1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

REMOVING TROUSER PLEATS

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by a tailor, Jan 13, 2012.

1. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

I have several suits with single pleats. Less common, perhaps, but not all that hard to find.

2. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

I've had them made. Single pleated pants are pretty rare rtw, particularly a single forward pleat.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  3. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

If you dress left, consider a single pleat on the left, flat on the right.

1 person likes this.
  4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

where you at?

5. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

I just picked up a RLPL suit from my tailor that I bought from Mr. Moo. http://www.styleforum.net/t/281869/grail-rlpl-suit-made-in-england-us-40r-5k-retail

I didn't want pleated trousers, but otherwise loved the suit and took a bit of a chance. My tailor removed the pleats and also slimmed them down slightly. I couldn't be happier. I'll try get my wife to take a few photos and will post them here. My tailor does not do bespoke, but has a lot of experience with suits. He does do bespoke shirts, FWIW.

6. comrade

comrade Senior member

Dunhill Tailors in New York, of blessed memory, sold pants at least in RTW, with front
    darts. My suit from them circa 1980 had them.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/123150/lost-new-york-dunhill-tailors-and-andre-oliver

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/02/08/nyregion/norman-j-block-93-founded-dunhill-tailors.html

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-52939.html

1 person likes this.
  7. llltronlll

llltronlll Well-Known Member

How did it go? Did you take before/after pictures?

8. applky

applky Senior member

Believe it or not, I'm actually still waiting on them. I dropped the trousers off with the jacket, and my tailor said he had a six week wait for suits. Wedding season, I assume.

Suffice it to say he said he'd be able to do it easily by recutting the trousers, and charged me $40 (!!!) for it. One of the many reasons why I love the Lower East Side. (That lower price may have been because he already had me for another $100 with all the alterations to the jacket and a few other things.)

Will post pics when it's done.

9. guymac12

guymac12 Senior member

Good for you man, I think that's a good deal.

10. NewYorkBuck

NewYorkBuck Senior member

My flippant answer to this is - why in G-d's name would you want to??? :)

11. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Where did you go in the LES?

12. applky

applky Senior member

It's a great deal. Most good tailors I talked to were looking at charging $100+ just for the pleat operation. We'll see how it turns out -- obviously if you don't get bang for your buck, it's not worth paying less, but I trust the guys I use to do a good job.

I look terrible in pleated pants! I'm fairly slim and these were cut quite large. Removing the pleats was a decision about proportion, if anything.

Stanton Street Tailors -- my go to for everything. I hear excellent things about Rene, around the corner on Orchard, and also hear that he has a wait of six weeks for suits around now.

13. llltronlll

llltronlll Well-Known Member

I will be looking forward to them (the pics).

Also, I will have to try your tailor. That is very reasonable.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  14. applky

applky Senior member

^ All of the work he's done for me has been excellent, although this is the (seemingly) most complicated thing he's done. Overall I've been nothing but pleased with their work and with their prices, which are very reasonable.

15. wacuna

wacuna New Member

I got a pair of Ralph Lauren pleated pants into flat fronts for $75. Great work not even a sign that were pleated before. The taylor also made them slim...

16. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

hey gyasih
    we are still waiting to see your new flat front pants.

17. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Picked them up and shoved them in the closet. I'll try and snap a pick or two

18. saiyar1

saiyar1 Senior member

Hey,

For you NYC guys, I had success with converting my blue label PRL suit pants to flat front. Believe it or not, I use the tailor at Burlington Coat Factory (23rd) for all my tailoring. He's done fantastic work for me. The latest thing (and most advanced) was the pleats this time. It cost $75 and looks like my PRL pants that came flat front originally. Perfect work.

I bought several staple PRL suits online used but in pristine condition for $150-$250. So the extra $75 to make them flat front was WELL worth it.

19. thegreatgatsby

thegreatgatsby Senior member

Saiyar -

What's the tailor's name at BFC?

(also - what's the cross st.?)

20. saiyar1

saiyar1 Senior member

Gatsby:
    It's on the corner of 23rd and 6th Ave. Right at the F train stop. I'm blanking on his name, but there are two guys... one is an Italian guy in his 60's and the other is a Latino guy with a moustache who's around the same ago. My guy is the latter... Chances are you run into my tailor because the Italian guy is only there one or two days a week.

So far I've gotten done:
    - waist
    - crotch
    - seat
    - pants hem
    - jacket side tapering
    - sleeve shortening
    - collar lowered
    - and finally, removal of pleats