• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TKCSA

Reaction score
Interesting reading the comment about custom made orthotics as I have the same issue. I have 2 pairs of boots from years ago, and then had to have orthotics made after messing up my arches running marathons.

I am pleasantly surprised that ( simply ) removing the insert in the Dynamic Flex Craftsman leaves enough room for the orthotic yet preserves the fit of the boot over the foot, so I will try this when next able to go to an RMW shop.

How bad/compromised was it trying to juggle going up 1/2 or 1 size and tweaking the width selection?

Many apologies for the lengthy delay in response to this (it's been a while since I frequented), but just in case this is still relevant...

Significantly, in comparison. If you wear orthotics, go with the Dynamic Flex and remove the insole, the 'bigger Craftsman' option just isn't worth it.

As well, apparently as part of the MTO process, they can also tailor an insole to the exact shape of your orthotics if you so wish (e.g. if you want leather screwed soles). However I'm not sure how practical an option that is for those of us who don't live in Adelaide and don't want to ship expensive orthotics halfway around the world (or across the country).

Last edited:

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any feedback on sending back to RMW for resoling or do they not do that?
They do this, but I haven't had any direct experience doing it. There was a rumour RMW were doing away with authorised repairers in Oz and asking that boots be sent back to the factory for re-crafting. Presumably they received a few complaints about some 'authorised' RMW bootmakers and decided to move it all in house.

NewSydney

Reaction score
Quote:
Apologies for delay, took around 3-4 weeks and the result is great. Will PM you a few pics and highly recommend Nungar.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many apologies for the lengthy delay in response to this (it's been a while since I frequented), but just in case this is still relevant...

Significantly, in comparison. If you wear orthotics, go with the Dynamic Flex and remove the insole, the 'bigger Craftsman' option just isn't worth it.

As well, apparently as part of the MTO process, they can also tailor an insole to the exact shape of your orthotics if you so wish (e.g. if you want leather screwed soles). However I'm not sure how practical an option that is for those of us who don't live in Adelaide and don't want to ship expensive orthotics halfway around the world (or across the country).

For my standard craftsman boots, I sized up a width and used the green superfeet insoles. It's worked very well for several years.

TKCSA

Reaction score
For my standard craftsman boots, I sized up a width and used the green superfeet insoles. It's worked very well for several years.
For those interested, I should clarify this again (said it many pages ago, but it bears repeating): I should add that I am talking about orthotics made by a podiatrist, specifically for your own foot. By their nature and construction, these tend to be thicker than the generic ones that many people add to their shoes, so in many cases my advice may not apply, especially if you use a thin orthotic.

Mine, for example, are 34mm thick at their highest point (outer edge of the instep), which as you can imagine makes it difficult to just throw them into a shoe and go.

For particularly thin orthotics or off the shelf insoles, the 'bigger Craftsman' route may indeed work. My advice is to go in store with your orthotics in hand and physically try both methods. If the comfort is roughly the same, the standard Craftsman is a more attractive shoe (IMHO, I like leather soles). In my case, the only way I could get both a comfortable height and appropriate length was to go with the DFC (due to the higher uppers and removable insole).

However I keep belaboring this point, because in every single RMW store I visited (four) except the original factory store, the salespeople's advice was always the 'bigger Craftsman' route, which I suspect will be the case for most people. The second I went into the parent store, I was immediately told that was the wrong advice and to try the DFC - the comfort difference was massive.

jksgoh55

Reaction score
Just picked up this pair of signatures

jksgoh55

Reaction score
The heater has fortunately been unplugged and scheduled for storage!
BTW, for anyone who is interested, these are in chestnut. The dark tan versions appeared very similar (slightly less dark) but quite a bit darker than dark tan on yearling.

LordPave

Reaction score
The heater has fortunately been unplugged and scheduled for storage!
BTW, for anyone who is interested, these are in chestnut. The dark tan versions appeared very similar (slightly less dark) but quite a bit darker than dark tan on yearling.

They are really nice.

How long did it take for them to arrive?

I've just ordered a pair of Craftsman Kangaroo in Chestnut, but they're MTO as I sized it at 12.5H. I tried a 12H on in an RM Williams store in Melbourne/Chadstone (Australia) and found it a touch too firm (but not tight) - the staff there suggested I go MTO with half a size larger, so that the boot doesn't experience too much damage over the life of the shoe. This was with my orthotic device inserted.

This is more or less a test shoe for me to use, if I like it then I'll organise with the factory for a customised version against the orthotic as I go across to Adelaide regularly.

This is my first foray into proper boots - I'm used to using boots/shoes from Rockport, as they've historically best catered for my orthotics. However, since Adidas acquired Reebok, I feel that quality has gradually dropped off. Searching around and chatting with various Cobblers and Cordwainers has yielded that RM Williams is probably best for me, short of going bespoke shoes (which I fully intend to do when my finances allow for it).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads