Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

:slayer:

2. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

In all honesty, I can say pretty unequivocally I know I would not have been happy sitting in a cubicle taking phone calls for temperature-control devices 8 hours a day.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  3. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

Alright, I give up.

Back to complaining about New York.

The UN is annoying because diplomats and double-parking and traffic.

4. lefty

lefty Senior member

I agree. It's the thing that I hate most. And the coming winter season means that I will catch every cold/flu going around. In some weird cosmic karmic ironic way, I was never sick a day in SanFo (aside from my soul that is). God, it seems, has a sense of fucking humour.

lefty

5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

aka, working

6. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Would you rather do that and get paid, or continue cooking but live on the streets and not be able to afford to eat what you cook?

7. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Well, I am technically "working" when I cook dinner parties for Deny and her friends. I put in hours, she pays me. The only difference is this is something I actually want to do and enjoy doing for reasons other than monetary compensation.

8. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

The flagrant double parking is awful.

One time saw a guy just ridiculously double parked over there, blocking the whole damn street in his S class with diplomatic plates and just didn't give a damn.

Was thinking about saying something when I walked past him, but then he took off his jacket and had a pistol in a shoulder holster. I didn't say anything. It was like something out of a movie.

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Some people, believe it or not get paid very good money to do things they enjoy.

10. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I believe that. It's the ideal situation.

11. mafoofan

But is the pay from your cooking enough to support your lifestyle? If not, you really aren't "working" for what you enjoy--it is being gifted to you by someone else.

12. mafoofan

Some people also believe wars never need to be fought. It's a happy, but silly thought.

It is important to realize that one is capable of learning to love his work (often due to what said work affords him in other areas of life).

13. mafoofan

Would you push a person to the ground to save him from an oncoming car he didn't see? Doing so would necessarily require you to force him to do something he is not prepared to do.

Likewise, children need to be forced to do things all the time--and if not forced, they are often the ones to pay the price later. Spoilt, ill-adapted, selfish, weak people are often created by parents who were too terrified to "force" them to do anything they didn't want to.

14. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Enjoyed a lovely day in NYC last weekend.
    Flew through the Holland Tunnel. Parked on the street for free in the far West Village.
    Had a nice ear of corn grilled outdoors at a street fair.
    Spent sometime at a park off Bleeker strolling around the carriage with the 8-month-old. Stopped by Leffot to browse.
    Weather was so nice that I walked from the West Village to the financial district to meet up with my wife.
    The three of us ate outdoors at a small restaurant in Tribeca as the sun set across the Hudson.

The next day I had the runs from the corn handled by some dude who probably hadn't washed his hands in a few years, so yeah NYC sucks.

15. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

this is "working" in the same sense that the Jones call Karen every now and then to watch their 2 kids while they go out for parents night out.