Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think to some extent he doesn't mean the direct influence parents have over their children in teaching them, or forcing them, but the indirect like parents relationships with each other, with their jobs, etc. and how they make choices and they things they do, which can help children form their beliefs

2. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Why would that sort of "indirect" influence be more egregious than "direct" influence? If the point is that a person should not be forced to do what he fears or doesn't already want to do, being directly compelled would be much more likely to cause him unhappiness, as it would most likely cause him to participate in that undesired experience.

3. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Waking on 42nd and what I can only assume was the Presidential motorcade driving crosstown. I (irrationally) fear that one day I'll be walking close to it and all hell breaks loose. There were 2 suburbans upfront filled with guys in suits and large guns. Then 2 Caddy limos with more guys in suits hovering over a backseat occupant, an armored van, ambulance, nypd. I'd hate to be around if someone attempts to attack the motorcade. BTW, why are all those limo's blue now, why not black?

4. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Racism.

At least you work midtown. I am stuck commuting down to the Financial District everyday. I hate it.

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

You are completely wrong.
    I don't necessarily agree with everything mgm is saying, but based on this post you really shouldn't be casting stones at anyone else's reading comprehension -- or their knowledge of child-rearing. You are picking fights with straw men, not with anything he's really saying. I encouraged and supported my daughter in learning to read and made a point of exposing her to written words by reading to her, etc.. But I didn't pressure or force her to learn those skills. Her own natural curiosity led her to want to learn them.

6. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Have you considered moving down to the financial district and save on rent and commute time?

7. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Currently, it pays for my social life (or seemingly lack thereof), fuel, car insurance and any expenditure related to fattened duck livers or wild game birds. I don't pay rent, but there is no reason I couldn't if I managed my expenses in a way that would allow for it, nor that my potential for growth would not enable me to at some point in time. I have only been doing this seriously for a little more than 9 months, only got business cards a few weeks ago.

Well, I would agree that wars never need to be fought. And that only appears to be a silly thought when observed through the eyes of the reality we are conditioned to live in. There is no actual rational reason a war should be fought, and while I won't dare you to come up with one, I would be surprised if you could.

True love never needs to be learned or conditioned. It is simply realized. Convincing oneself to enjoy their profession because of how many cars one can buy, or the size of the house it affords, is not love, it is a lie, and that lie will only persist as long as ignorance allows it.

I think you are making the supposition that, if left to their own devices, it is within the nature of children to be unproductive and lazy, and that without some sort of intervention, this is the childs' inevitable fate. Children do not need to be forced to do anything. They should be shown right from wrong to a certain extent, but also need the freedom to develop their own sense of awareness. Otherwise, they will never understand what it truly means to be an individual. The "terror", in this case, is on the other end of the spectrum. Overly pushy parents that place stress to succeed or conform, whether through schooling or career-paths, are simply forcing their own fear and insecurities onto their children, which will be carried throughout a lifetime if not properly recognized. Children need the same thing all of us do, which is love, and love alone.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013

8. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I would not want to live where I work. I need a change of pace. And rents in that area are also high.

9. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

:)

10. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

FiDi used to be pretty cheap for rent. Has that changed already?

11. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

Pbooth, were you on Madison ave and 38th st at 5:30 walking uptown?

12. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

I do

13. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

:bounce2:

14. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Kerry's motorcade maybe. Prez motorcade is much larger than that.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

You sound like a great (lawyer)dad.

I think it's one thing, and a great thing, to support and encourage a child to read but a completely different thing to provide a life where an able bodied man in his 20s feels such a strong safety net, such a lack of normal pressures to become self-supporting, educated, and poised for future employment growth that 99.9% feel/felt, that he can lecture us working stiffs in calm and dulcet tones how we need to realize money has no impact on our state of mind and what composes happiness vs. prison. Per this conversation I think everyone that is engaging in it would defined by M&M as "in prison."

This is not to knock M&M. I'm sure he's a good guy, I wish I could cook like him, but let's face the fact him lecturing us on the big picture in life is both worth a chuckle and cringeworthy. The fact he does it so sincerely is just extra special.

M&M, I say that with no hate and more than a little jealousy. If I were not stealing ketchup packages from McD's to eat when I was your age I might view the world far differently and have actually found myself. Instead I'm just a cynical old man that works more than he wants to.