• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

Reaction score
hi guys.. need your opinion... i bought a 9D. tried it on with thick socks and it fits snug. a little uncomfortable around the ankles but i know there's a break in period anyway. i'm 6 ft tall, does it look too small on me? should i exchange for a 9.5

Last edited:

arkane

Reaction score
what's your normal size in other shoes? just buy the 9.5D and try it on.. keep the one that fits best.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there no one here who just wears these true to size? They're ******* boots. This isn't like sizing down jeans.

mcdecker1

Reaction score

Is there no one here who just wears these true to size? They're ******* boots. This isn't like sizing down jeans.

I wear a 10.5 in IR and a 10 in most Aldens.... so TTS i guess

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nothing wrong with wanting your boots to fit, especially if you are going to wear them all day several days a week, like many of us do. And there is no doubt that these boots are weirdly lasted. I have owned many boots over the years, nearly always in a 10D, and these Iron Rangers are the hardest to get to fit right of any I've tried.

Right now I have around an old pair of Chippewas and a VERY old pair of Red Wing moc toes, both in 10D. When I put my new IRs, which are 9.5EE, sole to sole with either of these boots the IRs are about the same length (so .5 longer than TTS) but are a quarter to a half inch more narrow -- and these are double wide EEs!

It's a shame, because they are great boots in many ways (though totally lacking in support), but just really hard to get a good fit in.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will trade my 10.5Ds for your 10Ds!!!! Only tried mine on... Someone please be a good person hhaahha

StraightDope

Reaction score
Im sure this question has already been asked a thousand times but how are you supposed to go about conditioning the muleskinner leather?

ubiquitous

Reaction score

Im sure this question has already been asked a thousand times but how are you supposed to go about conditioning the muleskinner leather?

I just bought some of that Red Wing "leather protection" spray and sprayed it before my first wear to do a bit of extra waterproofing. I believe a lot of people do nothing and they're still fine. Some go the dubbing route, but that darkens hawthorne a lot. Hope that helps a bit

Islander

Reaction score
My first post on this forum was a question about these boots when they were brand new. Years later they have been relegated to my rain/slush/shovel-the-driveway boots, but I still love 'em.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I treated them with a light layer of Obenauf's LP when I got mine. Didn't really darken them too much, there's pics in one of the red wing or obenauf threads of a pair before and after a treatment of obenauf's.

That was me. I posted pictures a few pages back.

Also, ended up deciding to sell them.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/305328/red-wing-x-j-crew-iron-ranger-in-dark-chocolate-roughout-size-9-5

If you don't want to do Obenauf's LP, you can also try RW boot oil. I'm not sure what oiled roughout will look like in comparison to waxed roughout, but I'm curious.

StraightDope

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the tip, I decided to go with the 8115 copper color just because it seems like the rough out can be a handful. I've treated the 8115's with obenaufs oil and HD LP, I'll post some pics soon. They are pretty stiff at first compared to my wolverine 1k's but I like breaking them in to my liking so I don't mind it. I went a full size down from my sneaker size as I did with my Clarks DB's and 1K's and they fit perfect. The leather quality is great too. I still have a bit of breaking in to do but so far I love the boots

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads