrippa
Top