• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Really now, what is an Esquire? Are any of you esquires?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the US, Esquire is used for lawyers. However, you should never address yourself as "Esquire". Therefore, if you are sending a letter to a lawyer named John Smith, in the address bar of the letter you would write: "John Smith, Esq." however, in the signature block where you sign, you would refer to yourself as "Odoreater Manoflaw" without the "Esq." Your letter head should also not refer to you as "Esq."

At least that's what I was taught at the very white shoe law firm where I was previously employed.

Like harvey said, it's probably not illegal for nonlawyers to use the title here, but it will be used as proof that you are practicing law without a license if you use it and are not a lawyer.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
I've got quite a few letters to put after my name, but almost always choose not to. People don't give a damn about your education, they care if you can do the job right.

FLMountainMan, Esq., MBA, MPA, CFE, SCV

And in fact, it often annoys people. There used to be an administrator at a university where I worked who had two PhDs and actually signed his name "Buckminster Fauntleroy*, PhD, PhD." People just thought he was pretentious.

*Not his real name. I kinda wish it were, though.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I've got quite a few letters to put after my name, but almost always choose not to. People don't give a damn about your education, they care if you can do the job right.

FLMountainMan, Esq., MBA, MPA, CFE, SCV

This is one of the things that bugs me about health care. It's very credential driven and I swear people manufacture letters to put after their names. I only use the various letters after my name when corresponding with idiotic regulatory/compliance folks from the government. They like to play that game the most and when I pull out the stops, I've got at least 20 letters I can legit put behind my name.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I only use the various letters after my name when corresponding with idiotic regulatory/compliance folks from the government. They like to play that game the most and when I pull out the stops, I've got at least 20 letters I can legit put behind my name.

frown.gif
I'm the exception, right?........Right?
laugh.gif

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what I really hate about the French system. We don't use those letters for titles or diplomas, the way they do in the UK and in the US, and we certainly don't use the titles in normal conversation the way they do in Germany.

I am incredibly arrogant and pretentious and I wish I could have a soup letter too! Maybe I should just move back to the US.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
I am incredibly arrogant and pretentious and I wish I could have a soup letter too! Maybe I should just move back to the US.

Aaah don't feel bad. You're French. It's in your blood. At least you can enjoy the World Cup now right?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roy
Aaah don't feel bad. You're French. It's in your blood. At least you can enjoy the World Cup now right?

suh-NAP!

smile.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
frown.gif
I'm the exception, right?........Right?
laugh.gif

But of course. And this is why your time in government is merely an interlude until you hit the big time. Don't forget, I worked for a regulatory agency myself, straight out of my first graduate degree. Eighteen frustrating months.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roy
Aaah don't feel bad. You're French. It's in your blood.
You really think so? You're not just saying that?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
"Practicing law without a license" is definitely one of the funniest crimes of which I'd eventually like to be convicted. Right after "practicing medicine without a license."

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I only use the various letters after my name when corresponding with idiotic regulatory/compliance folks from the government.

Aside from my business cards, the only time I use PhD is when dealing asshats too! It let's them know they're not dealing with some schmuck they can push around.

Btw, why is it .esq and not just esq or perhaps Esq.?

(Note the periods.)

b

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
In the US, Esquire is used for lawyers. However, you should never address yourself as "Esquire". Therefore, if you are sending a letter to a lawyer named John Smith, in the address bar of the letter you would write: "John Smith, Esq." however, in the signature block where you sign, you would refer to yourself as "Odoreater Manoflaw" without the "Esq." Your letter head should also not refer to you as "Esq."

this

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Aside from my business cards, the only time I use PhD is when dealing asshats too! It let's them know they're not dealing with some schmuck they can push around.

Btw, why is it .esq and not just esq or perhaps Esq.?

(Note the periods.)

b

It's "Esq." I have no idea what the previous poster was doing (maybe it's a local thing?)

Usul

Reaction score
I have a question for the experts here: my father was Batman, so should I sign my name to correspondence as XXX XXX, Batman or is that something that should only appear on things addressed to me?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Usul
I have a question for the experts here: my father was Batman, so should I sign my name to correspondence as XXX XXX, Batman or is that something that should only appear on things addressed to me?

You should probably just shoot yourself and get it all over with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads