1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Roger Stone's attire

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by EzraPaul, Feb 12, 2019.

1. smittycl

smittycl Distinguished Member

Excellent! I love the sport coat.

2. dreamspace

dreamspace Distinguished Member

I noticed that Trump started using his Greenfield suits more frequently after being called out on the poor fit (of his Brioni suits).

They seem to fit his shoulders much better. One problem with Trump and RTW is that because he's such a portly man, his jackets end up being too wide over the shoulders, all while his trousers are hugging around the crotch. Doesn't help that he goes with very fine fabrics either.

Pretty sure this is one of his Greenfield suits - with a ticket pocket (I've seen that one a lot, he usuall tucks the ticket flap inside the pocket)

[​IMG]

3. comrade

comrade Distinguished Member

I read somewhere that Aaron Jules makes very high quality
    garments despite what ,IMHO, is a terrible website.

4. comrade

comrade Distinguished Member

I must be one of the lucky ones. I have some MTM suits/sportcoats which
    were made for me 25-30 years ago. I weigh about 5-7 lbs more now. They
    still fit in the chest and shoulders, but not across the middle. When these
    suits were purchased I jogged 20-30 miles a week. I can no longer jog owing to injuries incurred jogging. Age and gravity takes it's toll.

5. smittycl

I know it! Life takes its toll.

6. smittycl

Interesting reads. Sounds like quite the unreliable tailor. Interesting to note how long some folks have been on Styleforum! Is there a recognized first member that's still on besides @LA Guy ?

7. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur

you mean this guy?
    [​IMG]

8. zalb916

zalb916 Distinguished Member

I'll probably regret reviving this thread. Nonetheless, I was reading the article on Roger Stone in the latest issue of the the New Yorker and noticed he discusses his suits. They were originally made with a 14" drop.

“I haven’t bought a new suit in twenty years, because, first of all, when you have custom-made suits—which I originally had to do because I had forty-six-inch shoulders and a thirty-two-inch waist; I don’t have the thirty-two-inch waist anymore, but I did—that means you can’t buy anything off the rack, because when it’s altered the pockets would be next to each other in the back of the trousers. But, more importantly,” he said, tailors “put a lot of fabric in the seams, so as you get older and fatter, the clothing can be let out. So if you take care of the garment and it’s well made to begin with, it should last you a lifetime.”
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/02/18/roger-stones-and-jerome-corsis-time-in-the-barrel

I left out the part where he critiques Manafort's suits, because they don't fit.

9. jefferyd

jefferyd Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

The drop is calculated by subtracting the waist from the chest, not from the shoulders. 46" shoulders would be standard to a size 40 chest, making that an 8" drop, not 14".

Not sure if it was mentioned but I had read somewhere that he was a customer at A&S, at least at one point, and I can think of at least one A&S cutter whose MO was to cut everything big and then work it down in the fittings.

10. zalb916

Thanks for the correction! Not sure how I made that mistake. I blame Stone!

Although a drop-8 is relatively normal, so now I wonder if he was confused about his measurements. Looking at pictures from when he was body building, it seems like he maybe did have a 46 inch chest at some point.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019

11. Ezio

Ezio Senior Member

Roger Stone is a joke, and the only that's a bigger joke than him is his style.

12. jonathanS

jonathanS Distinguished Member

I mean, if you look at photos of Stone, its pretty clear he never had a 46" chest / 32" waist.

13. zalb916

Not exactly. I said I would regret this. Roger Stone was into bodybuilding about 20+ years ago. He developed quite a large chest with a relatively small waist. Again, my regrets for actually posting this, but here goes:

6ACF99B4-1814-4817-9C1F-FE402B7C156F.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019

14. jefferyd

jefferyd Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

8" drop is only "relatively normal" because of the amount of vanity sizing built into trousers these days, which ranges from 1" to 2 1/2".

That photo (which cannot be unseen...) doesn't look like much more than an 8" drop- a lat spread makes the chest look much wider than it actually is.

15. zalb916

I appreciate @jefferyd providing an actual informed take on this.

I don't have anything real to add other than the quote from the New Yorker article and a super creepy pic of Roger Stone from an old swingers magazine. I'll let the experts talk.