• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Regulating a Watch

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since Timezone takes the hands-on approach to horology, I thought the SF might provide the simple, quick-and-dirty answer. I recently picked up 2 timepieces, that, interesting, both use the ETA 2892 as the base movement. The modified 2892 is running about 5s fast/day which is acceptable in my books--it was also purchased used. My "new" watch is a discontinued model, brand new, that has been sitting on the shelf for around three years. Its running b/w 15-18 sec fast/day depending if I wear it or leave it on the dresser face up. So here's my question--is the second watch worth taking to the jeweler's and getting it regulated? How much would this cost (a relatively easy procedure)? Has anyone had any experience with regulating a watch in the past? And is there really a "burn-in" period, or is that another wive's tale?

cheers,
NCT

Now, aren't you glad that you bought quartz?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, your watch needs to be broken in, particularly because it has been sitting in a case for so long.  I would wear it for 3-4 months and check on its accuracy then.  I have never had a watch regulated (my Blancpain had apparently become magnetized and was gaining 1.5 seconds/hour; I sent it to customer service in NJ), but I can't imagine that it would be terribly difficult or expensive to regulate an ETA 2892 within COSC specifications (-4/+6 seconds/day).

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are er, two ways to regulate watches: the first is via minute positioning movements while the watch is at rest, but running, and experiment by leaving the watch in different positions and see if you can adjust or balance the accuracy (a very slow method, perhaps, but can be done at home without risk of damage to the watch).

The other more complex method is to open the watches case back and regulate the watch yourself via the movement. Unless you know how to regulate a Etachron adjustment device (as found in most ETA mechanical movements) I would steer clear of trying this at home and leave it to the professionals.

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads