Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I fear buying fish in Chinatown solely because of the odors that one encounters.

Fortunately, I live near a Citarella.

2. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

the western beef on metropolitan avenue actually has a great seafood section. (its technically Ridgewood/Maspeth) the seafood section its privately run by vietnamese. of course you have to actually drive there (even though its technically less than 2 miles away from you) or maybe take the Q54. I've done the Q54 but it takes too long. I remember telling the friends I made at the dog run a year ago about the stellar fish there and eventually I'd see them Zip Car it. Its a western beef though so its slightly warehouse-y ghetto-ish. its a great place to stock up on groceries.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I know the exact spot you are talking about. That is a really, really weird area. Warehouses, everything looks deserted. My gf used to rent storage space there (until she moved it all into my place). I always imagine that there are bodies rotting in tubs in the basements of those places. Like that SAW movie stuff could totally be going on in one of those run down shacks.

There's that other fish place on metropolitan and Lorimer-ish. I don't like the smell of it from the outside though...

4. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I remember teaching my teen aged cousin how to drive a manual transmission around those warehouse side streets on a sunday. the area is totally deserted on a sunday. you could easily murder someone there and get away with it. it slowly turning into artists studios though. so much affordable (at least affordable then) space.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013

5. patrickBOOTH

I find it kind of hilarious that amongst all of that desolate wasteland there is this really nice modern office building for the MTA that just sprouts near the bridge.

6. patrickBOOTH

A Fun Fact for you: The first building ever to be air conditioned in America is one of those now artist studios on 1040 Metropolitan Ave by Morgan Ave. :teach:

7. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I rushed seven blocks to my car this morning, but got there two minutes after the alternate side no parking time kicked in. I thought that being only two minutes late, I would avoid being ticketed, but there was a police car already camped behind me.

Fortunately, the fat cop was so busy yapping on her phone that she didn't notice the time or see me walk past her, slip in the car and drive off. Yay! No ticket!!

8. patrickBOOTH

Co-workers denied my idea for a team building exercise. I proposed we all collectively sing the opera parts to "Bohemian Rhapsody". Too bad, I don't work with Dopey...

9. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

ah, a return to liquid air ...

10. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Brother of a friend has a tiny restaurant less than two blocks away from the Western Beef. You guys should check out if you're in the area. PITA to get to if you don't have a car though and why I don't go more often.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bunker-Vietnamese/357555531009016

11. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I don't know how you guys deal with alternate side street parking. It would drive me nuts.

12. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

It drives me nuts, too. I normally keep my car downtown in a lot with my father so he can use it and because I rarely do. I brought it uptown yesterday so I could bring it in for servicing this morning. Sometimes I leave it on the street at night after a long trip, which inevitably means planning my life around how I get the car back to the lot. It is a huge hassle, but I use the car so rarely that I just live with it.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013

13. lefty

lefty Senior member

I'm always the last to know. Arthur Ave was great. Randazzo's had what I was after - plump fresh non-wet scallops for $13/lb. Grabbed some bread, wine and stayed for lunch.

Thanks.

lefty

14. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I can see how keeping your father in a lot with your car would be very convenient. Good move!

15. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

glad you liked it, left. I had been going there to eat since the 90s when I had some friends at Fordham grad school. For some idiotic reason, despite living 15 minutes away by car, and an absurdly easy straight shot no less, and despite my various kitchen adventures and trekking all over W'Chester and manhattan for good ingredients, it never occured to me to shop there for food until some dolled up Bronxville SuperMom mentioned how great the markerts were. I went the next day and have now been going on most weekends.