• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

REMOVING TROUSER PLEATS

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
OTC, Good work and a great demonstration.

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There were some people wondering a while back what my experience was like getting pleats taken out of a pair of trousers at Stanton Street Tailors in NYC. Their work was flawless -- highly recommended. I paid $40 or $45 for it, but this was several years ago, and their prices have come up slightly since then, so I'd expect to pay more than that now.

nn2016

Reaction score
Hallo
I have beautiful ladies trousers from Zara. They became a little too tight at waistband ( about an inch). The trousers are pleated. I thought it would be quite easy to just let out the pleats to add to the waistband width. And for the waist band , I can adda new one out of a printed Fabric. I have oppend the waist band on the front side already. But now it looks that the pleats were quite 'deeper` as compared to what I had guessed, thus making it about 2 inches coming out. I have now enough margin of fabric to adjust The problem is if it would affect the shape of the trousers. How should I reattach it. In short the problem is not the available margin or the fabric for waistband, but keep it in shape. Thanks in advance

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hallo
I have beautiful ladies trousers from Zara. They became a little too tight at waistband ( about an inch). The trousers are pleated. I thought it would be quite easy to just let out the pleats to add to the waistband width. And for the waist band , I can adda new one out of a printed Fabric. I have oppend the waist band on the front side already. But now it looks that the pleats were quite 'deeper` as compared to what I had guessed, thus making it about 2 inches coming out. I have now enough margin of fabric to adjust  The problem is if it would affect the shape of the trousers. How should I reattach it. In short the problem is not the available margin or the fabric for waistband, but keep it in shape. Thanks in advance

Most better trousers have an allowance of fabric at the back to be used increasing the waist measure.
If not, then the pleats can be used as you are doing.
Just because the pleats are deep does not mean that you must use all of the cloth in the pleats.
If the pleats are deep, you can use just a half inch of the cloth inside each pleat.
Then you will still have pleats.
the waistband should be cut and pieced at the center back. Not at the sides.
trouser waistbands are cut straight. When sewn on, the band must follow the line at the top of the trouser.

Last edited:

toxicchill

Reaction score
I've read through this thread and is very informative. Does anyone have any input on removing pleats from a pair of trouser with offset besom pocket? I bought an E. Zegna suit on ebay and the suit jacket fits great but the trouser is double pleated. Is it even possible to unpleat this? If not, I might just list it and try to recoup my cost. Thanks.

The pocket looks similiar to this
http://henrydavidsen.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/IMG_3294.jpg

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The cloth used for the pleats can be removed at the center front/fly of the front panels and then remake the fly.

Other option is cut the fronts on the side, cutting the pocket off. This isn't a good idea because you need more cloth to make new pockets

toxicchill

Reaction score
Wondering if its even worth it. I called a few midtown tailors and was quoted around 120-150 to do this. Can anyone recommend a nyc tailor that can do this?

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wondering if its even worth it. I called a few midtown tailors and was quoted around 120-150 to do this. Can anyone recommend a nyc tailor that can do this?

Didn't see this until months later, but if you're still looking for a tailor to do this, I've had excellent and less expensive results at Stanton Street Tailors on the LES. See my post up the page in this thread for details.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads