• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reasons why New York Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We do our regular grocery shopping at Fairway. Prices are as reasonable as they get in New York, and for what it's worth, the cashiers move very quickly.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We do our regular grocery shopping at Fairway. Prices are as reasonable as they get in New York, and for what it's worth, the cashiers move very quickly.

I used to live down the street from Fairway. Now that I shop at my local whole foods, my grocery bill is at least double.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cocktails at Angel's Share restored my faith in humanity. A faith that was immediately broken when I got back to Philly.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a lot of small independent organic bodega-ish places by me. I try to do as much shopping at them as possible. Old Asian owners, FTW. The problem with them is they are rarely a sone stop shop. I always end up having to go to two other places for like 1 item each they don't have. Annoying, but I hate dealing with snotty, lazy teenagers at some of the other places.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We went to a Food Emporium and from the outside it looked like it would be a legit grocery. Instead, it was tiny, dirty, and grossly overpriced. This one lady in front of me had purchased a small caprese salad and it was 16 bucks. WTF.

Oh, and the cashiers' efficiency resembled that of the TSA.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the owner of Gristede's wanted to become mayor of NYC, I shivered at the thought of the city being run like a Gristede store.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't find whole foods all that outrageously expensive. Though, for various staples, Fairway is the best deal near me by a long shot.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Union Market is the only grocery store chain I look forward to going to. It's a tightly run ship. The Korean stores around Brooklyn are a great value. That market on Essex is a bundle of fun too, but I've only browsed.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Christ I hate Union Market. It is always completely overrun with snotty children and their self righteous parents.

Yesterday, my feet got run over in Union Market by a kid on a ******* *scooter*. Riding down the insanely crowded aisles, on a goddamn scooter. His dad was right there by him and had no apparent problem with this.

Despite my hatred for Union Market, I do shop there just about every week--they do sell some things I can't easily get elsewhere in the neighborhood. Great bread, good cheese, good coffee, decent meat and seafood. Everything else in there is just ridiculous though, and the experience of going in there makes me want to murder people.

Edit: Also, everyone seems to go in there, get right into the chokepoints in the produce department through which everyone has to pass to get to the rest of the store, and then just ******* stand there debating the merits of the organic Meyer lemons vs the regular organic lemons. It's like Times Square in there, you have to lower your shoulder and barrel through people just to move.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

I don't find whole foods all that outrageously expensive.

+1 overall, though some items will be price at a premium.

I live near a Fairway, so inevitably I end up shopping there more than any other place, though I don't particularly like it. The one near me isn't massive in size, yet they deal with a heavy volume of shoppers, so it's always a clusterfuck of people and restocking carts (i'm certain they only restock when i'm in the store). I don't like the seafood at Fairway either.

Food Emporium is beyond awful, though I haven't been to one in years so maybe it has gotten worse. Gristedes is also bad, though again, haven't been in years. I have never shopped at a D'Agostino, though in my mind I see it as on par with F-E and Gristedes, and I base that opinion on the storefronts.

if I had to pick one store to sutain myself, it would be Citarella.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics