• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, pretty sure Obama mixed in some Martin Greenfield. I think some of Trump's better fitting stuff is Greenfield as well, but I could be mistaken.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, its a **** show in there right now. I mean, not classic, for the ages **** show like this thread, but theres some costumery terribleness that cant be unseen.

Mr. Six and Claghorn always look nice.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha...re WAYWRN: It's like it's been for as long as I can remember: about 4 or 5 people who post great stuff; most of the rest unbearably bad (but a handful of whom are there to "get better" and chide others for not being as willing to learn as they are...); 1 or 2 totally bonkers noob types who are shocked to find they are apparently supposed to not simply post what they are wearing "right now" but rather, should be "learning"; and like 1 or 2 dudes with pro crews doing staged shoots and **** of things they are most certainly NOT wearing "right now", who act like style prophets (apropos stone and this thread), until they get bored and move on to watches or cars (or in stone's case, jail), or whatever...

(I kid, I kid...I love that thread!)

(No)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
me telling my tailor how many sizes i want to go up

DyBgk3BVsAUtap5.jpg

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Such an odd set of extremes...
Nice nice fabrics, etc. but the fit... Get an alterations tailor already!

If I were his PR guy I would also advise him to go for less, erm..., 'distinctive' glasses

Great hat though

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looking at Stone dress so poorly after reading all of the rules reminds me of my favorite Bob Marley quote describing American musicians inability to play reggae music:

"Them knew it, but them can't do it."

that's a great quote

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Also, pretty sure Obama mixed in some Martin Greenfield. I think some of Trump's better fitting stuff is Greenfield as well, but I could be mistaken.

President Obama had some Greenfield suits. There is a photo of the President with Martin and sons at a fitting at the White House. It is in Mr. Greenfield's book, "The Measure of a Man".

Most presidents and other leaders and big shots don't advertise where they buy their clothes. As for the clothier using it for public relations, it is a bit unseemly. I know of a famous rich guy who dropped his clothier because the clothier gave an item to the Post's Page Six. An exception is Mayor Bloomberg who switched from Paul Stuart MTM to Greenfield; he has said so to the press.

Also, most presidents, etc., buy from a few different sources. It is rare that they are "exclusive" to one house or maker. Even Prince Charles who is famously connected to Anderson & Sheppard flirted with a couple of other makers. It is not uncommon for a friend of the President to try to get the President to try the friend's tailor with the assurance of looking better, younger, trimmer, etc.

A Times article mentioned that President Trump buys some Greenfield. It is interesting that President Trump has not bought from Oxxford Clothes which is a mere 500 feet from the entrance of the Trump Tower.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
bozos in this thread will claim im being partisan, but honestly robert mueller is one of the best dressed people right now in washington. supposedly, he gets all his clothes from brooks brothers (maybe some stuff from j press). the suits fit him well and have a defined shoulder line (unlike most of stone's clothes). his button down collars don't look like they're giving birth to a tie. he has excellent taste in neckwear. and the one bit of personality in his dress -- the way he wears a casio watch with the face down -- comes from his days as a marine. supposedly people in the military will often wear their watch faces down so as to not reveal their position to an enemy if the sun hits the face in the wrong way.

i talked to one of mueller's biographers once, garrett graff. he said mueller made a conscious decision to always wears white shirts because he felt it conveyed a certain sense of professionalism that was necessary for his line of work. supposedly fbi agents have been known to scurry out in the night to get a plain white shirt, if they didn't already own one, if they had a meeting wtih him the next day. an except from something graff wrote for the washington times:

"At work, Mueller expects his staff to match his unofficial FBI uniform—dark suits, dark ties, and white shirts. His 7 and 9 am daily staff meetings look like a throwback to the G-men era of J. Edgar Hoover. Colored shirts are worn at one’s own peril. The head of the bureau’s public-affairs division, John Miller—a former ABC investigative reporter who interviewed Osama bin Laden in the 1990s—tries to sneak in a colored shirt on occasion, but Mueller will look down the table at the 9 am staff meeting and ask, 'John, what exactly are you wearing?'"

On Mueller style:

1. Mr. Mueller would be quite embarrassed to be called stylish or well dressed. He is from a generation and culture (74 years old) where being complimented on one's clothes is a bit of an embarrassment. His generation and culture adheres to the Brummell dictum that if someone turns his head when passing you on the street, then you are too well dressed or poorly dressed.

2. Mr. Mueller had a privileged background (boarding school, Princeton University, U. of Virginia). As illustrated in his yearbook picture, wearing a tie and jacket was as natural as could be. I think that Mr. Mueller would never consider appearing in public without his uniform. On the other hand, James Comey, has gotten rid of the tie and suit to make his many talk show appearances. He wants to look hip when appearing on Jimmy Kimmel. Mr. Mueller would say (if asked) that he is square and proud of it. Comey is trying to look cool when an ex-FBI Director should look ready for action at all times whether it be a press conference or a raid. J. Edgar Hoover would not have approved of Mr. Comey's new clothes.

3. The Mueller uniform of white shirt, sober tie, and dark suit was most common not only among the ruling classes and upper management but among those 1st generation strivers entering corporate America. I used to see similarly attired men in hordes in Manhattan in the Financial District and Grand Central Station. One of my bosses, who was not from a privileged background, wore every day a navy suit and white button-down shirt. This is not so anymore. Often, you can count on one hand the number of suited and tied men on a rush-hour subway car. You can count even fewer with the Mueller look.

4. Before the casual cancer went full blown, men used to go to regularly to clothiers to refresh their wardrobe with the same clothes. I recall that when Brooks had its post-Christmas sale, it offered a special on four button-down shirts. I used to see businessmen buy a box of four or more in white oxford cloth.

5. Due to the casual disease, Mr. Mueller's attire seems extraordinary when in fact it is not. That is the whole point of it. It is proper attire of a gentleman which is appropriate for business, meetings, social gatherings, etc.

6. A side note on Roger Stone style. Mr. Stone does not adhere to the Brummell dictum in # 1. He is of the belief that ordinary clothes look ordinary and make the man look dull and smaller. His style is bold striped suits, double breasted, and homburg hats. He wants to heads turn. In comparison, Mr. Mueller does not want the attention.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
C5XFWi_VMAAAFWD.jpg IMG_0995.JPG

I remember Chuck Schumer celebrating Hickey Freeman a while back.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score

I remember Chuck Schumer celebrating Hickey Freeman a while back.

Senator Schumer has good cause to celebrate Hickey Freeman. It is still headquartered in Rochester, New York. It is a union shop. It recently changed its label to add "New York" as a selling point.

Hickey Freeman. Born in New York. Still there.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Senator Schumer has good cause to celebrate Hickey Freeman. It is still headquartered in Rochester, New York. It is a union shop. What could be a more nature place for our esteemed senator?
I really like HF and have several suits and sport coats from them. they never get the proper amount of love here on SF. :angry:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Senator Schumer has good cause to celebrate Hickey Freeman. It is still headquartered in Rochester, New York. It is a union shop. What could be a more nature place for our esteemed senator?

Was that from RL's announcement that Hickey would make some of their tailoring?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads