Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

I'm not blaming the city, just sure they will get named (along with anyone remotely associated) in the lawsuit. Maybe not.

It's one thing to be drunk and stupid, or overload a deck, but this poor gal did something we all do. The balcony looks really solid.

[​IMG]

lefty

2. romafan

romafan Senior member

balcony looks solid, bu i'm not sure about that railing these guys are peering down at. supposedly the date asked if it was safe when she popped herself up there and was told 'totally, i do this all the time'. as someone w/ a healthy fear of heights i would never park myself on that - it is almost flush w/ the edge of the balcony - no setback, straight down...

3. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Was she leaning on it or sitting on top of it? I'm unclear.

If leaning, that's scary. If sitting... Why would you sit on top of that railing?

4. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

she wasn't on that balcony with the people, but rather that railing that broke

5. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

When I lived on the fourth floor and had two balconies, I set up a rig to rappel down, just for fun. Then I realized i was being an idiot and never did it. My balcony also had aluminum railings. I tied into the vertical posts, which were sunk into the cement cap mounted on the brick balcony wall, but the cap was only three inches tall. It felt sturdy, but . . .
    TBH, I was as much afraid of my neighbors calling the cops or just generally being thought insane as anything else. It was a generalized punk out over an idea that seemed cool to think of but stupid to actually do. In any case, no regrets.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013

6. romafan

romafan Senior member

yes, she was on the balcony directly below where the people are standing - they are looking down on the scene

i don't think leaning would be scary - that would be the normal thing to do, lean against it w/ your forearms, take in the view. i believe she kind of hoisted herself up so that she was sitting on it, facing back toward the building /w her back facing out (if that makes sense). it looks like the top rail collapsed (date heard 2 'pops') downward and she tipped back and went over

7. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Yeah--by scary, I meant it's scary that it would have collapsed. Leaning against a rail is a normal thing to do. Sitting on top of it... That's just asking for it. Not only is it not meant to support weight like that, but you could just plain lose your balance.

Very sad all the same.

8. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

By the way you have a five-minute grace period. See # 34.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/parking/violation_codes.shtml

9. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

10. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Why can't any restaurants (at least the 20 or so I've seen do this in the last week) get "prix fixe" correct? Small but smoldering annoyance.

11. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

:laugh:

12. lefty

lefty Senior member

Had to drive north on Crosby from Howard to Houston at rush hour tonight which meant crossing all the people driving west to get into the tunnel. Much blocking of the box, including one guy who kept creeping in despite the fact that he had sat in the intersection for three red lights. The passenger in the cab behind me finally hopped out and asked the guy if he was an idiot or just a fucking asshole. Nearly came to blows.

lefty

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Why did you have to drive? That's an insanely short distance.

14. lefty

lefty Senior member

That was the start of the trip and the most exciting. Headed home to Harlem.

My own fault for letting my wife talk me into driving to that area at rush hour on a Friday.

lefty

15. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

:rolleyes: