• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jykaes

Reaction score
I can't speak to the Rochester shoe tree but I picked up Trimly chelsea boot trees for 15% off recently and they're very good, seem really sturdy and fit RM's really well.

I find it strange RMW doesn't sell trees any more and I suspect the reason they stopped selling what they had is because they never explained or advertised them as a useful accessory. But they hugely improve the shape of the boot long term, and when I went in store the $1000 Signature Craftsman pairs on display both had shoe trees in them so they obviously do know this.

Skirulz

Reaction score
will the shoe tree stretch the boot out in anyway or the shoe will confirm to the shape of the shoe tree?

Jykaes

Reaction score
will the shoe tree stretch the boot out in anyway or the shoe will confirm to the shape of the shoe tree?

Yes but not in the way you're thinking. What happens without a shoe tree is you wear the boot/shoe for a day, the leather gets hot and takes in some moisture from your foot. This is why you're not meant to wear the same pair two days in a row, you need to give them time to dry. Over the next day or so the boot then dries back out, but if there is no foot or tree inside the boot what happens it it deforms/curls over time as it does this over and over. If you've ever accidentally put a leather wallet through the wash, you'll know what I'm talking about. This is like a slow motion version of that.

The purpose of the tree, aside from absorbing some of that moisture (Which is why good trees are wood like cedar) is to apply pressure from the heel area to the toecap area and prevent the boot from deforming like that. This in turn also helps reduce (But not stop) the effects of creasing. The tree doesn't actually push "out" the leather in a way that it would be shaped like the tree. The leather will still conform to your foot over time.

TL;DR: Trees are good, put them in your boots. RMW *does* recommend them in some places on their site and care pamphlets or at least did before last week's redesign, and as I mentioned actually puts them in the Signature Craftsmans when they're on display shelves. But the staff sometimes erroneously claim RM's don't need them because the boots will shape themselves to your foot. That's only half accurate. The boots won't be destroyed without them and will still be perfectly wearable, they just won't look as good.

See the below for what I mean. Note that the wood is not pushing outwards on the vamp. Also, I'm not a Trimly shill, I just happen to like the ones I bought from them. Other options are available etc.

BootTreeBoot-Profile-Trimly_3_1024x1024.png

Last edited:

EdoubleD

Reaction score
Were these the RM WIlliams Lachlan boots with the leather insole? they look exactly like the craftsman but with Vesta leather and leather insoles but same sole as the Gardner.
Quite possibly, they were great boots, stupidly sold them!

EdoubleD

Reaction score
I ha
They may need shoe/boot trees.
RMW was selling Rochester rebranded shoe trees which are easier to pull out with leather straps.
I a couple of pairs a of tree somewhere, can’t remember what brad they are, nothing to special.

Any links to good trees for rms? Uk based

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just use rochester made Alden ones for my RMs. Should I invest in some proper boot trees instead?

Jykaes

Reaction score
I just use rochester made Alden ones for my RMs. Should I invest in some proper boot trees instead?

I'd say no, I got the boot ones because I only own boots and I didn't have trees already. If you already have trees then the boot ones are unlikely to be worth repurchasing for the small benefit of ankle support.

How does the leather insole feel? Uncomfortable?

Fine, typical of any leather soled shoe. Comfort Craftsman are very noticeably more comfy though, kind of half way between leather dress shoe and a really good sneaker.

Ma Lau

Reaction score
Where do you get the Rochester shoe tree in Sydney? i need to get 6 pairs for my collection.
I had that problem too, they are made in US and ship US/Canada only, although I have seen them on Amazon.com but as usual the cost including shipping make the purchase not worthwhile.
There may be other rebranded versions of this Western Boot Tree model https://www.onecedarlane.com/

The Rochester Western Boot Tree sold by RMW have a higher protrusion on the top of the foot, it keeps the forepart shape of the boot well.
Rochester WBTree.jpg

Woodlore makes a similar adjustable version but the front doesn't seems as high.

I searched for the Rochester simply because it's supplied with the Signature Craftsman, there may be a reason RMW chose this model but also there may be better ones to be found.

Last edited:

EdoubleD

Reaction score
How does the leather insole feel? Uncomfortable?

Not to bad, but not as comfy as the comfort models.

In my experience for comfort (6hours wearing boots)

Comfort craftsman > Blaxland > craftsman

EdoubleD

Reaction score

Good buy for £30? They do normal trees for around £15

Jykaes

Reaction score
Comfort craftsman > Blaxland > craftsman

Could you elaborate on this? When you say Blaxland is better comfort than Craftsman, is that the Classic Craftsman you're referring to?

Reason I ask is back before the Comfort Craftsman released, RMW sold two variants of Craftsman; a leather outsoled and a rubber outsoled, both had the same leather insole.

I was under the impression that they rebranded the full leather as the Classic Craftsman and the leather/rubber as the Blaxland, and introduced the Comfort Craftsman with the comfort inner/rubber as a new model.

EDIT: Ah, the new site doesn't refer to it as the Classic Craftsman any more, it's now back to just the Craftsman. Fairo! I'll leave this post up anyway.

EdoubleD

Reaction score
Could you elaborate on this? When you say Blaxland is better comfort than Craftsman, is that the Classic Craftsman you're referring to?

Reason I ask is back before the Comfort Craftsman released, RMW sold two variants of Craftsman; a leather outsoled and a rubber outsoled, both had the same leather insole.

I was under the impression that they rebranded the full leather as the Classic Craftsman and the leather/rubber as the Blaxland, and introduced the Comfort Craftsman with the comfort inner/rubber as a new model.

EDIT: Ah, the new site doesn't refer to it as the Classic Craftsman any more, it's now back to just the Craftsman. Fairo! I'll leave this post up anyway.

Yep your right, I mean the Blaxland is the crasfman with the rubber sole and leather in sole.

I find it a more comfortable then the “classic” craftsman with the leather sole/leather in sole

Ma Lau

Reaction score
The Chelsea, Chukka boot tree looks very good aesthetically but not practical in usage. Many people have reported it ruins the elastic very quickly, difficult to explain but just imagine shoving that lump of a heal into the boot.

The reason I'm still looking for the Rochester Boot tree (extra pairs), the model which RMW includes with their Signature Craftsman.

Tall heel boot tree.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads