• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was that from RL's announcement that Hickey would make some of their tailoring?
I think it was for Trunk Club. Schumer also got the wool trust fund renewed in the Farm Bill apparently:

https://apnews.com/e0e980d0fae044ca878ef07b07df9f77

"ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) — Good news for upstate New York clothier Hickey Freeman.

The new U.S. Senate farm bill would extend the Wool Trust Fund program, which the Rochester-based company counts on for relief from tariffs. The fund is set to expire next year.

Democratic U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer says the program is essential to put U.S. companies that make wool clothing products on a level playing field. Overseas competitors import suits into the U.S. and don’t have to pay the same wool duties as U.S. suit makers.

The Wool Trust Fund program also provides U.S. wool producers with funding for improvements in wool production methods and development of the wool market.

The House version of the farm bill would slash the program in half."

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it was for Trunk Club. Schumer also got the wool tariff renewed in the Farm Bill apparently:

https://apnews.com/e0e980d0fae044ca878ef07b07df9f77

"ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) — Good news for upstate New York clothier Hickey Freeman.

The new U.S. Senate farm bill would extend the Wool Trust Fund program, which the Rochester-based company counts on for relief from tariffs. The fund is set to expire next year.

Democratic U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer says the program is essential to put U.S. companies that make wool clothing products on a level playing field. Overseas competitors import suits into the U.S. and don’t have to pay the same wool duties as U.S. suit makers.

The Wool Trust Fund program also provides U.S. wool producers with funding for improvements in wool production methods and development of the wool market.

The House version of the farm bill would slash the program in half."

But what about the Interstate Commerce Clause of the Constitution???

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since we're talking about New York suit makers, anyone heard of Adrian Jules? Apparently they are another Rochester, NY suit maker. My tailor here in DC offers MTM through them but I have zero experience with their stuff. Got to see some of their suits on my tailor but nothing more than that. http://www.adrianjules.com/

Maybe Roger Stone knows them? :devil:

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
688142DA-8F23-45CE-94BB-EA7227F5278C.jpeg 54EDF9EA-2633-40AD-9DD0-482784F8DB8A.jpeg
I think it was for Trunk Club.

He’s wearing different shirts and ties in those photos.
The top image was the Trunk Club/ Farm Bill thing, the second was the Olympic Uniform unveiling. That’s me getting him out of that jacket and into one of the Olympic blazers.

The whole wool trust thing is so stupid. Basically in the US we pay 25% duty on finer grades of wool, whereas China, Italy, Canada, Mexico etc. don’t. So the manufacturers apply for a rebate of part of that duty based on some pretty Byzantine calculations. Seems to me it would just make more sense to eliminate the duty since there’s only one mill in the US making anything that meets those criteria.

Senator Schumer has been very supportive of the company over the years.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Since we're talking about New York suit makers, anyone heard of Adrian Jules? Apparently they are another Rochester, NY suit maker. My tailor here in DC offers MTM through them but I have zero experience with their stuff. Got to see some of their suits on my tailor but nothing more than that. http://www.adrianjules.com/

Those who remember Darren Beaman might be surprised to learn that he is now their pattern cutter.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Those who remember Darren Beaman might be surprised to learn that he is now their pattern cutter.
Holy F*ck

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1126368 View attachment 1126369

He’s wearing different shirts and ties in those photos.
The top image was the Trunk Club/ Farm Bill thing, the second was the Olympic Uniform unveiling. That’s me getting him out of that jacket and into one of the Olympic blazers.

The whole wool trust thing is so stupid. Basically in the US we pay 25% duty on finer grades of wool, whereas China, Italy, Canada, Mexico etc. don’t. So the manufacturers apply for a rebate of part of that duty based on some pretty Byzantine calculations. Seems to me it would just make more sense to eliminate the duty since there’s only one mill in the US making anything that meets those criteria.

Senator Schumer has been very supportive of the company over the years.
Fantastic! Is the US mill you mentioned the one that made the fabric for the Hickey Freeman blue noble fiber sport coat? I've been wearing the heck out of that jacket since Fall.
Capture.JPG

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fantastic! Is the US mill you mentioned the one that made the fabric for the Hickey Freeman blue noble fiber sport coat? I've been wearing the heck out of that jacket since Fall.
View attachment 1126394

I’m not supposed to publicly comment on our business. The Schumer stuff was in the press so that’s cool. I would direct your enquiry to our customer service department. Sry.

(And sorry about typos I’m on my phone, about to go in for my naturalization interview.)

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
"The whole wool trust thing is so stupid. Basically in the US we pay 25% duty on finer grades of wool, whereas China, Italy, Canada, Mexico etc. don’t. So the manufacturers apply for a rebate of part of that duty based on some pretty Byzantine calculations. Seems to me it would just make more sense to eliminate the duty since there’s only one mill in the US making anything that meets those criteria."

CTDA once tried to lobby for a change IIRC. Nothing became of it. Antiquated law used to protect American mills that no longer exist

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
(And sorry about typos I’m on my phone, about to go in for my naturalization interview.)

Phoning it in Huh?

We can celebrate the occasion next visit!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads