• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If changing to the dyna flex means wearing the wrong size I wouldn't do it.

The dyna flex isn't a great sole as the stitching splits around the midsole.

dan1255

Reaction score
If changing to the dyna flex means wearing the wrong size I wouldn't do it.

The dyna flex isn't a great sole as the stitching splits around the midsole.

+1 on this.

I have tried pretty much every sole option on the Craftsmen boots & have almost always come back to the composite rubber sole for casual wear & the leather option for the office. The leather will wear quicker than the dynamic flex will, but I did have separation at the toes on the DF option which is enough for me to stay away.
In the DF sole, they insert a very thin layer of material for the 'comfort' factor between the lower and upper sole materials & this is bonded with glues. Over time with the movement of the foot, it seems that the glue losses its bond & gives the appearance of 'separating'. I say appearance as keep in mind that the entire construction is stitched right through, so there's no actual chance of it coming apart.
This occurred on one pair of DF & didn't on my other which were both bought at the same time.
So, I guess it comes down to whether you prefer the look of the DF sole over the others & are OK with the slim chance that this will happen.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I had to send my boots to get resoled to Jim's Shoe Repair - 50 East 59th St. - 212=355=8259 - in NYC since there's no RM Williams around. I guess they have been and will be resoling their shoes for a until another store opens up...

milw50717

Reaction score

FWIW, I had to send my boots to get resoled to Jim's Shoe Repair - 50 East 59th St. - 212=355=8259 - in NYC since there's no RM Williams around. I guess they have been and will be resoling their shoes for a until another store opens up...

Did RMW indicate that you should take them there ?

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mid-brown suede Kingsvales.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did RMW indicate that you should take them there ?

Yeah, I emailed them and they directed me to Jim's. Same price but the nice thing is a much quicker turn around since they're in NYC. (As long as they do a good job...)

Last edited:

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

I own a pair of Macquarie boots, i size 9½ F, and they fit like a glove. Now im thinking of ordering a pair of dynamic flex comfort craftman, but i saw they are not made in F fitting. Would a regular G fit me? or should i order a parit of regular craftman in F?

Tru bootonline and they may get you a custom order. I`m a 9 1/2 F too - great fit, the G`s will be too wide and stubby

Last edited:

KPO89

Reaction score
I'm comfortably situation between a US 11D and 11.5D...have the opportunity to pick up some 10.5F in the yearling. Any thoughts on whether the width will be too snug for me? I don't have a wide foot but its not narrow. Thank you in advance.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi guys, what's the best place to buy? Someone suggested http://www.bootsonline.com.au/ a few pages back, but I found these guys to be cheaper, http://www.nungar.com.au/catalog/index.php/cPath/48_49

Any other suggestings? I'm looking to get Comfort Craftsman Yearling in black and chestnut. Would anyone suggest a different one? Kangaroo maybe?

The comfort craftsman is a pretty safe bet if you're starting out.

If you're near a DFO outlet check them out too - sometimes you can get factory seconds with a scratch or two going half price.

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I emailed them and they directed me to Jim's. Same price but the nice thing is a much quicker turn around since they're in NYC. (As long as they do a good job...)

I believe Jim's is right next to the old RMW NYC store.

davidle24

Reaction score
The comfort craftsman is a pretty safe bet if you're starting out.

If you're near a DFO outlet check them out too - sometimes you can get factory seconds with a scratch or two going half price.
Yeah I went to DFO down here in Essendon, Melb. They were going for $275, but the one that fit me had a nick on it at the front, where the toes are. And the leather was peeling. I contemplated it, even asked for a lower price, but they didn't budge. I think I will stick to the site I initially posted. They will be MTO, I can save $100 and wait a few weeks.

Thank you for your reply.

LordPave

Reaction score
I've just ordered a pair of Craftsman Kangaroo in Chestnut, but they're MTO as I sized it at 12.5H. I tried a 12H on in an RM Williams store in Melbourne/Chadstone (Australia) and found it a touch too firm (but not tight) - the staff there suggested I go MTO with half a size larger, so that the boot doesn't experience too much damage over the life of the shoe. This was with my orthotic device inserted.

Quoting my own post for a reason.

My shoes arrived! As noted above, RM Williams Kangaroo Craftsman in Chestnut at 12.5H. Its a touch too long (by quarter of a size), but its like putting on a glove, but for my feet. Million times more comfortable than my Rockport boots.

This is after I've applied the leather care and just wiped it clean.

If the slight size difference becomes an issue, I'm in Adelaide in a few weeks time so I'll drop into the main store there and ask them to have a look and see what we can do. May just be able to get it altered ever so slightly and go from there.

I'm going to order another pair in black once I've bedded them in.

Mikeee

Reaction score
Own a navy and a charcoal suit.

I would like to get a Williams boot possibly in brown?

Can anyone make a suggestion which model and colour?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads