1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. amce

amce Senior member

I was wearing the French veal Macquaries today.., and it was almost distracting me that they made my feet look smaller. Funny.. I never thought that with the normal Macquaries

Nice pics, Tez. Love those screwed sole Macquaries. A pair of those have just been placed at the top of my wish list.

About the smallness. I had the same experience with my MTO French veal Craftsman with the screwed sole. Even though they are the same size (9.5H) as my Comfort C's, they feel much more snug.

My welted Macquaries and my non-Comfort sole Blaxlands are both 9.5G and they fit perfectly as do all my CC's that are, as I said, 9.5H.

Cheers

2. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

to those with both Comfort Craftsman/Turnout/MTO/whatever and also another non comfort version, can you comment on exactly how much more comfortable the Comfort versions are?

will it be something I miss dearly when my second boot arrives and it's not a Comfort version?

3. Tez Mulan

Tez Mulan Senior member

did you used to have another pair of Macqueries? I think I remember this from another post of yours

wow - yes, first pair I owned

in the back of the cupboard.... :)

4. arossphoto

arossphoto Active Member

to those with both Comfort Craftsman/Turnout/MTO/whatever and also another non comfort version, can you comment on exactly how much more comfortable the Comfort versions are?

will it be something I miss dearly when my second boot arrives and it's not a Comfort version?

I have a pair of Gardeners with leather insoles and a pair of Comfort Turnouts, and I can definitely feel the difference. I prefer the Comforts, but it's difficult to quantify how much more comfortable they are and your experience may be different. I posted a question earlier today about the new "dynamic flex comfort" soles that Dingo mentioned, because I honestly don't find either of my RM's very comfortable and they're not my first choice in foot wear if I need to be on my feet all day.

5. Tez Mulan

Tez Mulan Senior member

Thanks! and try to use the same left / left shoe for comparison.. I don't know if it's just me but the black stockman seems to have a lot more texture / detail, but that may just be since your black stockmans aren't brand new. Starting to wonder if I prefer the welted sole if only for the illusion that it makes the shoe appear longer.
    If your Buckle Boots are going to be for casual/semi-formal, I would say welted would look OK If I had a clean sheet of paper now... - make the 3 dress boots, all Macquarie * screwed sole, at size 8 - make the 2 Buckle both with welted sole, at size 7.5 * does anyone know if the Macquarie comes in claret.., cant say I've ever seen a pic of that config!? What about a Macquarie in claret with French veal leather??

6. makewayhomer

* does anyone know if the Macquarie comes in claret.., cant say I've ever seen a pic of that config!? What about a Macquarie in claret with French veal leather??
    I'm pretty sure the limitation is with leather, not style. IE, I was told I could not get Roo in Claret, but could get Yearling in Claret. I don't know exactly which colors can be paired with which leathers...and the full color chart is a big one!

7. DECEMBER

DECEMBER Senior member

If your Buckle Boots are going to be for casual/semi-formal, I would say welted would look OK If I had a clean sheet of paper now... - make the 3 dress boots, all Macquarie * screwed sole, at size 8 - make the 2 Buckle both with welted sole, at size 7.5 * does anyone know if the Macquarie comes in claret.., cant say I've ever seen a pic of that config!? What about a Macquarie in claret with French veal leather??
    I just realized that in a previous post you stated some of your shoes (stockmans) are storm-welted. Hard to tell from the picture. If you could start over you would make your Buckle boots both good-year welt or storm welt? -Also, what size are your macs and buckle boots? I plan on wearing the stockmans for casual. Originally I decided I didn't need a black stockman, though now I might-- depending on how the chestnut brass-screwed stockman I have on order turns out.

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

Harold Brumby

Big diff in colour from the first pic (from denewear website) to how mine look

I thought they were either the Catling or the Gardener from Ian Harolds in Melbourne.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. riebs

riebs New Member

Do they make hiking boots?

10. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I thought they were either the Catling or the Gardener from Ian Harolds in Melbourne.

Harolds are not up to RMW/Baxter Boots standards IMO.

11. DECEMBER

DECEMBER Senior member

Woooo! my buckle boots are on their way! It's ony been 4-5 weeks.

12. Xyst

Xyst Active Member

Finally got a chance to go try on the Queenslander at the NYC store this morning. Hurrah! They actually fit my freakishly wide feet. So as planned, I'm put in a MTO order for a pair of Whiskey Comfort Queenslander (insole + rubber outer-sole). Awesome, in 8 weeks my feet are going to be so happy!

13. Tez Mulan

Tez Mulan Senior member

Black Stockman & Chestnut Stockman side by side
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Tez Mulan

Tez Mulan Senior member

More comparisons between Stockman. Last two pics showing close-ups on the roo leather
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Tez Mulan

Tez Mulan Senior member

I just realized that in a previous post you stated some of your shoes (stockmans) are storm-welted. Hard to tell from the picture. If you could start over you would make your Buckle boots both good-year welt or storm welt? -Also, what size are your macs and buckle boots? I plan on wearing the stockmans for casual. Originally I decided I didn't need a black stockman, though now I might-- depending on how the chestnut brass-screwed stockman I have on order turns out.
    Not sure whether good-year or storm. Can I say 'normal leather' ? On sizing - I take 7.5........but having worn the (brass screwed sole) French Veal Macquarie for the past two days, this really did need to be + .5 a size bigger.., as do my claret Craftsman; the Craftsman again with the same sole. I think both the 'normal sole' and 'brass screwed sole' look OK on the Stockman

16. Tez Mulan

Tez Mulan Senior member

something I just noticed.., there's a height differential between the normal leather sole and the brass screwed sole.

At 5'8", I think I'll switch back to normal mode in the future [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Tez Mulan

Tez Mulan Senior member

looks like you are a 7.5 G. if you want to sell those Clarets lemme know [​IMG]

women are really the voice of reason. Apparently I complained twice last night about the fit of the new ones... "why dont you sell them and get some bigger ones?"

[​IMG]

18. makewayhomer

women are really the voice of reason. Apparently I complained twice last night about the fit of the new ones... "why dont you sell them and get some bigger ones?" [​IMG]
    heh, well, I may be here to listen! are they too short or too narrow?

19. Tez Mulan

Tez Mulan Senior member

heh, well, I may be here to listen! are they too short or too narrow?

Hi, neither. As I was walking in the new Macs yesterday (just on the left boot mind) I felt it pinching (in) along the top of the foot. I imagined when I took my boots and socks off I'd have a red indent along the width of my foot in the middle are. I didnt though!

Been wearing the Chestnut Craftsman today, and no problems.

Lesson learnt: if you're going to buy the brass screwed sole variant, go up half a size from 7.5 to 8.0. I believe that this lengthens the boot - wheareas say you were a 7.0, if you went up half a size, you would only increase the width (I think)

I now know why there's so much debate here on sizing.

20. makewayhomer

Lesson learnt: if you're going to buy the brass screwed sole variant, go up half a size from 7.5 to 8.0. I believe that this lengthens the boot - wheareas say you were a 7.0, if you went up half a size, you would only increase the width (I think)
    this somewhat jives with the sizing guide on the first page. for the forum special w/ screwed sole, the recommendation is actually up a whole size (and down on width). but I think that is on a different last than your claret of course, there is debate here whether or not a half size is any longer than a half size down, or just wider. (ie is a 7.5 really longer than a 7?). I'm not sure if what was every resolved