• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Residue on cast iron skillet after first use

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Le Creuset cast iron skillet with a grill surface (ribbed). Prior to using it yesterday the only thing that I had done with it was seasoning with a very light coating of vegetable oil and letting it sit in the oven at 350 for about an hour. I used it yesterday to "grill" some chicken breasts and after use and cleaning there is a very sticky, dull residue left where the chicken was cooked. The parts of the skillet that didn't touch the chicken have a very nice shiny black surface, but the area underneath where the chicken was cooking has this dull brown residue that can be scraped off with a fingernail, but doesn't come off with rough rubbing with an abrasive plastic sponge. It would be an enormous pain ********** to have to scrape all of this residue off, so does anyone have any clue what this could be? Any idea how to dissolve it? I don't care if it will affect the seasoning that's already taken hold, I'll gladly re-season. I appreciate your help with this.

Regards, H_S.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a nylon plastic pan scraper on my cast iron. I can imagine it would be a pain with the grill ridges, but I would just scrape it out and rinse with warm water.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
I use a nylon plastic pan scraper on my cast iron. I can imagine it would be a pain with the grill ridges, but I would just scrape it out and rinse with warm water.

+1. It's just a really small square, about the size of those used to smooth out caulking edges. I don't do it with the water though. I just scrape, rub with oil, bake.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its like flavouring for next time...

Actually, thats the reason I dont have a ridged pan, too much effort to clean the grooves. I have seen some little grooved scrapers for cleaning them though. Maybe Le Creuset does one?

K

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought for cleaning cast iron, all you were supposed to do is get the chunks off with a brush/hot water, place on sove over medium until dry, then season with vegetable oil using a paper towl. Is it supposed to be more complicated than that? Cast iron is supposed to collect old cookings for flavor.

Reaction score
pour generous amount of COARSE SALT into skillet------->rub into skillet
wipe it out
oil it up

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

spence

Reaction score
Aren't most Le Creuset pans pre-seasoned? I know my two burner grill was.

I use a wooden scraper to clean the grill side. It's a pain at times but it works. Don't use an SOS pad. A little coating isn't bad but you don't want a build up of food.

-spence

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
NO!

If this is Le Creuset with the enamel surface, I agree, no steel wool. But if the surface is cast iron, why not?

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They also make a cast iron skillit with an anodized finish so you don't have to work about preserving the seasoning.

spence

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
If this is Le Creuset with the enamel surface, I agree, no steel wool. But if the surface is cast iron, why not?

Because if you scrape the seasoning it would rust and not be as non-stick.

-spence

Andrew V.

Reaction score
You have a grill pan, not a skillet. And as far as I know, all Le Creuset grill pans are covered in enamel - colored enamel on the outside, matte black inside. I don't think that "seasoning" applies to enamel, only to plain cast iron.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're just supposed to cover it with kosher salt and wipe. I invite all residues to contribute to flavoring. As Alton Brown once said, if granny's cast iron skillet is clean, she's been sneaking in take out!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads