RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Nice stuff, W. Who is responsible for boot care in your family? Watching the Grand Final live on TV here in Sweden. Pies didn't make it. Go Cats!

Cheers

That would be me. I need to polish them both come to that.

The Cats won...I was going for the Saints [​IMG]

2. Beast Mode

Beast Mode Active Member

Should I pick up some RM William Saddle Dressing for my new boot or Lexol leather conditioner?

3. ferguscan

ferguscan Senior member

Should I pick up some RM William Saddle Dressing for my new boot or Lexol leather conditioner?

I use Lexol. Works well. I haven't used the RMW product.

Stuart

4. sammy

sammy Senior member

Anyone used Chelsea Leather Food?

5. amce

amce Senior member

I use RM's Leather Conditioner. Available in 100ml tubes and 500ml jars. According to the label it is a neutral product and contains beeswax and lanolin. Smells pretty good to.

Cheers

6. @matthew

@matthew New Member

I am thinking of buying the Comfort Craftsman. I went in to an RM Williams store and got fitted, they felt great on my feet. However I have a few questions. How do you think these would be on a 6 week Europe (winter) trip acting as my main shoes? As I need something comfortable and also that looks good. Also would these be good for walking all day?

This has probably been answered in this thread somewhere, however I don't have the time to read 150 pages. What colour, the chestnut or black? I'd be wearing them mostly with jeans and (if they look OK) suits.

Thanks for your help.

7. ferguscan

ferguscan Senior member

I am thinking of buying the Comfort Craftsman. I went in to an RM Williams store and got fitted, they felt great on my feet. However I have a few questions. How do you think these would be on a 6 week Europe (winter) trip acting as my main shoes? As I need something comfortable and also that looks good. Also would these be good for walking all day?

This has probably been answered in this thread somewhere, however I don't have the time to read 150 pages. What colour, the chestnut or black? I'd be wearing them mostly with jeans and (if they look OK) suits.

Thanks for your help.

As long as the boot fits OK, they will be comfortable for walking in all day. Be warned, however, the CC is tighter in the toe box than the regular craftsman. Mine simply don't fit that well (had to go up one width). My regular Craftsman fit like a dream. I will be getting the Blaxland for my next wet weather boot.

As for colour, the same rules apply as for shoes: black for city (professional; formal); brown for country (casual). Definitely brown for jeans. I have boots in the chestnut yearling, and it's very attractive and sturdy.

Stuart

8. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

As for colour, the same rules apply as for shoes: black for city (professional; formal); brown for country (casual). Definitely brown for jeans. I have boots in the chestnut yearling, and it's very attractive and sturdy.

Stuart

I think that rule is now more honoured in the breach.
    Out of 21 pairs of shoes, I only have four pairs which are black, and I hardly ever wear them. Brown shoes or boots can be worn with virtually everything except a dinner suit.

9. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

I've read this in a few places here, but I've asked the RW Williams store in NYC, and 2 online resellers in AU and all 3 told me to order the same width in CC as in regular crasftman. so now I'm confused.

10. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

I've read this in a few places here, but I've asked the RW Williams store in NYC, and 2 online resellers in AU and all 3 told me to order the same width in CC as in regular crasftman. so now I'm confused.

I only have two pairs of the regular craftsman, but if you can imagine taking a shoe and adding a cushioned insole to it, wouldn't you expect that it would be a bit tighter in the toe box? I doubt seriously that RM Williams takes that into account and builds the shoe a little larger so that when the cushioned insole is added, you have the same room as a regular Craftsman.

11. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

I only have two pairs of the regular craftsman, but if you can imagine taking a shoe and adding a cushioned insole to it, wouldn't you expect that it would be a bit tighter in the toe box? I doubt seriously that RM Williams takes that into account and builds the shoe a little larger so that when the cushioned insole is added, you have the same room as a regular Craftsman.

well, that's exactly what I was told by all 3 - they keep this in mind, so my width should not change. who knows though.

12. sammy

sammy Senior member

Just ordered the Blaxlands in Chestnut from Nungar. [​IMG]; much cheaper the the NYC store

13. wosk

wosk Active Member

I had the same thing, only tried the blaxland and normal craftsman before. I took a shot and ordered the CC in the same size and width, it worked perfectly. I can't feel any difference at all.

14. ferguscan

ferguscan Senior member

The CC is actually bigger all 'round than the regular craftsman. It's chunky. Which is not a good thing, in my opinion.

Regardless, a CC of the same size is tighter in the toe box than the regular craftsman. The CC simply doesn't fit me very well, and the extra insole does nothing for me. YMMV.

Stuart

15. Sharpe

Sharpe Well-Known Member

So, returning my craftsman tomorrow.

I'll stick with chestnut I think. (reckon it'll give me an excuse to buy black one day anyway).

But need to decide - get a pair ordered in with rubber sole, or just replace it with another leather sole craftsman....