• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reasons why New York Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
my fairway is gigantic but it's the same story, they are always restocking and half the aisles are impassable at any given time.

Whole Foods is way more orderely but they just don't carry so many necessities that I can't shop there exclusively.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree re: Fairway. It's good for staples if they have it in stock. The one in Brooklyn isn't too bad if you have a car--we have friends near us with one that shop there regularly, every now and then we go with them and stock up on non-perishables.

Whole Foods is good for produce and meat and seafood. Just about anything else there is overpriced, and like Manton said, you definitely can't do all your shopping there.

We use a combination of a local greengrocer than I love, Union Market (see rant above), and a Met Food near us for staples (milk etc).

Last edited:

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i live next door to a trader joe's. very handy to run down on a tuesday at 8.30 AM and have the place to myself.

thursday evening through monday it is a nightmare.

outside of that i do top ups in sahadi's, such a great store.

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What about Fresh Direct? Anyone use that?

Great produce and meats are just too convenient for me to use Fresh Direct honestly.

We actually used to use FreshDirect in our last apartment because we were pretty far from stores I liked. On the whole, we really liked it. Our biggest issue with it was that you can't pick the produce you get, so sometimes you get really unripe bananas or avocados or whatever. Meat and seafood is good though. Prices a bit steep, but not out of the ordinary for New York, and the convenience is definitely nice.

But, like pB, we now live within three blocks of a good greengrocer and four from a great butcher, so we haven't used them in quite some time.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We use Fairway for ordinary shopping, Schatzie for our butcher, Zabar's for finished specialties, and Citarella for high-end, special occasion ingredients. Dopey, on the UWS, you should be spoilt for choice.

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The food shopping options on the UWS are one the best things about that neighborhood, IMO.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Foo: we use a combination of Fairway, Trader Joes, Fresh Direct and West Side Market. Citarella very rarely and West Side Market only a little bit more often. I asked because I assume Fresh Direct is the Devil, but don't really know. It has to be absurdly overpriced, but my wife insists it really isn't. I don't think we have used Gristede's or Food Emporium more than five times total in the six years we have lived on the UWS.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
USQ Food Emporium is, as PB said, not bad. Gristedes are just universally disgusting. believe it or not, back in the late 70s/early 80s they were considered a 'fancy' semi-gourmet grocery store! We split btwn USQ farmers' mkt, WF, Agata&V, and Citarella, depending on what's needed. GoE on 14th was an old favorite bu since A&V opened we go there less. Stop in TJ at opening after dropping kidz off maybe 4 times a year. Ottomanelli/Florence/Pino's are all good for meat but a little far afield. Faicco's & Baczynsky's (EV Meat Mkt) are also good...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
UNSQ Farmers Market is absurdly expensive. The markets in Brooklyn, while smaller are always not only low priced, but quite a steal.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have actually never been to the USQ farmer's market amazingly enough.

Used to live right by the Grand Army Plaza farmer's market in Park Slope. Some stalls very pricey, some very reasonable. On the whole, we really enjoyed it--it is still the thing I most miss about Park Slope. We have one right by us in our new place, but it's about a third the size of the GAP one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads