• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rubinacci Interviewed by Bruce Boyer at FIT

Rory Duffy

Reaction score
Did any of you attend the event last night (26 march) at FIT where Bruce Boyer interviewed Mariano and Luca Rubinacci on the Neapolitan style?

For me it was a great insight into their style and what they feel sets them apart from British tailoring. Luca spoke very elegantly about the fit, style and the essence of Neapolitan look. I must confess my exposure to their tailoring is limited, although it is quite different from Savile row I respect their style and would love the opportunity to visit Naples and see their craftsmanship first hand.

What surprised me most was Lucas honesty when he said it doesn't always reach the clients expectations and when this happens, keen to pleases, they simply start again assigning a new tailor and cutter. In the trade we refer to this suit as a 'pork', sure if it never happened there wouldn't be a word for it.

Listening to them speak about their set up, a cutter, coat maker, trouser maker etc and how each client is assigned their own personal tailors in order to maintain consistence in the clients clothing reminded me so much of Henry Poole and how they manage their clients and distribute the work to their tailors. Each time a client returns to have a new suit made the same tailors make it.

The parallels between Naples and Savile row in my mind seemed so similar its tough to say for sure what sets them apart. Luca spoke about how he wanted his clients to feel as though they weren't wearing a suit, when a client returned from work the last thing he wanted them to do was feel the need to remove their jacket for comfort, one should feel as though they could do anything in their suit without feeling restricted. Every tailor including myself would cringe at the thought that their client looked forward to removing their coat at the days end.

Unfortunately I arrived late to the event and missed the first fifteen or so minutes, some viewers where recording the interview, I wonder if anyone has a video or thoughts they would like to share.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads