1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Garage/Surf Rock, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

Hahaha you stomped the shape out of your own boots? That's the craziest thing I've ever heard.

2. DesmondD

DesmondD Well-Known Member

Yeah maybe a thin(ish) piece of wood would work. Basically the doubled leather in the toecap made them naturally pop back into shape but after 40-50 stomps, the middle of the toebox started to crease a little and stopped popping back up as much as the other parts and the rest flattened out.

3. heavyhoody

heavyhoody Active Member

That
    Yeah maybe a thin(ish) piece of wood would work. Basically the doubled leather in the toecap made them naturally pop back into shape but after 40-50 stomps, the middle of the toebox started to crease a little and stopped popping back up as much as the other parts and the rest flattened out.
    [/quThat's some balls Desmond. Pretty cool though. I respect the "whatever it takes". Good for you.

4. Texas78

Texas78 New Member

(I was looking online for someone with a similar experience and found your post. Not the same situation, but I thought I would share my story in case it helps anyone out...)

After years of waiting I finally was able to get a pair of IR 8111s. I was reading online about ways to break them in, and somebody suggested getting them really wet, and then wearing them until they dried out.

So, with this in mind I decided to go hiking along a local creek, get them wet, and accelerate the process. It was warm, and I decided to do some swimming with the boots on. DO NOT DO THIS. The cork part on one of the boots, right underneath the leather sole (near the arch) basically cracked length-wise. The stitching inside the boot also seems to have loosened - I guess this was due to the swelling of the leather.I believe they are still wearable and will be okay as I continue to break them in, but I will probably need to get them repaired over time.

Also, if I were to do things over, I WOULD NOT PURCHASE THESE BOOTS FROM EBAY OR SIMILAR UNAUTHORIZED DEALER. As many have said, the sizing on these boots is wacky. I bought a pair from Ebay, and after several weeks decided they were too big. Since I couldn't return them, I had to sell on Ebay. I then bought a half-size smaller, and had the water issue. Had purchased them from a local dealer I could have returned them because I do think it is ultimately a quality issue. Also, I think I could go another half-size smaller - but am going to wait until I have more time to break them in. If these don't work, I am going to spend the money, pay full price, and get them from a local RW store.

5. Stenno

Stenno New Member

Hi all,

Just after some sizing advice. I'm looking at getting a pair of Amber Harness Iron Rangers but have to order online without trying on due to no local retailer nearby, I'm in Australia. I was planning on ordering through the authorised Australian distributer who have a store several thousand km's away from me which I won't be visiting any time soon.
    My current (US) shoe sizes in a few different shoe types are:

11-Brooks runners
    11-Nike Air Force 1 Lo
    10-Converse Chucks Lo
    10 1/2 or 10-Steel Blue work boots
    11-Allen Edmonds Fifth Avenue (these do feel about 1/2 size too big)

Would a 10 or 9 1/2 be recomended based off these other sizes?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  6. Texas78

Texas78 New Member

As you know, the sizing on these things is odd. I have tried three different sizes - 10.5, 10, and 9.5 and still don't know what the best size is. My Chucks are always a size 10. In the Iron Ranger, the 10.5 is way too big, the 10 feels a little big, but the 9.5 feel a little small. Ideally, you should order both the 10 and the 9.5 and see which one feels best. As I write this, I am wearing the size 10, with Dr. Scholl's Heel Cups and they seem alright. All things considered, I would go with the size 10, and use some kind of insert if they feel too big.

7. Stenno

Stenno New Member

Thanks Texas.

8. Erkle

Erkle Senior member

i hate to be contradicting but i wear a 10 in chucks, vans, new balance and nike and found that i had to go a full size down on my red wings. i own both the chukka and the iron ranger. they were a tad tight at first but i wanted them tight so when they broke in and stretched, they would be an ideal fit. i wear them daily with an athletic sock. however, i still am able to wear them with a thick wool boot sock comfortably.

9. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Like folks have said, the sizing is odd -- long(ish) and narrow. I would get a half size down in length from your standard size and the EE width (which unfortunately is not available in black).

10. Brooks

Brooks Senior member

I was set on buying black IRs in 2E and just realized they don't make it which is really unfortunate.

I have the 875s in a size 10 that fit perfectly except for a little room between my toe and the end of the shoe. I tried the Beckmans which use the same lasts (8) as the IRs and had to go a half size up but there was over an inch from my toes to the end of the shoe. The width and everything else fit fine but that inch of extra space up front was concerning. Should I have been concerned or not worry about it?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  11. Rmeister

Rmeister Member

I wear 9.5 Converse Chucks and 9.5D in Allen Edmonds Park Avenues that I believe are made on the same last as the Fith Avenue and I had to go down to a 8.5D on my Iron Rangers 8111 and my Red Wings 9160. I was fitted at a Red Wing store here in L.A. and was amazes at how big they run.

12. calvane

calvane Member

Hey all, I just picked up a pair of Amber Harness IR's and have some questions about care.

I've worn them once outside and pretty much had them on for two days straight around the house to break them in. This is my first pair of leather boots (and they're awesome!), so I have no idea if anything needs to be done.

First question: Am I OK wearing these right out of the box?

I also have researched a bit and figured out the Amber Harness leather is oil-based (or something), so am I going to need to use something like mink oil, Obenauf's, or Sno Seal? I was thinking of using Obenauf's LP and following the directions on Red Wing's website.

Second question: Am I right or am I missing anything else, and how often should I apply it?

Essentially I want my IR's ready for anything, but living in California I'm OK with just waterproofing them.

Thanks!

13. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

IRs a tough big boy boots. You can wear them out of the box. Apply some kind of protectant if you want. The harness leather is naturally resistant to water though.

14. TheSoonest

TheSoonest Senior member

You'll be fine out of the box. A little obenauf regularly will help prolong but I wouldn't worry too much. They're def rugged boots

15. Erkle

Erkle Senior member

i mink oiled mine right out of the box. the first coat i used a blow dryer and got the mink to suck up into the stitching and welt where the sole meets the upper. i cant see any water getting in anytime soon. over the next few weeks i applied more mink to the uppers and allowed them to sit out in the sun for a few hours before and after application. the leather is now soft enough to be super comfortable but still tough and durable to withstand anything i throw at them. i believe the mink oil aided in a quick break in. i also should mention and include a picture of some "customizing" i did.... i used some black leather dye and applied it to the soles and stitching to bring them to be a solid black vs the original two tone look. also i had the speedhooks replaced with some traditional through eyelets.
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  16. calvane

calvane Member

Whoa, cool Erkle! Thanks for the reply guys. I already ordered obenaufs leather oil, hdlp, a Kiwi brush and saddle soap. Is mink oil the same is obenaufs leather oil? I'm not exactly sure what each thing does lol

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

17. rockabillymike

rockabillymike New Member

18. rockabillymike

rockabillymike New Member

I use kiwi saddle soap and mink oil on mine plus I use RW shoe polish on regular bases.
    .boots can never be to clean and shiny :) plus I use neutral shoe polish on the upper sole seems in the winter time between mink-oiling ..... tighter than a submariners bunk -bed..lol

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  19. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Well-Known Member

Just picked up a pair of Beckmans from the Nordstrom sale and I dont know whether I should return my pair. I usually wear shoes sizes 7.5-8 and sized down to a 7. The fit seems OK but I do have heel slippage (I know this happens with new boots) from extra width in the heel area. Im thinking about putting some inserts only in the heel region.

20. ralexander

ralexander Member

Hoping to get some feedback from those wearing the Iron Rangers in size 13 or 14. I have flat, wide feet (measured between 13E-13EEE on the Allen Edmonds guide). Red Wing does not offer the Iron Ranger boots in 13 or 14 wide, and I have no local spot to try them on. I can get a pair shipped from the Canadian rep and just pay return shipping if they don't work out.

If you have wide feet and wear these boots, please share some info on your experience. I've done a ton of research, and most people report these running narrow. I'm almost ready to move on to another option, but I do love the styling of the IR. Help?