Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. ChicagoMediaMan

ChicagoMediaMan Senior member

Skokie? :)

2. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I never thought that I'd miss Manton's rantings about the weather in this threak.

3. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

What?

By "pressure," I mean the external influence on an individual to undertake a particular activity or belief that he does not already desire to underrtake (i.e. being pushed to do something you do not want to do.)

Sometimes, fear is certainly involved--such as when being forced to take swimming lessons or ride a bike without training wheels, in my own experience. Afterall, fear is a primary reason people do not want to do certain things. However, it isn't always, and most importantly, being pressured to face the things one is afraid of is often the best way to overcome one's fear.

4. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

That is largely dependent upon your definition of goals. If your goals are those which you have been conditioned to by society, then yes, you will suffer to achieve them. Your endurance in tolerating this suffering is dependent upon your ignorance of their ultimate futility. Suffering is is no way intrinsic to the pursuit of a life of love, truth and happiness. In fact, these can't even be called "goals". There is no need to work for them. They are within you always, you just need to realize that.

5. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I wouldn't call that "pressure". I certainly think it is beneficial to encourage people to face their fears, but the decision to do so ultimately must be made by the individual, not a parent or teacher. Under no circumstance is it beneficial to force someone to do something they are not prepared to do.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013

6. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

Let's check in again after you have potty trained a child. Or done anything with a child, for that matter.

7. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

don't tell me you're reading this?

8. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I like to write, but I do so rarely. I like to read, as well, but interestingly never did when I was in school. It was only on my own free will that I learned how much I truly enjoy it.

9. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

That's kind of a specious argument. Of course you shit in a pot, but that is something you create an understanding of with children, not the pressure, or fear, of having to shit in a pot.

10. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

I arrived back in NY on Tuesday after a two month absence and I'm already sick. It's amazing how perceptible the humidity and poor air quality are when you experience it freshly.

11. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

This is so true. The other day some idiot who had never been in prison had the audacity to tell me that prison was a terrible place and that he wouldn't be happy there. I told him "you cannot know how happy you would have been under conditions you've never actually experienced" and he immediately retracted his comment and wondered how anyone would ever comment on something they had yet to experience.

12. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

Yes, it's apparent you never liked reading in school, because your reading comprehension sucks.

My point is that left to their own devices no child will simply learn to read and write on their own, which in turn would prevent them from exercising their free will to read (or not read) later in life. If you value the ability to read now, then you should be thankful that someone forced you to learn how to do it.

So stop blathering on with this pseudo-philosophical drivel already. I don't care how healthy-yet-non-sexual your relationship is with your mother - at some point she pressured you to do something you didn't want to do and you are better off for it today.

13. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

These pretzels are making me thirsty!

15. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I don't see why you need to insult me. Of course children should be taught to read and write. I never said they shouldn't. But pressure or fear never has to enter that equation.